Allington is a small hamlet, 1/2 mile north of All Cannings. There are many barrows in the neighbourhood and the Rybury camp (Iron Age) is on a hill 1 1/2 miles to the northeast. [source: The Red Book, published by Methuen, 1949]
The hamlet of Allington can be found on the Horton Road (off A361, London Road, near Devizes)
Buildings and Land
Grade II Listed
5 Allington Bethel Street Baptist Chapel Hotspur House
Crime and Legal Matters
National School Admissions
Emigration and Migration
Employment and Business
Non Conformity and Other Places of Worship
A Strict Baptist Chapel (Bethel Street Baptist) opened here in 1828 through the efforts of Joseph Parry, the principle farmer of Allington, the village Evangelist, and became a prominent social centre for the people of Allington. Most of the inhabitants attended the chapel. On Census Sunday 1851 the morning attendance was 80, whilst 100 people came to chapel in the afternoon. Until 1881 the villagers were married at All Cannings. In that year the Chapel was registered to solemnize their own marriages. The chapel closed between c1927 and 1937, after that weekly services continued through the 20th century and into the present one. Strict Baptist Church Gallery Chapelyard Memorials Survey - A small area in front of the Chapel. A farmyard is located behind the burial ground.
People and Parish Notables
Census Returns Transcripts
Please note that the Original 1841 Census Return has not survived.
Elections and Polls
Personal Research Items
Tuck Family Research Burial Extracts - These items were donated by Ken Tuck and contains entries that may or may not relate to the Tuck family however they have been published as such. Many references to Quaker entries may be found from across the county.
Poor Law, Charity and The Workhouse