Contiguous Parishes (our neighbours)
Britford with East Harnham - Downton with Standlynch - Laverstock & Ford - Nunton & Bodenham - Pitton & Farley - West Grimstead - Whiteparish - Winterbourne Earls
GenUKI - For information on Alderbury
University of Leicester's - Website for historical Wiltshire directories
Alderbury & Whaddon Village - History of the Village
The Homestead - For parish records
Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre - The Wiltshire County Archives for all historical documents and the place to obtain original copies
Wiltshire Community History - Historical information for parishes within the Wiltshire County jurisdiction.
Register of One-Place Studies - Alderbury Entry
Wikipedia - Alderbury Entry
Vision of Britain Through Time - Alderbury Entry
The Parish Church of St. Mary
Ivychurch Priory was established in the mid 1100s near the present Green Dragon Inn and was used by the local population as well as royal visitors to nearby Clarendon Manor until the dissolution of the monasteries in 1536. There was a medieval church on the site of the present St Mary's church. The Doomsday Book of 1086 makes mention of it and the Yew tree, which stands at the door of the present church, is thought to have been there at that time.
The present church was built in 1858 incorporating the foundations of the old church designed by Samuel Sanders Teulon. It is grade II listed. Within the church are examples of stained glass by Henry Holiday, Clayon & Bell, Heaton, Butler and Bayne and William Morris. The church is surrounded by about an acre of graveyard, all tombstones except one date from the 18th century onwards.
|Protestation Return 1640-1641||Church Matters 1750-1799||Church Matters 1800-1849|
|Church Matters 1850-1899||Consecration of New Church 1858|
Parish Register Transcripts
Please note that transcripts of the above vital records may contain large gaps of missing data since they have not been transcribed from the original parish regiaters.
Parish Registers held at WSHC
Records available from other sources
The parish includes the village of Whaddon and the hamlet of Shute End it also includes the extra parochial location of Clarendon Park and the area known as Ivychurch. Alderbury village is situated about three miles south east of Salisbury in southern Wiltshire. It stands to the east of the River Avon bordered on the west by Longford Estate and on the east by Clarendon Estate. It is a very pretty small village with many thatched cottages and surrounded by well kept farmland. Although close to the city of Salisbury it is peaceful and quiet. The motorway from Salisbury to Southampton bypasses the village. In the early 1300's the village may be referred to as Alwardbury. Alward being the priest in charge and Lord of the Manor. In 1801 the population of the village was 430. By 1851 it had risen to 742 but then dropped slightly and remained the same until about 1930. Mass immigration took place in the second half of the 19th century, caused by great poverty in the mid 1800s when mechanisation took away the jobs of many farm workers. By 1996 there were 2077 living in the village. Many travel to nearby Salisbury and other areas to work but prefer to come home to quiet village life.
1837 - 1896 Aldebury Registration District
1896 - Present Salisbury Registration District
Buildings and Land
The Salisbury and Southampton Canal was built from Kimbridge (where it joined the Andover Canal) to Alderbury but was never completed as far as Salisbury; construction stopped at Tunnel Hill, near Alderbury House. The canal was opened in 1802 or 1803 and closed in 1806.
Ivychurch Priory, near Alderbury, was an Augustinian monastery established in the 12th century and dissolved in 1536.
At Shute End, St. Marie's Grange was built in 1835 by architect Augustus Pugin for his own occupation. The house is Grade I listed.
Green Dragon Inn
The inn dates from the 15th century with 16th century additions. The inn was visited by Charles Dickens not long before he wrote 'Martin Chuzzlewit'. It is widely believed that the Blue Dragon Inn from the book was based on the Green Dragon Inn. It is also believed that Dickens was ferried across the River Avon by members of the Hazel family who had ran this service for over a hundred years. Green Dragon Gallery
White Horse Tap Room
There is a social club which is situated next to the village hall in the grounds of the recreation field.
The Bishopstoke-Romsey-Salisbury section of the London and South Western Railway was built north of Alderbury and Whaddon, turning west into the Dean valley towards Dean station at West Dean. Opened in 1847, it continues in use as part of the Wessex Main Line between Bristol and Southampton. In 1866 the Salisbury and Dorset Junction Railway was built from a junction with the earlier railway near Alderbury, skirting Whaddon and turning south towards Downtonand the south coast. This line was closed in 1964 and the track was lifted.
Crime and Legal Matters
Animal Related Crime
General Crime Items
Prisons and Prisoners
Alderbury has a primary school, Alderbury & West Grimstead CofE (VA) Primary School (commonly abbreviated as "AWGS") which opened in 1993 on a new site to replace a building which had been used as a school since 1838
Emigration and Migration
From Wiltshire to Wales by Ray Palmer
Employment and Business
Agriculture and Land
Alderbury has a local store on Canal Lane.
Non Conformity and Other Places of Worship
Church of England
Church of England Church at Whaddon, now demolished
In 1802 Methodists met in the home of John Cook.
Primitive Methodist Chapel, Southampton Road, Whaddon, now demolished (See Whaddon Tab Below)
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Folly Lane, Alderbury
This chapel was built in 1825 and demolished in 1970
There is mention in old records of a strong group of Quakers being in the area about 1677. Their burial ground was at the far end of a track call Quakers Drove situated between Alderbury and Whaddon.
Holy Family Roman Catholic Church, Southampton Road, Whaddon, established 1990 using the former Primitive Methodist Chapel (See Whaddon Tab Below)
People and Parish Notables
Associations, Clubs, Organisations and Societies
Census Returns Transcripts
County coroners were introduced in England in around 1194 once established other boroughs and liberties sought the right to have their own coroner. Often in Medieval times the coroner also assumed the role of the sheriff and his duties weren't limited to holding inquests on dead bodies although almost a full time post they were unpaid for the duties apart from those that were deemed murder of manslaughter when they would receive 13s. 4d. From the 24th June 1752 a law was passed allowing the coroner to claim £1 for every inquest they attended not held in a gaol and also to claim 9d per mile travel allowance from the place of residence. Inquests held in any gaol were performed at a rate totalling no more than £1. These costs were to be paid from the county rates. In cases of homicide the coroner also received the former fee of 13s. 4d. The coroners submitted their bills at the quarter session sittings for approval. Coroners Bills 1752-1796
Elections and Polls
John Dove - Parliamentarian Politician - died at Ivychurch c1644/1645
Violet Millicent Pinckney 1871-1955, British Tennis Player & Olympian
Tennis player Violet Millicent Pinckney (1871-1955) was born at Alderbury.
Personal Research Items
Tuck Family Research Burial Extracts - This item was donated by Ken Tuck and contains entries that may or may not relate to the Tuck family however they have been published as such. Many refer to Quaker burials found across the county
Poor Law, Charity and the Workhouse
Although named the Alderbury Union Workhouse the building was in fact situated within the parish of Britford at Longford. (See Longford Tab on the Britford Parish Page)
Inquisitions Post Mortem of Lands Held