Contiguous Parishes (our neighbours)
Bradford on Avon - Hilperton - Holt - Trowbridge - Whaddon
GenUKI - For information relating to Wiltshire and Staverton
Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre - The Wiltshire County Archives for all historical documents and the place to obtain original copies
Wiltshire Community History - Historical information for parishes within the Wiltshire County jurisdiction.
Register of One-Place Studies - Staverton Entry
The Parish Church of St. Paul
St. Paul's church is a grade II listed building and was originally built in around the 13th century and further modifications and rebuilds were carried out to improve the structure and size as its congregation grew with the size of the village. The church is accessible only by a footpath which is located in between two buildings. The church was eventually closed on the 1st of March 2011 due to the decrease of attendees and the cost of maintenance and upkeep.
Church Closure and Re-development
Parish Register Transcripts
Parish Registers held at WSHC
Marriages 1681-1753, 1815-1822, 1861-1996
BT's with Trowbridge until 1837
Staverton is a small village just 3 miles of Trowbridge. Located near to the River Avon and the River Biss. It isn't surprising that settlers began living there as far back as the Iron Age and continues through the Roman period. The Kennet and Avon canal runs along the south of the village as does the Great Western railway. The Kennet and Avon canal also brings with it it's own marina which serves the canal community and also provides great walking oppurtunities as one direction leads to the fantastic town of Bradford on Avon and beyond is the lovely village of Avoncliff and the other direction leads to the brilliant Caen Hill Locks outside Devizes. The village consists mainly of residential and farmland with a few business's, these include The Old Bear Inn, the CPUK factory which used to be the Nestle factory and a horse riding school.
Books and Publications Relating to Staverton
"The Book of Staverton - An Ancient West Wiltshire Parish" by Pete Lavis. ISBN 1 84114 145 3. Copyright - Pete Lavis. Published by Halsgrove with whom full rights remain and are not released. A publication is still available to purchase.
"A Century of Nestlé at Staverton 1897–1997" by Pete Lavis. ISBN ) 9532792. Copyright - Pete Lavis, Nestlé UK Ltd, Staverton, 1998. Permission given by Nestlé until 15th March 2018 for public access on this OPC website albeit copyright protected from further dissemination - a pdf version is available here A publication is available from Trowbridge lending library.
"Staverton 2000 - The Story Behind the Village Millennium Tapestry" coordinated by Pete Lavis. Copyright is with Staverton Parish Council on behalf of the Staverton Millennium Tapestry Team. Copyright release is given by Staverton Parish Council for public access on this OPC website albeit copyright protected from further dissemination - a pdf version is available here. A publication is available from Trowbridge reference library.
"Staverton School Centenary - Village History Trail" produced & published by Pete Lavis. This document is not copyright protected - a pdf version is available here. A publication is available from Trowbridge reference library.
"A History of St. Paul’s Church, Staverton" written, designed, printed and published by Pete Lavis. Copyright - Pete Lavis. See note below - a pdf version is available here. This document is available only from Pete Lavis' family.
About March of 2016 John Corfield asked the readers of the Wiltshire Times for a little hlep in tracking down a copy of a book - Read about his success here
“Where published books have been included on this website release of copyright has been obtained for public access albeit not allowing further dissemination. (The pdf files are large so allow time for opening)”.
Much of the material which features here has been kindly donated by the family of Peter Lavis for which are very grateful. Peter (known by most in the village as Pete) is featured in the “People and Parish Notables” section.
1837 - April 1936 Melksham Registration District
April 1936 - Present Trowbridge Registration District
Buildings and Land
Staverton's own railway station, Staverton Halt, was opened in 1906 and was used by villagers and Nestle Factory Staff for 60 years before it was closed down in 1966 and was later demolished.
Then and Now (1) 2015 Then & Now (2) 2015
Crime and Legal Matters
Staverton's firs school was founded in 1850 and was housed in a canal wharf warehouse
Emigration and Migration
Employment and Business
Non Conformity and Other Places of Worship
The Wesleyan Methodists grew in popularity through the 19th century. The Methodist Chapel was built in 1824 which could seat 100 worshippers. The building was rectangular, built of ashlar with a slated roof and had pointed windows and door. From 1867 baptisms were allowed to take place there and 59 took place between 1872 and 1983. While the attendance was good in the first half of the 20th century it dwindled in the latter half. The chapel closed in 1985 after the last service was held in July of that year. The building was then sold to the Nestle factory who used it to store their archives and it has since been put up for sale. Methodist Church Gallery
Methodist Chapel - Now and Then 2015
People and Parish Notables
Census Returns Transcripts
Elections, Polls and Taxes
Much of the material which features here have been kindly donated by Peter's family which we gratefully acknowledge. A photograph of Peter may be found in the People Gallery above
Poor Law, Charity and the Workhouse
War, Conflict and Military Matters
British Red Cross/Voluntary Aid Detachment