Contiguous Parishes (our neighbours)
Amesbury - Bulford - Figheldean - Milston - Rollstone - Winterbourne Stoke
GenUKI - For information relating to Wiltshire and Durrington
Durrington Town Council - Contains local information, history & old photos of Durrington
All Saints Church - Information about the church
Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre - The Wiltshire County Archives for all historical documents and the place to obtain original copies
Wiltshire Community History - Historical information for parishes within the Wiltshire County jurisdiction.
Register of One-Place Studies - Durrington Entry
Old Maps - Historical Map archive showing Durrington
The Parish Church of All Saints
In 1907 an open air church service was held at Durrington on Hospital Day. The Durrington brass band played the music and about 100 local people gathered to take part.
Church of England Related Articles
Parish Register Transcripts
Parish Registers held at WSHC
Durrington is a village located on the east of the Salisbury Plain & is about 10 miles (16 km) north of Salisbury, 30 miles (48km) south of Swindon & 2 miles (3.2km) north-east of Stonehenge. The village lies to the North of Amesbury. The name is derived from the farmstead of the Dyrings. Durrington consisted of two old manors Kingderinton a Crown property and Hinderinton which lay on the bend of the River Avon
|Domesday Book Entry||Inquisition of Prioress and Nuns of Amesbury 1299||Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1845|
|Quality Council Status Certificate 2006||Parish Council Meeting 1898|
July 1837 - April 1936 Amesbury Registration District
April 1936 - Present Salisbury Registration District
Durrington's population was at a low of 318 in 1811. In 1911 the population stood at 897. From 1921 the population jumped to 3,005 and continued to increase with a total of 7,379 in 2011. The increase in population from 1911 was due to the formation of a large military camp in the area and from 1921 onwards due to the presence of a large number of troops in the military camp at Larkhill. Population Figures 1801-2011
Buildings and Land
The Cuckoo Stone lies in a field next to Woodhenge. It is a grey sarsen stone thought to have been abandoned during the building of Stonehenge. Further information.
Durrington Walls is the site of a large Neolithic settlement and later henge enclosure located just 60 metres north of the more well known but smaller Woodhenge and 3km north-east of Stonehenge itself. The bank and ditch are now covered with grass and bushes and form the largest henge monument in Britain.
|Neolithic Finds 1967||Site Feared Damaged by Ploughing 1972||Village Linked to Building of Stonehenge 2007|
|Stonehenge Houses Recreated Based on Durrington Walls 2014|
Woodhenge is so-called because it was originally a wooden structure of a type similar to Stonehenge. It was probably set up during the Bronze age c. 2,000 BC for ceremonial use. The concrete posts mark the positions of the original timbers, evidence for which was obtained by excavation. The rings are oval with the long axis aligned on the mid-summer sunrise. A bank with a ditch on the inner side surrounded the monument, which was entered by a causeway on the north-east. (Information from "Welcome to Woodhenge" sign).
Durrington Cemetery which is located north-west of the village. Durrington Cemetery contains 252 War Graves (of which 141 are Australian Soldiers) as well as local burials. Durrington Cemetery Refurbishment 2015
For details of War Graves of Australian, Canadian & UK Soldiers see under "War, Conflict & Military Matters" below.
The rectory was destroyed by fire on 19th October 1922
Grade I - Buildings of outstanding architectural or historic interest.
No listings within this category for the parish
Grade II* - Buildings are particularly important and of more than special interest:
Grade II - Buildings are nationally important and of special interest:
Miscellaneous Buildings Items
In 1899 where the present cottages are standing in College lane stood several pretty thatched dwellings
Properties For Sale or Let
|Durrington Mill For Sale 1836||Durrington Estate Sold 1883||Property for Sale or To Let 1900-1949|
|Durrington House Sold 2013||East End Manor 2014||Garden Ground 2014|
|Lybus House 2014||West End Manor 2014||196 Bulford Road 2015|
|Riverside Cottage 2015|
List of Properties for Sale 1921
The Stonehenge Inn c1870 - licensee William Herbert Toomer - an advert of the time listed the building as a Brewery, Posting House, Livery and Bait Stables. In 1893 Herbert Corp purchased the freehold at an auction held by J. T. Woolley of Salisbury
Crime and Legal Matters
|Post Office 1849||Post Office 1855||Post Office 1859||Harrods 1865||Kellys 1867|
|Post Office 1875||Kellys 1880||Kellys 1889||Kellsy 1895||Kellys 1898|
|Kellys 1903||Kellys 1907||Kellys 1911||Kellys 1915||Kellys 1920|
|Kellys 1927||Kellys 1939|
|Queen's Scholarships - R. J. Smith & E. Spreadbury 1853||Board of Education Article 1860||Salisbury Diocesan School Prize Scheme 1860|
|University of London Examinee - Christopher Charles Miles 1868||Durrington Infant's School Centenary 2011|
Emigration and Migration
Published in tables from the Poor Law Commissioners Annual Reports for 1835, 1836 and 1847-1848 the following may be of use for tracing missing ancestors. 36 paupers emigrated to Canada under an assisted emigration programme between 1835-1836.
Employment and Business
Mr. Toomer was the village blacksmith during the mid 1920s and the smithy was situated opposite the old post office on the Bulford Road near Attwater’s Dairy.
Frank Toomer a farmer was the first chairman of Durrington Parish Council . His daughter Mary was an astute business women keeping her own accounts and a very independent young woman. She was an early believer in Womens Lib and amused the congregation at All Saints when she took her pet dog to church with her. The dog sat with her in the pews and behaved really well during services. Franks wife was Mary and they had two other children a daughter Beatrice and a son Sam.
In 1912 on the corner of Bulford Road and Windsor Road stood The Chemist Shop and Pharmacy owned by James Milne - the business was short lived and appeared in trade directories only from 1911-1914 (perhaps he went off to war and did not return)
Mark Ranger & Sons were the carriers that served the village in 1921
In 1924 Tom Chapman was the proprietor of Chapmans Stores on Bulford Road which was divided into two sections , Tom Managing the grocery and Hardware departments and his wife Bessie (nee Maidment) managed the other half of the business. Later the site became a row of businesses including a fish and chip shop, a hairdressers and a newsagents
Non Conformity and Other Places of Worship
Our Lady Queen of Heaven - Catholic Church
People and Parish Notables
|Samuel Baker, Accident 1870||Mr. & Mrs. T. E Fowle, Miraculous Escape 1861||Charles Kellow, Thrown from Carriage 1866||Edward Rose, Accident 1870|
|Charles Smith, Accident 1869|
Associations, Clubs, Organisations and Societies
Census Returns Transcripts
Elections and Polls
Entertainment, Celebrations, Fetes and Shows
The Durrington brass band played at many venues in villages of the Woodford Valley including many flower shows, the odd concert and funerals.
Exhibitions and Shows
Trevor Bannister - Actor
Poor Law, Charity and The Workhouse
Durrington came under the jurisdiction of Amesbury Poor Law Union. Its operation was overseen by an elected Board of Guardians, usually one representing a constituent parish. Overseers of the Poor was another term used, their roles were similar in that they administered poor relief such as money, food and clothing as part of the Poor Law system. Usually Church wardens or Landowners were selected for these roles.
|Parish Festivities for Poor 1814||Cheaper Coal for Poor 1832||Amesbury Union Guardians Appointed 1835|
|Guardians Of Amesbury Union 1836-1861||Overseers of the Poor 1859-1872||Maton & Baker Refused to Maintain Parents 1861|
War, Conflict and Military
General Information for Australian Forces
Casualty Biographies of WWI of Those Named on the Village War Memorial
Casualty Biographies of WWI of Those Not Named on the Village War Memorial
|Henry Charles Gray 1916||Bertram Edward Hopgood||Leonard Charles Hardy|
|Albert Frank Perrett||Edward Nicholas Rose||William Sawyer 1919|
|Claud Humphrey Smith||John James Thomas||William Weeks|
Casualty Biographies of WWII of Those Named on the Village War Memorial
Anzac Day Services
Anzac Day is one of Australia’s important national commemorative occasions. It marks the anniversary of the first major military action fought by Australian and New Zealand forces (ANZAC – Australian & New Zealand Army Corps) during the First World War.
On 25th April, 1915, Australian and New Zealand soldiers – ANZACS, formed part of the allied expedition that set out to capture the Gallipoli peninsula, in order to open the Dardanelles to the allied Navies. At the end of 1915, the allied forces were evacuated. Both sides suffered heavy casualties and endured great hardships. Over 8,000 Australian soldiers were killed. News of the landing on Gallipoli and the events that followed had a profound impact on Australians & New Zealanders at home. The 25th of April soon became the day on which Australians remember the sacrifice of those who had died in the war.
Anzac Day today is a national day of remembrance which commemorates all Australians and New Zealanders “who served and died in all wars, conflicts, and peacekeeping operations" and "the contribution and suffering of all those who have served”. Anzac Day Services Photo Gallery
|Anzac Day Remembered 1920||Letter to Families of Deceased Australian Soldiers 1920||Anzac Day 1921|
|Anzac Day Pilgrimage 1925||Anzac Sunday in Wiltshire 1927||Annual English Pilgrimage 1932|
|Durrington Gets PM Green Light 2015||Day to Remember 2015|
Durrington Cemetery - Military Graves
Durrington Cemetery is located north-west of Durrington. The cemetery contains local graves as well as 227 War Graves, of which 141 are Australian. Other nationalities include British, Canadian & Polish. There are 22 burials from WWII and a number of post-war service graves, mostly from the Royal Air Force.
|1st Training Battalion, Australian Imperial Forces (A.I.F.) Memorial||WWI & WWII War Memorial||Memorial at Durrington Cemetery 1925|
|Durrington Cemetery - Nationally Recognized 2013||Durrington Cemetery Refurbishment 2015|
German Military Graves Relocated
Between 1916 & 1919 approximately 47 Germans were buried in Durrington Cemetery. In 1959 an agreement was made between the Governments of the United Kingdom & the Federal Republic of Germany that the graves of German Nationals who lost their lives in the United Kingdom during the two world wars were to be transferred to a new central cemetery in the United Kingdom - Cannock Chase German Military Cemetery, Staffordshire. In 1963, as a result of this agreement, 47 internees were exhumed from Durrington Cemetery & re-interred in the German Military Cemetery at Cannock Chase, Staffordshire. German Military Grave Relocations to Cannock Chase 1963
Military Grave Summaries & Galleries
|Canadian Servicemen of WWI||Photo Gallery||Memorial Stone Index|
|Canadians Serving with R.A.F. or R.F.C. WWI||Photo Gallery||Memorial Stone Index||Summary Table with details of deaths|
|British Servicemen - WWI & WWII||Photo Gallery||Memorial Stone Index|
|Irish Servicemen - WWI||Photo Gallery||Memorial Stone Index||Summary Table with details of deaths|
|Australian Servicemen - WWI||Photo Gallery||Memorial Stone Index||Summary Table with details of deaths|
|Royal Air Force - WWI & WWII||Photo Gallery||Memorial Stone Index|
|Polish Air Force - WWII||Photo Gallery||Memorial Stone Index||Summary Table with details of deaths|
Australian Servicemen Casualty Biographies WWI
British Servicemen Casualty Biographies WWI
|William Henry Collins||Alfred Henry Courtenay Evans 1918||Ronald James Finlay|
|George Charles Flanders||Tom Harrington||John Valentine Kynaston|
|Andrew Liddell Maclaren 1918||James Edward Matthews 1919||A. Page|
|Leslie Vernon Thorowgood||Percy James Wright|
British Servicemen Casualty Biographies WWII
|Gillian Lorne Campbell||Mark Kerr St. John Carpendale||Hedley Neville Fowler|
|Robert Calder Gibson||John Francis Xavier McKenna||Randolph Brougham Pearson|
|John Frederic Pettigrew||John Leonard Brunner Trotman||Peter Fitzgerald Webster|
Canadian Servicemen Casualty Biographies WWI
|Joseph Claude Barker||George Burnett||Robert Brinton Hill|
|Ogilvie James Marchbank||Charles Allister McGillivray||George Bampfield McSweeney|
|Philip Stephen Ryan|
Irish Servicemen Casualty Biographies WWI
|Thomas Baker||David Broderick||Thomas Devlin|
|John Frater||Robert Kennedy||Edwin Kenny|
|Robert John McMullan||M. Mulvey||James Sterling (Stirling)|
Polish Servicemen Casualty Biographies WWII
Inquest Reports of Australian Servicemen
|Pte. Thomas O'Connell 1916||Charles Sargentson 1916||Alfred Atkins 1917|
|Robert Lyons 1917||William Humphreys 1917|
Army at Larkhill
Aviation at Larkhill
|First Flight Around Salisbury Cathedral 1911||Aeroplane Trials 1912||Robert Cooke Fenwick, Fatal Accident in Monoplane 1912|
|2012 - Royal Flying Corps Deaths - 100 Years Commemoration 2012||Historic Memorial for Major Alexander Hewetson 2014|
Inquest Reports Involving Aviation at Larkhill
|Leonard Williams 1912||Alexander Hewetson 1913||George Lancelot Gipps 1914|
|Lindsay Morrison 1917||George Chance 1918|
Personal Letters Home
The Village Cross and War Memorial is located at the junction of High Street, Church Street & Hackthorne Road, to the west of All Saint's Church. It is Grade II listed.
A Special Thank You to Dave Healing from Durrington for his Knowledge, Assistance & the Submission of Photographs which has helped in the building of such a detailed resource for this parish. Also grateful thanks to Cathy Sedgwick for her submissions during her time as OPC. We would also like to thank Durrington Town Council for allowing us to reproduce many of the photographs found in our galleries.