Contiguous Parishes (our neighbours)
Chippenham - Colerne - Corsham - Ditteridge - Yatton Keynell
GenUKI - For information relating to Wiltshire and Biddestone
Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre - The Wiltshire County Archives for all historical documents and the place to obtain original copies
Wiltshire Community History - Historical information for parishes within the Wiltshire County jurisdiction.
The Parish Church of St. Nicholas
The church is Norman with several original windows. Its most interesting feature is the bell turret over the chancel arch, a 13th century structure perched with considerable skill on the gable and capped by a stone spirelet; inside there are Georgian pews, a Norman font and a gallery at the west end of the nave.
It has been suggested that a gallery in the church was used to accomodate the congregation of Slaughterford whilst their own church was under repair. The gallery would have been accessed via its own entrance thus keeping the two congregations completely separate.
Please note that the transcripts below may be incomplete or have missing entries and gaps
Parish Registers held at WSHC
Biddestone or Bidstone is west of Chippenham. The parish includes the village of Giddeahall
1837 - Present Chippenham Registration District
Buildings and Land
The Cemetery was opened in 1915
The Whitehorse Inn
Reputed to be a monks retreat house, dating from the 16th century, closely associated with the 12th century church and manor house, which was originally a monastery. The porchway is unusual, and the mullioned windows and Cotswold Stone fireplace are original. One of the bars is decorated with a collection of horse brasses and hunting horns, and the village is famous for its fine duck pond, the ducks being the property of the present landlord.
Crime and Legal Matters
Proceedings in Chancery Elizabeth I Era (1558-1603)
Emigration and Migration
Employment and Business
Non Conformity and Other Places of Worship
People and Parish Notables
Census Returns Transcripts
Elections and Polls
Personal Research Items
Tuck Family Research Burial Extracts Tuck Family Research Burial Extracts (Giddeahall) These item was donated by Ken Tuck and contains entries that may or may not relate to the Tuck family however they have been published as such. Many refer to Quaker burials found across the county
Poor Law, Charity and The Workhouse
Inquisitions Post Mortem of Lands Held
War, Conflict and Military Matters
|Why the Poppy||Military Graves in St. Nicholas Churchyard||WWI Military Exemption Tribunals|
|St. Nicholas Church Roll of Honour WWI||Biddestone War Memorial|
British Red Cross/Voluntary Aid Detachments WWI