Contiguous Parishes (our neighbours)
Chitterne All Saints - East Coulston - Edington - Erlestoke - Great Cheverell - Heytesbury - Knook - Little Cheverell - Tilshead - West Lavington
Websites of Interest
Duncan and Mandy Ball's - Website for photographs of St Giles.
GenUKI - For information on Wiltshire and Imber.
Heytesbury - Website for information about Heytesbury, Imber, Knook & Tytherington.
Imber Church - Friends of St. Giles Website.
St Giles Church - Website for church opening times.
Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre - The Wiltshire County Archives for all historical documents and the place to obtain original copies
Wiltshire Community History - Historical information for parishes within the Wiltshire County jurisdiction.
Audio Slideshow - Some poignant images from the village open days.
Imber Village - Welcome to the Lost Village.
The Parish Church of St. Giles
|Churches Conservation Trust||Burial Register Entry - Highway Robbers 1716||Families Plea to Visit Imber Graves 2001|
|Bells Ring Out 2006||Ghost Town Church Restored to Glory 2007|
Last Resting Place of Sara Harris 1663 Last Resting Place of John Wadman 16888 William Dean Memorial Plaque 1884
Parish Register Transcripts
Parish Registers held at WSHC
Parish Registers in Wilts 1888
The village of Imber is located in an isolated area of the Salisbury Plain, in the south-west of the county of Wiltshire. It is approximately 2.5 miles (4km) west of the A360 Road between Tilshead and West Lavington.
Imber is a ghost village nestled on the Salisbury Plain. The residents were evicted by the Ministry of Defence in December 1943 so that American troops could prepare for the invasion of Europe. After the war, villagers attempted to return but were refused access. The Church is the only building in the village that has been spared by the warfare activities and church services are still held occasionally attended by former villagers and their descendants. Access is totally banned without the specific permission of the MOD and even when the church is opened to the public on its rare opening days then the military preside over visitors ensuring no-one strays away from the permitted access areas. A Short History
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1845 Notice to Quit Letter to Residents 1943 Village to be Evacuated 1943 Village Won't Be Forgotten 2011
1837 - Present Warminster Registration District
Map of Imber Prior to Evacuation
Population Figures 1801-2011
Little Imber on the Downe
Seven miles from any Towne
Sheep bleats the only sound
Life twer sweet with ne'er a frown
Oh let us bide on Imber Downe
Buildings and Land
Domesday Book Entry Owners of Land 1873 Home to Colonies of Rare Native Bees 2013
Grade I - Buildings of outstanding architectural or historic interest
Church of St. Giles
Crime and Legal Matters
|Post Office 1849||Post Office 1855||Post Office 1859||Harrods 1865||Kellys 1867||Post Office 1875|
|Kellys 1880||Kellys 1889||Kellys 1895||Kellys 1898||Kellys 1903||Kellys 1907|
|Kellys 1911||Kellys 1915||Kellys 1920||Kellys 1927||Kellys 1939|
Emigration and Migration
Employment and Business
|UK Register of Duties Paid for Apprenticed 1710-1811||British Postal Service Appointments 1737-1969||Gamekeepers Certificates 1807|
|Sale of Fir Trees 1847||Shepherds Prizes 1886|
Non Conformity and Other Places of Worship
|Baptist Chapelyard Survey||Headstone of Charles & Charlotte Daniels||Headstone of James & Eliza Daniels|
|Headstone of William & Mary Potter||Headstone of Thomas & Emma Tinnams||Headstone of John & Emma Wyatt|
People and Parish Notables
Census Returns Transcripts
Elections and Polls
Personal Research Items
Tuck Family Research Burial Extracts - This item was donated by Ken Tuck and contains entries that may or may not relate to the Tuck family however they have been published as such. Many refer to Quaker burials found across the county
First Imber Wedding in 60 Years 2002
Poor Law, Charity and the Workhouse
Inquisitions Post Mortem of Lands Held
|David Brock, Snr. Proved 1783||Edward Fricker Proved 1795||Eupham Gibbons Proved 1831||Thomas Hayter Proved 1836||John Mynty Proved 1657|
|James Scammell Proved 1827
||Walter Wastfield Proved 1767|
War, Conflict and Military Matters
Imber has been owned by the Ministry of Defence since its evacuation during WWII. Residents and their descendants are still fighting for their right to return to their lands.
Harold Henry Kitley Ernest Marsh Arthur Edward Norris
Friendly Fire Incident
On 13th April, 1942, six Royal Air Force Hawker Hurricanes from No. 175 Squadron R.A.F. & six Supermarine Spitfires from No. 234 R.A.F. were being used in a demonstration of tactical airpower at Imber. The event was a dress rehearsal for an upcoming visit by Winston Churchill. The demonstration involved the aircraft hitting mock armoured vehicles & tanks. The pilot of the 6th Hurricane mistakenly opened fire on a crowd of spectators, killing 25 and wounding 71. The pilot was killed around 10 weeks later when his plane was shot down over France on a night raid.
Friendly Fire Incident 1942 70th Anniversary Plaque of Friendly Fire Incident 2012
Servicemen and Women
Uncategorised Military Items
Imber Honours War Casualties 2003 Prisoner of War Camps 2012
Diocese of Salisbury Memorial Book 1914-1918 Roll of Honour 1914-1918