Contiguous Parishes (our neighbours)
Alderbury - Clarendon Park - Pitton & Farley - West Dean - Whiteparish
Websites of Interest
GenUKI - For information relating to Wiltshire and West Grimstead.
Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre - The Wiltshire County Archives for all historical documents and the place to obtain original copies.
Wiltshire Community History - Historical information for parishes within the Wiltshire County jurisdiction.
West Grimstead - Village Website.
Transcriptions of Parish Registers, census, photographs and other information about this village can be found on the OPC's website just Click Here
The Parish Church of St. John
Parish Register Transcripts
Parish Registers held at WSHC
West Grimstead was, on the whole, owned by wealthy noblemen and was part of larger manors or estates. There are early references to the De Grimstede family, the ownership of the village passing from them through the male line first to the Perots, then to the Berkeleys; next through the female line to the Breretons; again by the male line to Sir William Compton of Compton Wynyates. West Grimstead was then sold by Richard Compton to Sir Stephen Fox, Earl of Ilchester, and remained part of that estate through the 18th century until it was sold to the Earl of Radnor in 1801 at the time of the Enclosure Act. In 1916 the whole village was sold by the Longford Estate, mainly to sitting tenants.
1837 - 1896 Alderbury Registration District
1896 - Present Salisbury Registration District
Buildings and Land
Crime and Legal Matters
Emigration and Migration
Employment and Business
Non Conformity and Other Places of Worship
People and Parish Notables
Associations, Clubs, Organisations and Societies
1841 1851 1861 1871 1881 1891 1901 1911
Elections, Polls and Voters Lists
Poor Law, Charity and the Workhouse
Appointment of Overseers
Probate Index 1870 (WSHC)
War, Conflict and Military Matters