Contiguous Parishes (our neighbours)
Aldbourne - Baydon - Chilton Foliat - Froxfield - Hungerford - Lambourn (BRK) - Little Bedwyn - Mildenhall - Ogbourne St. George
Duncan and Mandy Ball's - Website for images of Holy Cross Church
GenUKI - For information relating to Wiltshire and Ramsbury
Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre - The Wiltshire County Archives for all historical documents and the place to obtain original copies
Wiltshire Community History - Historical information for parishes within the Wiltshire County jurisdiction.
Register of One-Place Studies - Ramsbury Entry
The Parish Church of Holy Cross
On the banks of the River Kennet not far from the Berkshire border is the ancient town of Ramsbury which in pre-Conquest days was the seat of Wiltshire's Bishop. Its large mediaeval church is distinguished by a massive west tower surrounded by tremendous buttresses. The chancel is of thirteenth century origin but its windows were replaced during the fourteenth century. The spacious nave is late Gothic. The church contains a number of monuments, particularly in the Darrell chapel north of the chancel. Of outstanding interest are the fragments of crosses and gravestones of pre-Conquest date, gathered together at the west end of the north aisle. They are presumably relics of the old cathedral.
|History and Tour of the Church||Inside Church - Memorial Plaque Survey||Holy Cross Churchyard Survey|
|Walk around the Churchyard||Interesting Entries from the Parish Register||Easter Vestry Meeting 1951|
|Mission and Pastoral Measure 2011|
Parish Registers held at WSHC
The Village Square was once the location of its centuries old Wych Elm. The tree was believed to have been left standing as Ramsbury grew from a clearing in the great expanse of Savernake Forest. Over the years the tree became dried out and became hollow due to Dutch Elm Disease. The tree was deemed unsafe and removed but replaced with an Oak Tree. Legend has it that the original elm tree was the shade of a local witch who had taken up residence in the tree, and locals were worried that she may curse the area if the elm was felled.
Ramsbury Includes the tythings of Axford, Eastridge and Whittonditch. Also includes the areas known as Marridge or Marriage Hill and Membury.
1837 - April 1937 Hungerford Registration District
April 1937 - Present Marlborough Registration District
Buildings and Land
Crime and Legal Matters
Prisons and Prisoners
|Universal British 1793-1798||Pigot & Co. 1830||Robsons 1839||Pigot & Co. 1842-1844||Slaters 1852-1853||Post Office 1855|
|Post Office 1859||Kellys 1867||Kellys 1889||Kellys 1898||Kellys 1903||Kellys 1915|
|Post Office Telephone 1920||Swindon & District 1928|
Emigration and Migration
General Emigration/Migration Items
Obituaries of Emigrants in Australia
Employment and Business
Wiltshire Society Apprentices
Non Conformity and Other Places of Worship
People and Parish Notables
Associations, Clubs, Organisations and Societies
Census Returns Transcripts
Please note that these transcripts also contain the tithings of Ramsbury such as Axford.
Elections, Polls and Voters Lists
Laura Collett, British Three Day Eventer. Laura is based at the stables of Membury House and had the honour of training the former champion racehorse Kauto Star in dressage. Sadly the horse was injured in a freak accident whilst in his paddock and later had to put to sleep by vets in July 2015
Personal Research Items
Tuck Family Research Burial Extracts - These items were donated by Ken Tuck and contains entries that may or may not relate to the Tuck family however they have been published as such. Many references to Quaker entries may be found from across the county.
Poor Law, Charity and The Workhouse
Inquisitions Post Mortem of Lands Held