Contiguous Parishes (our neighbours)
East Garston (BRK) - Hungerford - Lambourn (BRK) - Ramsbury
Websites of Interest
University of Leicester's - Website for historical Wiltshire directories
Duncan and Mandy Ball's - Website for images of St Mary's Church
GenUKI - For information on Chilton Foliat
Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre - The Wiltshire County Archives for all historical documents and the place to obtain original copies
Wiltshire Community History - Historical information for parishes within the Wiltshire County jurisdiction.
The Parish Church of St. Mary
Parish Registers held at WSHC
(Cilla's farm) derives its second name from the Foliot family, the former owners of Littlecote. The village in placed in well wooded surroundings in the Kennet Valley. The church (St Mary) has an Early English tower, but the remainder has been much restored. There is a good Jacobean barrel roof and a much mutilated effigy of a cross legged knight, thought to be a member of the Foliot family. [source: The Red Book, published by Methuen, 1949]
The parish includes the tithing of Leverton
1837 - April 1937 Hungerford Registration District
April 1937 - Present Marlborough Registration District
Buildings and Land
Crime and Legal Matters
Proceedings in Chancery Elizabeth I Era (1558-1603)
There was a National School for boys here
Emigration and Migration
Published in tables from the Poor Law Commissioners Annual Reports for 1835, 1836 and 1847-1848 the following may be of use for tracing missing ancestors. 7 paupers emigrated to South Australia under an assisted emigration programme between April 1839 - April 1840.
Employment and Business
Apprentice records published here may not necessarily mean that the apprentice was from the parish but was apprenticed to a master within the parish.
Wiltshire Society Apprentices
Non Conformity and Other Places of Worship
There was a Wesleyan Chapel here.
People and Parish Notables
County coroners were introduced in England in around 1194 once established other boroughs and liberties sought the right to have their own coroner. Often in Medieval times the coroner also assumed the role of the sheriff and his duties weren't limited to holding inquests on dead bodies although almost a full time post they were unpaid for the duties apart from those that were deemed murder or manslaughter when they would receive 13s. 4d. From the 24th June 1752 a law was passed allowing the coroner to claim £1 for every inquest they attended not held in a gaol and also to claim 9d per mile travel allowance from the place of residence. Inquests held in any gaol were performed at a rate totalling no more than £1. These costs were to be paid from the county rates. In cases of homicide the coroner also received the former fee of 13s. 4d. The coroners submitted their bills at the quarter session sittings for approval. Coroners Bills 1752-1796
Elections, Polls and Voters Lists
Poor Law, Charity and The Workhouse
War, Conflict and Military Matters