Text Size

Wednesday, 01 February 2012 01:22

All Cannings - OPC Vacancy

Written by 
Rate this item
(24 votes)
All Cannings - All Saints All Cannings - All Saints

All Cannings Photo Gallery

Contiguous Parishes (our neighbours)

Avebury - Bishops Cannings - East Kennett - Etchilhampton - Patney - Southbroom - Stanton St. Bernard


Websites of Interest

All Cannings - A brief history
Duncan and Mandy Ball's - Website for images of All Saints Church
GenUKI  - For information on All Cannings
United Benefice - Bishops Cannings, Etchilhampton & All Cannings
University of Leicester's - Website for historical Wiltshire directories
The registers of All Cannings, and Etchilhampton - American Libraries - these have been transcribed below
Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre - The Wiltshire County Archives for all historical documents and the place to obtain original copies
Wiltshire Community History - Historical information for parishes within the Wiltshire County jurisdiction


The Parish Church of All Saints

The cruciform church (All Saints) was originally Norman, and two of the old piers of the former central tower of this date remain incorporated with the piers of the late crossing which support the Perpendicular tower. The nave is Decorated the aisles Perpendicular and the north porch, which was evidently an addition to the once Normal nave, is Early English. The transepts are Perpendicular, the south transept having a chantry chapel to the east in the battlemented parapet of which occur the arms of Beauchamp ans St Amand. The chancel was rebuilt in 1867 from the designs of T. H. Wyatt, by the rector, Mr Methuen, and his sons, as a memorial to the Rev. T. P. Methuen, and a testimony to a happy home. There is a reredos of carved alabaster with a well executed representation of the Lord's supper. The roofs of the nave  and south aisle are Jacobean, also the font cover (1633).In the north transept is some old glass showing the archangel Gabriel. At the west end of the south aisle is a handsome  Elizabethan monument to William and Ione Ernle (1587), and in the north aisle an 18th century monument to the same family.
(Note:Norman (1060-1145), Early English (1190-1245), Decorated (1245-1360), Perpendicular (1360-1485)  [source: The Red Book, published by Methuen, 1949]

All Saints Church Gallery           Church Interior          All Saints Churchyard

Parish Register Transcripts

Notes From the Parish Registers 1578-1848


1578-1680          1689-1812          1813-1899




1578-1685          1700-1812           1813-1899  


1578-1680            1681-1812           1813-1899 

Parish Registers held at WSHC

Baptisms 1578-1947
Marriages 1578-1992
Burials 1578-1872

Records available from Other Sources


Parish History

(Old English. eald=the old place of the people of Cana) All Cannings is in the Pewsey vale. The manor house now a farmhouse and nuch modernised, has some 14th century woodwork. Coleridge visited the Mr Methuen of his day in 1818. The farm of All Cannings Cross was the scene of great importance, when the site of a village of the early Iron Age was excavated.   [source: The Red Book, published by Methuen, 1949]

This parish includes the hamlets of Allington and Fullaway

Civil Registration

1837 - Present Devizes Registration District


Buildings and Land


Inclosure Award Abstract 1799


Indenture for Sale, Mortgage etc. Stonyford Mill, Stanton St. Bernard 1764

Land Owners

Parting Letter of Mr. Estcourt 1859          Owners of Land 1873 

Listed Buildings

Listed Buildings

Old Rectory 

Sale Notice 1997

Public Houses

Public Houses Gallery

Cross Keys

Kings Arms


Crime and Legal Matters

Malting Regulations Breaches 1802-1813


Assault and Attempted Robbery 1824         


Bastardy Examinations           Bastardy Examinations (Fullaway)             

Capital Punishment 

Goodman & Amor, Trial & Execution 1824       

Civil Matters

Breach of Promise of Marriage 1878                           



Post Office 1855  Kellys 1867   Post Office 1875   Kellys 1889 Gillmans 1899 Gillmans 1900
Kellys 1903 Kellys 1907  Kellys 1911   Gillmans 1914 Kellys 1915 Kellys 1931 



Education Gallery

Church of England School

Headteachers Roll 


Emigration and Migration

Strays Index          Assisted Emigration 1846     


Employment and Business


Apprentice records published here may not necessarily mean that the apprentice was from the parish but was apprenticed to a master within the parish.

Nathan Cooper 1741

Wiltshire Society Apprentices 
Charles Merritt 1836 William Swatton 1831 George White 1844
John White 1832
Mark White 1838
Mark White 1853  

Markets and Fairs

Christmas Fare at Devizes 1870 


Miscellaneous Documents


Non Conformity and Other Places of Worship

Allington Chapel (see tab below)


People and Parish Notables

People Gallery

Associations, Clubs, Organisations and Societies

Wiltshire Friendly Society Membership 1827-1871           Labourer's Friend Society Meeting at Devizes 1833

Census Returns Transcripts

1851          1861

Please note that the original 1841 Census return did not survive for All Cannings

Coroners Bills

County coroners were introduced in England in around 1194 once established other boroughs and liberties sought the right to have their own coroner.  Often in Medieval times the coroner also assumed the role of the sheriff and his duties weren't limited to holding inquests on dead bodies although almost a full time post they were unpaid for the duties apart from those that were deemed murder of manslaughter when they would receive 13s. 4d.   From the 24th June 1752 a law was passed allowing the coroner to claim £1 for every inquest they attended not held in a gaol and also to claim 9d per mile travel allowance from the place of residence.  Inquests held in any gaol were performed at a rate totalling no more than £1.  These costs were to be paid from the county rates.  In cases of homicide the coroner also received the former fee of 13s. 4d.  The coroners submitted their bills at the quarter session sittings for approval.  Coroners Bills 1752-1796

Elections and Polls

Poll of Freeholders 1772             Poll Book 1818           Voters List 1832            Voters Lists Revisions 1843                County Council Election Notice 1925                MP Nominations 2015

Parish Notables

Andy Scott, Guitarist & Songwriter, member of the Glam Rock Band "Sweet"

Personal Research Items     

Tuck Family Research Burial Extracts - These items were donated by Ken Tuck and contains entries that may or may not relate to the Tuck family however they have been published as such.  Many references to Quaker entries may be found from across the county.


Knight Compositions 1628             


Poor Law, Charity and the Workhouse

Poor Law Union Bread & Flour Contract 1838



Probate Notices 1800-1899                  National Probate Index 1858-1966

Parishioners Wills

Henry Hiscock 1568 & 1569               Thomas Neate the Elder 1661              Mary Longcaster 1695


War, Conflict and Military Matters

Military & War Memorial Gallery

Why the Poppy Servicemen & Families with the 1st Wilts. Regt. in South Africa 1911 Casualties of WWI Named in the Diocese of Salisbury Memorial Book
Casualties of WWI Biographies    

British Red Cross/Voluntary Aid Detachment

Jane Cave 1916-1917          Harriett Locke 1914-1919   




Allington Photo Gallery

Village History

Allington is a small hamlet, 1/2 mile north of All Cannings. There are many barrows in the neighbourhood and the Rybury camp (Iron Age) is on a hill 1 1/2 miles to the northeast.  [source: The Red Book, published by Methuen, 1949]

The hamlet of Allington can be found on the Horton Road (off A361, London Road, near Devizes)


Buildings and Land


Inclosure Award Abstract 1799

Listed Buildings 

Grade II Listed

5 Allington                 Bethel Street Baptist Chapel               Hotspur House

Crime and Legal Matters

Bastardy Examinations          Crime Reports 1700-1799



Post Office 1855          Gillmans 1899        Gillmans 1900          Gillmans 1914



National School Admissions

Amy Abbott 1902          George Henry Abbott 1902          Ida D. Abbott 1904          Mabel Abbott 1902


Emigration and Migration

Strays Index               Emigrant - James Ellis 1863


Employment and Business


Miscellaneous Documents


Non Conformity and Other Places of Worship

A Strict Baptist Chapel (Bethel Street Baptist) opened here in 1828 through the efforts of Joseph Parry, the principle farmer of Allington, the village Evangelist, and became a prominent social centre for the people of Allington.  Most of the inhabitants attended the chapel. On Census Sunday 1851 the morning attendance was 80, whilst 100 people came to chapel in the afternoon.  Until 1881 the villagers were married at All Cannings.  In that year the Chapel was registered to solemnize their own marriages. The chapel closed between c1927 and 1937, after that weekly services continued through the 20th century and into the present one.               Strict Baptist Church Gallery               Chapelyard Memorials Survey - A small area in front of the Chapel.  A farmyard is located behind the burial ground.

People and Parish Notables

Census Returns Transcripts

1851           1861  

Please note that the Original 1841 Census Return has not survived.

Elections and Polls

Poll of Freeholders 1772           Poll Book 1818          Voters List 1832              

Personal Research Items     

Tuck Family Research Burial Extracts - These items were donated by Ken Tuck and contains entries that may or may not relate to the Tuck family however they have been published as such.  Many references to Quaker entries may be found from across the county.


Poor Law, Charity and The Workhouse




War, Conflict and Military Matters


British Red Cross/V.A.D. Volunteers 

Janie Cave 1917-1918



Read 18036 times Last modified on Friday, 27 September 2019 11:29

Add comment

Please be aware that comments are not checked daily, if you have a question it is better to contact the volunteer directly. However if you just wish to show appreciation or remark upon the page please feel free to do that here.

Security code

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

I accept cookies from this site.
EU Cookie Directive plugin by www.channeldigital.co.uk