Contiguous Parishes (Our Neighbours)
Alderbury with Clarendon Park - Durnford - Laverstock & Ford - Pitton & Farley - Winterbourne Dauntsey
Winterbourne Dauntsey, Winterbourne Gunner, Porton, Idmiston, Gomeldon, Laverstock and Ford, Boscombe, Milford, Pitton and Farley are all within 3 miles of Winterbourne Earls. The city of Salisbury is 3½ miles.
Websites of Interest
Wiltshire Community History - For historical information about the Winterbournes.
The Parish Church of St. Michael & All Angels
The church was built in 1867/68 to serve the parishes of Winterbourne Earls and Winterbourne Dauntsey - both their churches being extremely dilapidated at that time. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners deemed it far less costly to build a new church to serve both villages than to repair the two old ones.
The walls of the new church were built entirely of flint stones from the two old churches; old mortar was sifted and used for sand. Other materials - ancient glass, and timbers were incorporated, memorials and windows were relocated. There is a scratch dial, or Mass clock, on the wall to the east of the entrance and another on the south side which were brought from the two old churches. The clocks were a form of sundial, but didn't tell the time, only the hours of church services. For a detailed description of St. Michael and All Angels, see 'Consecration of New Church 1868' below.
The old church at Winterbourne Earls - St. Michael's - was originally built in the 12th century. When Sir Richard Colt Hoare visited the parish in the 1830's he described the church as “mean-looking with a wooden turret”. In June 1867, during its demolition, wall paintings were unearthed - four murals, one on a Norman wall, the others painted about c1553.
Thomas a Beckett was Parish Priest here in his early years. He often conducted Mass for Henry II and his Court at the grand medieval Clarendon Palace nr Salisbury.
St. Michael & All Angels is in the Bourne Valley Team Ministry which comprises the parishes of Allington & Boscombe, Cholderton, Newton Tony, Idmiston with Porton & Gomeldon, Winterbourne Gunner & Dauntsey, Old Sarum, Hurdcott and Ford. The Rector is the Reverend Peter Ostli-East. The church is normally open to visitors during daylight hours.
The Reverend John Hockin Cartwright was Perpetual Curate and Rector of Winterbourne Earls and Dauntsey for 31 years from 1844 - 1875.
Parish Register Transcripts
Registers held at WSHC
The parish was named by fusing Winterbourne, meaning winter stream, with Earls - from the Earls of Salisbury. Along with her neighbouring sister parishes of Winterbourne Dauntsey and Winterbourne Gunner, the village lies 3½ miles north east of Salisbury and encompasses the hamlet of Hurdcott. The Bourne, a tributary of the River Avon, runs through the parish.
During the 18th century the wool trade was a very important source of income here - in 1767 one farmer owned 3,000 sheep - the majority of parishioners were employed in agriculture. In the 19th century, the three villages were self-sufficient. There was a post office, public houses and a school, boot and shoe makers, a draper, tailor, carpenter, wheelwright, grocer and baker, blacksmith, dressmakers and laundresses, a thatcher, florist and shopkeepers, a carrier, coal merchant and even a seminary for young ladies.
In 1934, the modern civil parish of ‘Winterbourne’ was created joining together Earls, Dauntsey and Gunner. At the time of the Domesday survey (1087) the combined population of the three villages was about 200-250. In 2001 the combined population was 1,336.
July 1837 - April 1936 Amesbury Registration District
April 1936 - Present Salisbury Registration district
Newspapers are a treasure trove of information for family history researchers and social historians - you may find your ancestors mentioned in the court columns either as the perpetrator or victim of crime. Primarily, articles shown are those that contain names of parishioners to assist family history researchers but these articles should not be presumed to be the only ones that appear in the in the given years, or that there are no articles in any of the years omitted. 1800-1899
Buildings and Land
There was a 25 bed Isolation Hospital in the village from 1902 - 1913.
Crime and Legal Matters
|Post Office 1855||Post Office 1859||Kellys 1867||Kellys 1875||Kellys 1889||Kellys 1895||Kellys 1898|
|Kellys 1903||Kellys 1907||Kellys 1911||Kellys 1915||Kellys 1931||Kellys 1939|
Emigration and Migration
Employment and Business
Non Conformity and Other Places of Worship
People and Parish Notables
Census Returns Transcripts
Elections and Polls
Thomas a Beckett was Parish Priest here in his early years
Poor Law, Charity and The Workhouse
War, Conflict and Military Matters
The War Memorial stands in St. Michael & All Angels churchyard. It was unveiled on Sunday 2nd February 1921 and bears the names of 21 men from Earls, Dauntsey and Gunner who gave their lives in WWI, and 6 who fell in WWII.
A house called The Poplars was a brush factory in the 19th century. The Black Horse pub was built in the 18th century. In 1795, Methodists met at the house of George Marshall; in 1843 a Wesleyan Methodist chapel was built which eventually closed in 1967.
Buildings and Land
People and Parish Notables