Contiguous Parishes (our neighbours)
Alderbury - Britford - Downton - Odstock - Whitsbury
GenUKI - For information on Wiltshire and Nunton Bodenham
Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre - The Wiltshire County Archives for all historical documents and the place to obtain original copies
Wiltshire Community History - Historical information for parishes within the Wiltshire County jurisdiction.
Register of One-Place Studies - Nunton Entry
The Parish Church of St. Andrew
Parish Registers held at WSHC
The Village of Nunton
The village grew up, in Saxon times, around a farmstead, whose occupants grew pulses and corn on 12 ha of land. Its early history was tied in with Downton, where the moderately luxurious villa was the centre of a typical Roman farmstead, until it was superseded by Saxon settlement on sites nearer the river, and was deserted. Downton was the principal village in the 7th and 8th centuries, and the centre of the bishop of Winchester's manor - one of the See's earliest endowments and richest manors - visited by William I in the late 11th century. The 13th century demesne had more than 2,000 sheep, never exceeded after 1312, but totals below 1,000 were rare. Most of the Avon valley meadows and a great sheep walk were still part of the demesne when it was leased. Nunton's lands reached back from the Ebble some 6 km. to the Wiltshire-Hampshire border beyond Grim's ditch. The lordship of Downton manor was leased in 1551 to Sir William Herbert, created earl of Pembroke that year, and again under the 1558–9 Act. Sir Joseph Ashe, Bt. replaced Philip, earl of Pembroke and Montgomery, in 1662 as lord farmer; the manor was bought, in 1741, by Anthony Duncombe (created Lord Feversham in 1747). At his death in 1763 Lord Feversham's widow Anne (d. 1795), married (in 1765) William Bouverie, Viscount Folkestone (created earl of Radnor in that year). The tithing contained 28–30 households c. 1577 and a tenth of the rateable wealth of Downton parish in 1628. The 1801 population of the 1,215 a. (492 ha.) parish, was 221; declining to 259 in 1931.
1837 - 1896 Alderbury Registration District
1896 - Present Salisbury Registration District
Buildings and Land
Crime and Legal Matters
There were two day-schools (neither in a special building) in the parish in 1833: one, with 26 children, was started in 1826, and supported by the parents; the other, with 32 children, was supported by the generosity of a lady. Nunton's glebe-house was, however, converted for the Sunday school - and in 1846 it was adapted as an elementary school, funded from 1860 by the state. 1863's average attendance was 49, falling to 36 by 1903 - and closing in 1922 when the children transferred to Odstock.
Emigration and Migration
Employment and Business
Non Conformity and Other Places of Worship
People and Parish Notables
Elections and Polls
Poor Law, Charity and the Workhouse
Inquisitions of Lands Held
War, Conflict and Military Matters