Text Size
Friday, 10 February 2012 07:26

Durnford - The OPC is John Dear

Written by 
Rate this item
(10 votes)
Durnford - St. Andrew Durnford - St. Andrew

Durnford Photo Gallery

Contiguous Parishes (our neighbours)

Amesbury - Fugglestone St Peter with Bermerton - Idmiston - Laverstock & Ford - South Newton - Stratford Sub Castle - Wilsford - Winterbourne Dauntsey - Winterbourne Earls - Winterbourne Gunner - Woodford

 

Websites

GenUKI - For information relating to Wiltshire and Durnford
University of Leicester's - Website for historical Wiltshire directories
Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre - The Wiltshire County Archives for all historical documents and the place to obtain original copies
Wiltshire Community History - Historical information for parishes within the Wiltshire County jurisdiction.
Register of One-Place Studies - Durnford Entry

 

The Parish Church of St. Andrew

In 1883 the open seats and pulpit were renovated at the expense of Thomas Staples of Alderbury.  In 1903 at a cost of about £1200 further repairs were made and in 1904 5 bells were re-hung in the tower.  The incumbent at the time was the Reverend Leicester Selby.

Durneford Protestation Return 1641-1642                     Little Durneford Protestation Return 1641-1642

Parish Register Transcripts

Marriages

1508-1837 

Parish Registers held at WSHC

Baptisms 1574-1983
Marriages 1874-1992
Burials 1574-1992

 

Parish History

Durnford parish lies between Salisbury and Amesbury on the eastern side of the Avon valley. The name is derived from the Old English meaning of secret or hidden ford. The site of the ford is not known as there is no bridging of the Avon at Durnford. The parish comprises the villages or hamlets of Great and Little Durnford, Netton, Salterton and Newton; Normanton , on the west bank of the Avon, was a detached part. In 1885 Normanton comprising c.656 acres was transferred to Wilsford Parish. The population rose from 399 to 554 between 1801 and 1851. Of 533 inhabitants in 1841 , Great Durnford had 218, Little Durnford 67, Netton 107, Salterton 91, Newtown 28 and Normanton 22. In the 20th century the population fluctuated between 427 in 1951, 376 in 1931 and 405 in 1991.

Civil Registration

July 1837- April 1936 Amesbury Registration District
April 1936 - Present Salisbury Registration District

 

Buildings and Land

Owners of Land 1873

Durnford House and Manor House

Durnford House belonged to the prebendary of Durnford and stood to the north of the church. The main house was lived in from around 1743 by the author James Harris who died in 1780. By 1814 it was occupied by his spinster sister. It was demolished in the 1860's. The manor house was built in c.1792 by James Harris's son, the 1st Earl of Malmesbury, who bought the land from the Hungerford family. The estate was sold in 1870 to Lord Tryon.

The Bays, Little Durnford

Between late 1930s to late 1940s this was the home of Walter & Lucy Uphill.

Durnford Watermill

During the 1850s the millers here were Christopher and Stephen Smith.  By 1883 it was registered to William Thorne.  It is now known as Kingfisher Mill the home of the Hon. Aylmer Tryon.

Little Durnford House

The estate came into the Younge family when John Younge married one of the Tropenhall sisters when the estate was broken up. The Younges owned the manor house between 1548 and 1795. The family died out in 1795 and the estate was sold to Edward Hinxman and later to the Devenishes. Edward Hinxman, J.P. was still in residence in 1895. In 191 Little Durnford House was home to Matthew Henry Witty Devenish, J.P. Dorothy Devernish's book 'A Wiltshire Home' is a good reference source. Today the estate belongs to the Earl of Chichester. 

Thornton Netton Bakery

The bakery was opened by Robert Thornton in 1833 and was still a working bakery into the late 1920s.  Part of the old bakery is now Flint Cottage and another part is a private residence called the Old Bakery.  A modern house built on the bakery stables land is now the home of the original bakery founders great great grandaughter.

 

Crime and Legal Matters

Bastardy Examinations                Crime Reports 1850-1899

 

Directories

Post Office 1855 Post Office 1859 Kellys 1867 Post Office 1875 Kellys 1889 Kellys 1895
Kellys 1898 Kellys 1903 Kellys 1907 Kellys 1911 Kellys 1915  

Education

Durnford's first known school was opened in the old schoolroom near the Church as a National School in 1837, but later moved to Netton after the Education Act. It became a Church of England Voluntary Controlled School and remained until its closure in 1975.

 

Emigration and Migration

Strays Index

 

Employment and Business

Employment of the Poor in Road Building 1817             Gamekeepers Certificates 1807

 

Miscellaneous Documents

 

Non Conformity and Other Places of Worship

Netton Wesleyan Chapel

The chapel first opened its doors in 1895 but since about 1989 has been converted into a private dwelling.

 

People and Parish Notables

Associations, Clubs, Organisations and Societies

Members of the Durnford, Wilsford & Woodford Friendly Benefit Society c1833

Celebrations and Entertainment

Celebrations at the Defeat of Napoleon 1814

Census Returns Transcripts

1841          1851           1861          1871          1881

Elections and Polls

Poll of Freeholders 1772           Poll Book 1818           Voters List 1832

Parish Notables

James Harris - Grammarian

 

Poor Law, Charity and The Workhouse

Amesbury Union Guardians Appointed 1835

 

Probate

Probate Index 1851-1853 (WSHC)

Inquisitions Post Mortem of Lands Held

Isabella Walraund 1309               John Walraund 1309               Thomas Mackerell 1628

 

War, Conflict and Military Matters

Why the Poppy           Wiltshire Militia 1780-1814              Chelsea Pensioners 1808-1828          Reservists Leave for teh Front 1899           Diocese of Salisbury Memorial Book 1914-1918

 

 

Netton

Netton

Church Matters

Netton Protestation Return 1641-1642

 

Buildings and Land

 

Emigration and Migration

Assisted Emigration

Thomas Keates & Family 1854

 

People and Parish Notables

Tax List 1332               Owners of Land 1873

 

Probate

National Probate Index 1858-1966

Newtown

Newtown

Church Matters

Newtowne Protestation Return 1641-1642

Normanton

Normanton

Church Matters

Normington Protestation Return 1641-1642

Salterton

Salterton

Church Matters

Psalterton Protestation Return 1641-1642

Employment and Business

Gamekeepers Certificates 1807

People and Parish Notables

Probate

Inquisitions Post Mortem of Lands Held

Alan de Plokenet 1299

 

Read 6264 times Last modified on Monday, 23 October 2017 10:20

Add comment

Please be aware that comments are not checked daily, if you have a question it is better to contact the volunteer directly. However if you just wish to show appreciation or remark upon the page please feel free to do that here.


Security code
Refresh

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

I accept cookies from this site.
EU Cookie Directive plugin by www.channeldigital.co.uk