Contiguous Parishes (Our Neighbours)
Durnford - Idmiston - Pitton & Farley - Porton - Winterbourne Dauntsey - Winterslow
Websites of Interest
The Parish Church of St. Mary The Virgin
The church, consisting of a chancel, nave with south porch and a tower, has its origins in the 12th century. It is reputed to have been “much injured” by Cromwellians during the English Civil War. When Sir Richard Colt Hoare visited in the 1830’s, he wrote that the church was “small, and contains nothing of interest”.
There is a well preserved scratch dial, or Mass clock, on the east side of the porch - not its original position because it doesn't get the sun and is upside down! The clock was a form of sundial, but didn't tell the time, only the hours of church services.
St Mary's is in the Bourne Valley Team Ministry which comprises the parishes of Allington & Boscombe, Cholderton, Newton Tony, Idmiston with Porton & Gomeldon, Winterbourne Earls & Dauntsey, Old Sarum, Hurdcott and Ford. St Mary's is normally open to visitors during daylight hours. The Rector is the Reverend Canon V S Perrett. St Mary's photo gallery
The Reverend Charles Coleman, who died in 1815, was Rector of this parish for 46 years. His son, the Rev Charles John Coleman, succeeded him.
Parish Register Transcripts
Registers held at WSHC
Winterbourne Gunner is one of only two parishes in Wiltshire named after women. Winterbourne, meaning winter stream, is fused with Gunner - from Gunnora, wife of Henry de la Mare, who held the manor in the 13th century after her husband's demise. Sitting cheek by jowl with her sister parishes of Winterbourne Dauntsey and Winterbourne Earls, the village lies 4 miles north east of Salisbury. The Bourne, a tributary of the River Avon, runs through the parish.
During the 18th century the wool trade was a very important source of income here - in 1767 one farmer owned 3,000 sheep - the majority of parishioners were employed in agriculture. In the 19th century, the three villages were self-sufficient. There was a post office, public houses and a school, boot and shoe makers, a draper, tailor, carpenter, wheelwright, grocer and baker, blacksmith, dressmakers and laundresses, a thatcher, florist and shopkeepers, a carrier, coal merchant and even a seminary for young ladies.
In 1934, the modern civil parish of ‘Winterbourne’ was created by joining together Earls, Dauntsey and Gunner. At the time of the Domesday survey (1087) the combined population of the three villages was approximately 200-250. In 2001, the combined population was 1,336. In Days Gone By Gallery The Village Today Gallery
1837 - 1934 Amesbury Registration District
1935 - Present Salisbury Registration District
Newspapers are a treasure trove of information for family history researchers and social historians - you may find your ancestors mentioned in the court columns either as the perpetrator or victim of crime. Primarily, articles are those that contain names of parishioners to assist family history researchers but these articles should not be presumed to be the only ones that appear in the given years, or that there are no articles in any of the years omitted. 1800-1899
Winterbourne Earls, Winterbourne Dauntsey, Porton, Idmiston, Pitton and Farley, Gomeldon, Boscombe, Milford and Allington are all within 3 miles of Winterbourne Gunner. The city of Salisbury is 4 miles.
Buildings and Land
Crime and Legal Matters
|Post Office 1855||Post Office 1859||Post Office 1867||Kellys 1875||Kellys 1889||Kellys 1895||Kellys 1898|
|Kellys 1903||Kellys 1907||Kellys 1911||Kellys 1915||Kellys 1931||Kellys 1939|
Emigration and Migration
Employment and Business
Apprentice records published here may not necessarily mean that the apprentice was from the parish but was apprenticed to a master within the parish.
Non Conformity and Other Places of Worship
The Methodist Chapel
A meeting house certificate was applied for in 1809 when Methodists were meeting at the house of Thomas Tutton. In 1818 a Methodist Chapel and schoolroom was built, the property of Elizabeth Sutton. It remained open for worship until 1968 when dwindling congregations caused it to join with worshippers at neighbouring Idmiston. In 1974 this also closed and the members moved to the chapel at Winterbourne Dauntsey, from when it was known as the Bourne Valley United Methodist Free Church. The chapel building at Winterbourne Gunner is now two houses. (from Wiltshire Community History)
People and Parish Notables
Census Returns Transcripts
Elections and Polls
Poor Law, Charity and The Workhouse
Appointment of Overseers
Estate & Effects Sales
War, Conflict and Military Matters
The War Memorial stands in St. Michael & All Angels churchyard at Winterbourne Earls. It was unveiled on Sunday 2nd February 1921 and bears the names of 21 men from Earls, Dauntsey and Gunner who died in World War I, and 6 who fell in World War II. WWI Casualties WWII Casualties
A school of chemical warfare was situated here in 1926. Its modern counterpart today is the MoD CBRN (Chemical Biological Radiological Nuclear) School of Training