Buildings and Land
Church Farm - next to church - history can be found here
Elborough Farm (124acres) - The farm covered 124 acres. The 1841 to 1871 Censuses show Henry Elborough as farmer here. In 1881 Edward Burrow was listed as head and the 1931 Kelly’s Directory shows Charles E Freeth living here. The buildings were demolished in 1987, the farmland becoming Stratone Village.
Breach Farm (28 acres) - Sited on the boarder with South Marston and is now part of airfield site, believed to date back to 13th Century. Enclosure awarded to Harry Ovens in 1796. 1841 census has William Burdock, 1851 John Collett, 1861 William Collett, 1871 John Collett, 1881 census has William Jacob Collett as farmer here, still there in 1890 in North Wilts Directory, and both 1901 Census and 1911 Kelly’s shows farmer as Henry Manners. 1948 Street directory shows Mr W Weston in residence.
Diamond Farm - Ermin Street - 1948 street directory has L P & P S Hinder in residence and L P & O P Hinder by 1951. (became Hinders Yard)
Marsh Farm - Stratton Green - Joseph Hayden was farmer here in 1881 census. 1948 Street Directory shows Emily Baker living here, now called Green farm, has reverted to Marsh farm in 1951 Directory with Holloway family in charge.
Nythe Farm 1783 - Isolated farm to south of parish, after the building of the A419 bypass came under Wanborough parish. 1881 census shows Richard Kemble as farmer here and 1890 North Wilts directory has Henry Fanners here. 1901 census shows William Bellamy and 1911 Kelly’s shows William Bourton Manners as farmers here. 1948 & 1951 Street Directories show A L Fisher & A Hyde living here.
Can be found on Ermin Street, Lower Stratton. An old coaching house originally the 'Sow & Piggs'. Three cottages sold for £60 in 1767. It became the Crown in 1792. It was rebuilt in 1832. A full licence granted in 1863 and bought by Arkells in 1868 from the Pavy family. Became a Berni Inn for a period in 1970-90's, but is now back in the ownership of Arkells.
Situated at 20 Bridge End Road it closed in 1912. It was known locally as ‘Hell Fire Corner’
Rising Sun Inn
Situated on Swindon Road. Closed in 1872, and is now Sleemans Stores
The Street, Lower Stratton. (158 Ermin Street). Originally bought as a beer house by Richard White around 1834, it was leased to the Star Brewery for 1/- (5p) a week. Bought by Arkells in 1869, full licence 1961 and modernised in 1970. An Emma Yeates was recorded as having died on the premises in 1937. In 2011 former Swindon footballer Paul Hunt took over the pub.
Employment and Business
Non Conformity and Other Places of Worship
People and Parish Notables
For entries in the 1868 Poll Book please refer to the main Stratton St. Margaret Page
Poor Law, Charity and the Workhouse