Contiguous Parishes (our neighbours)
Allington - Amesbury - Boscombe - Cholderton - Grately (HAM) - Over Wallop (HAM) - Quarley (HAM)
Websites of Interest
GenUKI - For information relating to Newton Tony.
Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre - The Wiltshire County Archives for all historical documents and the place to obtain original copies
Wiltshire Community History - Historical information for parishes within the Wiltshire County jurisdiction.
University of Leicester - Website for historical Wiltshire directories.
Bourne Valley Historical Society - Local History Society.
The Parish Church of St. Andrew
There was a churchyard of some kind in Newton Tony in 1179 but it is not clear if there was a church at that time, although there was a church building in Newton Tony by the end of the 12th century. The current church at Newton Tony is dedicated to St. Andrew; it was built in 1844 in a 14th century style and replaced the earlier church which was demolished in 1843. The new church cost £1,100 to build and was designed by architects Wyatt and Brandon; it is now a Grade II listed building. St Andrew's retains a Norman font and pews from the original church. There were family pews for the Malet and Poore families. There are stained glass windows in the chancel. The church was repaired in 1904 to honour the memory of Sir Harry Eden Mallet. More repairs were made in the 1970s. The required amount of £4, 250 to repair the church fully was mainly raised by fundraising. Electric lighting was first installed in the church in 1953. There are four bells in the tower and the tenor bell came from the Salisbury Foundry in the 17th century. There are many heraldic tablets in the church, celebrating the local Malet family. There is a wall monument dedicated to Dame Marian Dora Malet and a tablet for George Malet, who after his death in Persia in 1856, was remembered when his sword and scabbard were hung in the church. One memorial is to Celia Fiennes, who was born in Newton Tony (1662- 1741). Celia travelled across England visiting every County on horseback and writing her journals. The communion plates are from the 17th century. On Census Sunday (religious) in 1851, the afternoon service was attended by 114 people. St. Andrew's Church Gallery
Parish Register Transcripts
Parish Registers held at WSHC
Baptisms 1586-1909 Marriages 1591-1988 Burials 1568-1991
July 1837 - April 1936 Amesbury Registration District
April 1936 - Present Salisbury Registration District
Buildings and Land
Crime and Legal Matters
Emigration and Migration
Employment and Business
Non Conformity and Other Places of Worship
People and Parish Notables
Census Returns Transcripts
Elections and Polls
Poor Law, Charity and the Workhouse
Appointment of Overseers
Inquisitions Post Mortem of Lands Held
War, Conflict and Military Matters