Stratton St. Margaret is a large Parish and some local details have been separated by area please see the following pages - Gorse Hill - Penhill - Nythe - Kingsdown - Upper Stratton - Lower Stratton and the Main Parish has now been split into two sections Part II can be found here
Contiguous Parishes (our neighbours)
Blunsdon St. Andrew - Broad Blunsdon - Chiseldon - Liddington - Rodbourne Cheney - South Marston - Stanton Fitzwarren - Swindon - Wanborough
In 2018 boundary changes created Swindon North - Nythe, Liden & Eldene
Websites of Interest
GenUKI - For information on Wiltshire
Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre - The Wiltshire County Archives for all historical documents and the place to obtain original copies
Wiltshire Community History - Historical information for parishes within the Wiltshire County jurisdiction.
Stratton St. Margaret Parish Council - Official Parish Council Website
Wikipedia - Stratton St Margaret - Wikipedia entry for Stratton St Margaret
St. Margarets Church - link to the parish church site.
Swindon Library - Swindon Library's online collection of Stratton St Margaret photographs
Swindon Viewpoint - Local Video News Website includes Archive footage and photographs.
Highworth & Swindon Poor Law Union - Information on the Workhouse for Stratton St. Margaret
The Parish Church of St. Margaret of Antioch
There was originally an Anglo Saxon wattle & thatch church on the site dating back before 1000 AD. A Norman church was built in its place and the current Church of England parish church of St. Margaret of Antioch dates from the 13th century in the reign of Edward I (Edward Longshanks 1272-1307). Read more about St. Margaret's Church here.
Parish Register Transcripts
Please note that some of the parish council burial records were burnt and therefore the lists below are not complete
Green Road Cemetery, Upper Stratton 1861-1985 (Please note that anything in italics within the spreadsheet have been added or amended and may not appear in the original registers.) Green road was originaly set up by and for Non-Conformist burials.
Lower Stratton Parish Cemetery 1869-1985 (Please note that anything in italics within the spreadsheet has been added or amended and may not appear in the original registers.
Available Gravestone images and look ups for dates after 1985 for two graveyards can be obtained by contacting the OPC via the Contact Us Tab at the top of this page and selecting OPCs from the drop down menu. It is anticipated that all Headstones will be photographed and made available online until that time please request a copy from the OPC who can be contacted via the Contact us link at the top of the page.
Parish Registers held at WSHC
BTs 1837-1863 are held at Bristol Record Office
Stratton St. Margaret, once a village, has now become the north east part of Swindon and is rapidly becoming suburbanised. For a full history of the Parish follow link - Parish History by Nigel Chalk
1837 - 1896 Highworth Registration District
1896 - Present Swindon Registration District
Parish Celebrations and Festivals
|Coronation Booklet of King George VI 1937||Programme for the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II, 1953||Golden Jubilee Events Held by Schools 2012|
|Storm Showers Add to Family Fun 2014||Stratton Festival 2016 Poster|
Buildings and Land
For a list of buildings and their details please read our document Buildings and Land of Stratton St. Margaret
Farms Gallery Many thanks to Clive Carter for supplying additional information for individual farm histories below.
|Catsbrain Farm Gallery||Catsbrain Farm||Proposed New Development at Catsbrain Farm 2014||Catsbrain Farm Development Phase 1 Site Map 2014|
|Catsbrain Farm Development Phase 1 Business Layout 2014|
Crowdy’s Hill Farm
15 Acres, situated on the west of Cricklade Road, was originally bought by Henry Tuckey in 1850’s from Upper Stratton Farm, also known as Coxpits. In 1860 it was sold as part of the estate of Thomas Tuckey, Land Tax shown as 14s. In the 1948 and 1951 Street Directories P. Herring is living here. It is now site of the Co-op Funeral Service.
Hyde Farm, Kingsdown
1891 Census shows Henry Hinder as farmer. Farm stock sold 27-09-1947 by Mr. T. H. Higgs who was quitting, the farm being sold 22-09-1947 by Mr. C T Hazell.
Kingsdown Manor Farm
(217 acres) (also known as Corn Farm) includes an area called 'Peak's Hay' where Groundwell Estate is today. In 1796 Enclosure awarded to John Phelps & James Crowdy. 1829 Sale shows Richard Biggs as owner and Thomas Harris as tenant farmer. The lot is Farm house, barns, stables etc with 217 acres of Arable & Pasture land with Windmill and Brick & Lime kilns . 1881 Census shows Samuel Coleborne &1911 Kelley’s shows farmer as Joseph Gleave Twiss. 1924 Rate book shows J R Farr.1948 Street Directory shows T Calvert living here, 1951 T & M G Calvert, and 1951-63 Geoffrey Griffiths. Farm is now converted to business units and several private dwellings.
Marsh Farm (Green Farm)
The farm was at Stratton Green. 1844 Mr Reynolds is given as farmer. Joseph Hayden was farmer here according to the 1881 census. The 1948 Street Directory shows Emily Baker living here, but now called Green farm. By 1951 it had reverted to Marsh farm as listed in the 1951 Street Directory with Holloway family in occupation.
Stretching between Stratton & Wanborough parishes. 1796 owned by Rev. Wellinger Goodling, 1863 sale of 37acres William Horton as tenant. 1868-1881 occupied by Richard Kemble increasing from 37 to 104 acres. The Pinnegar family owned the farm from 1886 to 1916. 1950s to 1971 residents were Stanley F Bailey and his family until purchased by Bradley's to build estate around Nyland Road.
Situated on the Swindon Road 1608 shows as owned by Merton College. 1796 William Croome is farmer.. In 1861-71 Census Steven Davis, 1881 Census Stephen Jarvis, 1890 Directory Joseph Higgins, 1901 Census Edward Tuckwell, and in 1911 Census Henry Wiltshire are shown as the farm bailiffs living here with family. 1939 Directory has John Harris as the farmer. The farm was bought and Deloro Sellite plant built here in 1950’s itself since demolished and site is now a Business Park.
Pidgeon House Farm
1796 John Beckensale, 1841-1861 Tilley family, 1881 William Chapman, 1896 Rev. Scott, 1910 Rev. Burgess, 1911 Joseph Russell, 1936-1970 John Peapoll. Shown on O.S. Maps c.1900 also shown on 1922 map as being behind Jacobs Ladder in Ermin Street.
Ryall Farm (Roiall Field, Royal Farm)
Believed to date back to 1602. 1796 Enclosure Award to William Tompkins, now part of Honda Factory site was originally alongside Highworth Road. 1880 David Broughton, 1891 Mr Goddard,1901 James Waldron, Kelly’s 1905 Directory, 1918-1931 Fred Bourton and 1939 Register shows Henry James Bourton in occupation although in 1936 Arthur Greenaway is shown on Electoral Roll.
Sturrey Brook Farm
The farm was situated on the Highworth Road.
Upper Stratton Farm
Stood opposite school in Green Road where Orchard Grove is now. Henry Norris farmer in 1924 paid rates of £33 13s. 8d.
The parish of Stratton St. Margaret is crisscrossed with many footpaths. Some of these footpaths follow the ancient walkways that the early Stratton residents would have used. The Boundary Close Footpath is preserved as such. More details about the footpaths
Hospitals and Health & Social Facilities
|Map Showing Parish Shrinkage||Map of c1804||Ordnance Survey Map 1811-1812||Ordnance Survey Map 1816|
|Map of 1841||Map of 1882||Map of 1893||Map of Land for Sale 1906|
Planning & Development
Property to be Let
Recreation and Playing Fields
Sale of Buildings and Land
For list of pubs, their history and landlords go to Public Houses 1700s-Present
Railway, Canal & Public Transport
Stratton station was on Highworth Light Railway which opened on 9th May 1883, closing to passengers on 28th February 1953 and to all traffic on 3rd August 1962. At one period up to 100 churns of milk were sent to London daily on the railway. Read more about the
Crime and Legal Matters
Animal Related Crime
Drunk and Disorderly
Miscellaneous Crime Items
In early 1891 Katie Speck aged 5 was found murdered in Kingsdown Brook, in late 1892 Frank Franklin aged 19 committed suicide on the railway line, leaving a letter to his mum admitting to the murder.
The Swindon & District Year Book for 1948 is quite an important document for family historians since it lists names and address of residents of the parish. Once the 1921 Census is released for public viewing in 2022 there will be no other available Census for public view scheduled for release until the 1951 Census is released in 2052. The 1931 Census was lost in a fire in its entirety in 1942 and there was no Census taken during 1941 due to WWII action therefore leaving a large gap between 1921 and 1951. The National Identity Card Records of 1939 is the only other source available which could help fill the gap this is controlled by the NHS Archives it is now available to view via Find My Past but charges will apply unless you have a subscription even then strict rules apply for access.
A few children were educated by means of the rent of lands left in 1720 by John Hurring. The local school board was formed February 12, 1876 and was dissolved by the Education Act of 1902.
For more information about the schools in and around Stratton please read this article.
Headlands Grammar School
|Placement Letters 1963||Workbook Cover & Timetable for Susan Lott 1963||Headlandian Magazine 1967|
|G.C.E. Examination Timetable 1968||Headlandian Magazine 1968||School Sports Day Programme 1968|
Ruskin Junior School
St. Catherine's R.C. Primary
Emigration and Migration
Employment and Business
Agriculture and Land
Animals and Pets
Apprenticeships were often advertised in local papers. Please refer to Employment News 1800-1899 for examples
Pressed Steel & Rover Group
Beauty and Hairdressing
Arkell Family and Brewery
See also articles under Kingsdown
|Arkell Family Overwiew||Complete History of Arkell's||Partnership Dissolved 1846||Probate Notice for John Arkell Deceased 1882|
|Dinner in a Barrel 1856||Promotional Mileage Chart 1969||Beerex Festival 1976||Obituary and Tributes to Peter Arkell 2010|
Brickmaking & Building Supplies
Carpentry & Sawyers
Bramhill Sawmill was just up Oxford Road on the site of the old brick works, Burden & Evergreen Closes now cover this area.
Cart and Wagon Builders
W. H. Hill
Clothing, Footwear and Textiles
J. Compton Sons & Webb - Swindon Clothing manufacturers had a factory in Stratton which was used to produce uniforms during the wars. The main site was in Station Road, Swindon.
Cooke's was a small boot & shoe repair shop
Distribution & Warehousing
Entertainment and Hospitality
Food Preparation and Manufactureing
Garages, Cycle Shops, Vehicle Body Shops, Tyre Supplies and Petrol Stations
Garden Centres & Nurseries
General Business Items
North Wilts Sanitary Steam Laundry - Hoddinott & Sons trading from 4th May 1891. Several reported accidents and mis-treatment to animals in local press. In 1894 a Miss Holliday brought in from London, was made manager.
Medical and Scientific
Steam Flour Mill – On Canal at Greenbridge, in 1891 owned by Frogley & Deacon.
Built for 1914-1918 war, a lot was demolished and sold off in 1931. The rest of site was first used by the Pioneer Corps during WWII, then as a pow camp housing first Cypriots then Germans. Taken over by Plessey's after the war some of the buildings still remain, making up Kembry Park Trading Estate. Stratton Powder Works
Retail Shops, Butchers and Food Outlets
Basil Gore was the local butcher in Beechcroft Road
Fast Food and Takeaways
Beechcroft Road - fish & chip shop next door to Gore's butchers
Newsagents and Tobacconists
Richardson & Rabbetts at Beechcroft was the well known local Newsagents, and tobacconist’s store, today occupied by a Hardware store