Contiguous Parishes (near neighbours)
Aldbourne - Baydon - Bishopstone - Shrivenham (BRK) - South Marston - Wanborough
A little further afield are
Ashbury (BRK) - Bourton (BRK) - Lambourn (BRK) - Liddington
Bishopstone with Hinton Parva - Newsletter
Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre - The Wiltshire County Archives for all historical documents and the place to obtain original copies
Wiltshire Community History - Historical information for parishes within the Wiltshire County jurisdiction.
Register of One-Place Studies - Little Hinton Entry
The Parish Church of St. Swithun
Hinton, Little (high farm) is a downland village with fine views to the north over the Vale of the White Horse. The church (St Swithun) has a Norman nave and decorated chancel with a low perpendicular tower. it possesses one of the most remarkable Norman fonts in the county; it is richly carved with architectural ornamentation, and includes a beast, a snake, birds and fish. note also the old parish chest and royal arms (G.R. 1789), including the arms of France and Hanover, over the tower arch. There is also a Jacobean pulpit; a panel fixed to an adjoining pew states that it was a gift of Martha Hinton in 1637. [source: The Little Guide, Methuen 1949]
Note that the headstones recorded here are in the "closed churchyard" surrounding the church. In 1876 a Cemetery opened, please refer to the Buildings and Land section.
|St. Swithun Church Gallery||St. Swithun Church Interior Gallery||St. Swithun Churchyard Gallery|
|Churchyard Memorial Survey||Church Interior Memorial Survey||Rectors List 1301-1994||Protestation Returns 1641-1642|
|Entries from Parish Register c1782-89||Rectory Vacancy 1858||Church News 1861||New Burial Laws Act 1880|
|Marriage of Rev George Keble 1890|
Parish Register Transcripts
Registers Held at WSHC
Look ups for St. Swithin's Parish baptisms and burials only contact John Pope via the Contact Us Tab at the top of the page and selecting Administrators
Little Hinton is also known as Hinton Parva
Little Hinton Wiltshire - by Paul A Williams, June 2010 - Hinton's interesting life and history, includes many black and white images
From Farming Fields to Muddy Trenches - Bishopstone & Hinton in and around the Great War of 1914 - 1918 - by Karin Thompson & Paul Williams
;This fully illustrated book commemorates the contribution of the people of Bishopstone and Hinton Parva to the Great War of 1914-18. The book provides biographical accounts of the men from the Parish who served in the First World War - 85 from Bishopstone and 35 from Hinton, including the 27 who died as a result of war - all set in the context of village life. Additional chapters cover life in the villages before and after the Great War and describes how parishioners supported those serving in the military. It also provides an overview of the military experiences of men from the villages who served in the military between the 17th century and the early 20th century. Most did so voluntarily, but in some instances they served under compulsion. The book is extensively illustrated, with many images taken during the first 30 years of the 20th century giving the reader an insight into life during those times. Published by Bishopstone and Hinton Parva Local History Group, 2014. ISBN: 978-0-9930975-0-8 - For further information visit Hinton & Bishopstone in WWI
1837 - 1898 Highworth Registration District
1898 - Present Swindon Registration District
Buildings and Land
Opened in 1876 and is located in Tuckers Lane (east of the Church). The first parishioner to be buried was Mary Cook on 7 February 1877.
Property to Let
Property for Sale
|Property for Sale 1765||Property of Barrett 1836||Property of Johnson 1855|
|Property of Gibbs 1861|
Property for Sale by Auction
Crime and Legal Matters
|Assault by Edwin Kent 1861||Assault by Thomas Adams, 1865||Assault by Thomas Richens 1864||Assault by George Barry 1867|
|2nd Assault by George Barry 1867||Quarrel between Woodham and Gale 1884||Assault by Percy Long 1894|
Emigration and Migration
Employment and Business
Tax Duty return 1700. An 1694 Act of William III imposing taxes to raise money for the war with France John Pope's Genealogy Resource Project
Non Conformity and Other Places of Worship
Hinton Parva Mission Hall - see Tab below
People and Parish Notables
Census Returns Transcripts
For other census not yet available on this site please follow the links below
Bishop Compton's census 1676
Aged over 16 years - 133 conformists
Elections and Polls
|James and Martha Clarke - Penance Order 1713||People News 1800-1849||People News 1850-1899||Harington - Consols Stock 1858|
|Secrets of Farming Book Subscribers 1863||Mysterious disappearance of Thorne 1881||Effects of Smith for Sale by Auction 1889|
Contributing to photo galleries
Do you have pre 1920 postcards of Little Hinton, early photogrpahs or engravings of family members born in Little Hinton and would like to share them on this page? These wil be of great interest to researchers in the UK and Worldwide who cannot get to the parish in person and will help the Little Hinton pages 'come alive'. If you would like to share photographs (copyright credited and retained by contributor) of your ancestors, please email me via the Contact an OPC link. Thank you.
Poor Law, Charity and the Workhouse
War, Conflict and Military Matters
|Why the Poppy||Victoria Cross Recipient Hastings Edward Harrington 1857||Servicemen & Families with 1st Wilts Regt. in South Africa 1911|
|Roll of Honour to those who Served and Died in WWI|
Hinton Parva Mission Hall
Hinton Parva Mission Hall
A Primitive Methodist Chapel
Prior to the building of the Mission Hall, meetings were held in a room at Batts Farmhouse lent by Thomas Anger. He was a staunch supporter of the Methodist cause. After his death, the property was bought by the Keable family who allowed the meetings to continue.
In about 1910, a parcel of land was cut out of the estate for the purpose of building a Mission Hall. When Miss Keable of Bath died. she left money to enable the Chapel to be erected. Built in 1911, Sunday services continued until 2006 when it closed as a result of declining numbers.
The history of the early Little Hinton Methodists meeting places and the Mission Hall can be found in "Little Hinton, Wilts" written by Paul A Williams. (First published June 2010).
The two images dated 1911 and 1960, the coloured plan and interior view were kindly donated by Paul Williams.