Contiguous Parishes (our neighbours)
Box - Colerne - Corsham
Boxparish.org.uk - Parish information for Box including short history of St Christopher's church
GenUKI - For information relating to Wiltshire and Ditteridge
Wiltshire Council - Wiltshire Community History page about St Christopher's church
Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre - The Wiltshire County Archives for all historical documents and the place to obtain original copies
Wiltshire Community History - Historical information for parishes within the Wiltshire County jurisdiction.
University of Leicester's - Website has historical Wiltshire directories free to view
Register of One-Place Studies - Ditteridge Entry
The Parish Church of St. Christopher
The pretty early Norman parish church of St Christopher dates, in parts, back to 1097. Although the church fell into disrepair over the centuries it was restored in around 1860 and features it‘s original carved Norman doorway and Norman font. Visitors to the church are welcome and the church is open during daylight hours.
Parish Registers held at WSHC
BT's 1838-1862 held at Bristol Record Office
The small parish of Ditteridge is in the north west of Wiltshire approximately 5 ½ miles from Bath and 6 ½ miles from Chippenham. The area covered by the parish is rather fragmented and includes the hamlets of Ditteridge and Alcombe as well non contiguous areas of land such as part of Ashley on the other side of the By Brook valley and the area of Henley, further south on the edge of the village of Box. Up until 1884 Ditteridge was a civil parish in it’s own right but is now incorporated into the civil parish of Box.
1837 - Present Chippenham Registration District
Buildings and Land
In the hamlet of Ditteridge itself human settlement is believed to go back as far as Neolithic times and there is archealogical evidence of a Roman Villa on the site of Cheney Court. Although Ditteridge is now a small hamlet of only a dozen or so houses there is evidence that it was larger and more important in medieval times as a stopping place for travellers travelling on the nearby Fosse Way. The name Ditteridge is thought to derive from the Anglo Saxon words “dic” meaning ditch and “hrycg” meaning a long narrow hill. In 1086 it appears in the Doomesday book as “Digeric” and by the 16th century the name had evolved to “Ditridge”.
Apart from the church of St Christopher's the largest building in the hamlet of Ditteridge is Cheney Court, a striking Jacobean manor House. Although situated within the hamlet of Ditteridge Cheney Court lies just on the border with the parish of Box (census records for Cheney Court are listed under the parish of Box). The current Cheney Court was built in the early to mid 17th century by George Speke of Hazelbury on the site of a 15th century house built by the Cheney family. The house served as the dower house for the Spekes of Hazelbury and then passed to the ownership of the Northey Family in the 18th century. After a period as a hotel it now houses a foreign language school
Historically the area has been farmland and this is still the case today.
Crime and Legal Matters
Emigration and Migration
Employment and Business
Non Conformity and Other Places of Worship
People and Parish Notables
Census Returns Transcripts
For Census Returns 1891-1911 please refer to the parish of Box
Elections and Polls
Personal Research Items
Tuck Family Research Burial Extracts - This item was donated by Ken Tuck and contains entries that may or may not relate to the Tuck family however they have been published as such. Many refer to Quaker burials found across the county
Poor Law, Charity and the Workhouse
Inquisitions Post Mortem
War, Conflict and Military Matters
British Red Cross/VAD Volunteers