Contiguous Parishes (our neighbours)
Grittleton - Hullavington - Leigh Delamere - Littleton Drew - Nettleton - North Wraxall - Yatton Keynell
Websites of Interest
GenUKI - For information on Castle Combe
Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre - The Wiltshire County Archives for all historical documents and the place to obtain original copies
Wiltshire Community History - Historical information for parishes within the Wiltshire County jurisdiction.
University of Leicester's - Website for Historical Wiltshire directories
Castle Combe Community Website - Information about the village and its amenities
Vision of Britain - Historical Information about Castle Combe
The Parish Church of St. Andrew
Above the cottages of the much admired village of Castle Combe and in the shadow of its Castle Hill rises the tall tower of its church. The capitals of the pillars are carved; eastwards is an elaborate chancel embellished with statuettes in niches. There is a 15th century pulpit and a chapel screen of the same date. A 14th century castellan lies cross legged on his tomb surrounded by mourners.
Parish Registers held at WSHC
BTs 1846-1892 held at Bristol Record Office
The village of Castle Combe has been dubbed 'the Prettiest Village in England'. The village has often been used by film crews to portray the quintessential English Village. The By Brook was amazingly turned into the seafront becoming Puddleby-on-the-Marsh in the 1966 adaptation of Doctor Dolittle and other prominent buildings in the village were used as the jail and the doctors house. Incidently the villagers were appalled at the noise and disruption and one was even intercepted carrying sticks of dynamite intent on blowing up the film set!! Most recently the market place and the bridge over the By Brook featured in the blockbuster War Horse, the first being the location of the sale where Joey was first purchased and again when sold to the Army for war service and the bridge is where Albert says a tearful farewell to his beloved horse as it is led away by the military. Other films using Castle Combe as a location include Stardust and Wolf-Man.
1837 - Present Chippenham Registration District
Buildings and Land
Bybrook & Bridge
Manor House & Hotel
The Manor House has evolved over many years. It was first built on the grounds of a Norman Castle. Notable residents include Sir John Oldcastle who is historically believed to be the model for the Shakespeares' character Falstaff. Later in the 19th century it was the home of George Poulet Scrope and wife Emma, whose family had owned the land since the 14th century. During WWII the manor became the Headquarters of the New Zealand Forestry Division Officers. In 1947 the house and gardens were sold and the manor became a country club. Later the country club was sold to Bobbie Allen, a Lancashire lass who turned the manor into a an elite hotel. The hotel is still a very desirable country retreat.
The White Hart
In what is recognised as the prettiest village in England, the inn is one of the centrepieces of this pageant of history, standing opposite the old wool market. The Ancient Britons had a dwelling here, the Romans a post station and, in the the ninth century, King Alfred drove the invading Danes through the village. A famous Lord of the Manor in the fifteenth century was Sir John Oldcastle, immortalized by Shakespeare as Falstaff. At this time the tavern was only allowed to open once a week, and gaming or idleness was forbidden. In the four ale bar may be seen the old wig cupboard, one end of this bar was straw-covered to keep the gentry's feet warm.
Crime and Legal Matters
Victims of Crime
A National School was founded here.
Emigration and Migration
Employment and Business
Agriculture and Land
Wiltshire Society Apprentices
Non Conformity and Other Places of Worship
IGI Batch Numbers for Castle Combe Independent Chapel: C077661
Primitive Methodist Mission
People and Parish Notables
Associations, Clubs, Organisations & Societies
Census Return Transcripts
County coroners were introduced in England in around 1194 once established other boroughs and liberties sought the right to have their own coroner. Often in Medieval times the coroner also assumed the role of the sheriff and his duties weren't limited to holding inquests on dead bodies although almost a full time post they were unpaid for the duties apart from those that were deemed murder of manslaughter when they would receive 13s. 4d. From the 24th June 1752 a law was passed allowing the coroner to claim £1 for every inquest they attended not held in a gaol and also to claim 9d per mile travel allowance from the place of residence. Inquests held in any gaol were performed at a rate totalling no more than £1. These costs were to be paid from the county rates. In cases of homicide the coroner also received the former fee of 13s. 4d. The coroners submitted their bills at the quarter session sittings for approval. Coroners Bills 1752-1796
Elections and Polls
Personal Research Items
Tuck Family Research Burial Extracts - These items were donated by Ken Tuck and contains entries that may or may not relate to the Tuck family however they have been published as such. Many references to Quaker entries may be found from across the county.
Poor Law, Charity and the Workhouse
Inquisitions Post Mortem of Lands Held
War, Conflict and Military Matters