Contiguous Parishes (our neighbours)
Chisbury - Enford - Figheldean - Maddington - Netheravon - Orcheston St George - Rollstone - Winterbourne Stoke
GenUKI - For information on Wiltshire and Shrewton
St Mary's - Church website for general information
Shrewton - Village Website
Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre - The Wiltshire County Archives for all historical documents and the place to obtain original copies
Wiltshire Community History - Historical information for parishes within the Wiltshire County jurisdiction.
The Parish Church of St. Mary
Parish Registers held at WSHC
For many years at least until before WWI the people of Shrewton celebrated Trinity Monday (this may have been actually Whit Monday as this was a public bank holiday). Traditionally the local friendly societies would gather at the fair field in the morning and in the afternoon tea was provided for the children of the village. A carousel provided by Henry Jenning of Devizes normally featured as a central attraction with many other side shows and booths. In the early 1920's an outing to Edington Priory Church was made and 3 vehicles were needed to ferry the trippers three of which were the Reverend Bull, Dolly Gant and Ina Kilford.
1837 - April 1936 Amesbury Registration District
April 1936 - Present Salisbury Registration District
Buildings and Land
Buildings of Note
This thatched cottage on London Road is so named due to the sundial which is hung just below the thatch of the upper floor. A wooden plaque attached reads 'Life's but a walking shadow'. The dial is dated 1832. The cottage over the years has been home to the Lovelock and Pitt families at various stages of its history.
Public Houses and Hotels
The Bustard Inn (Hotel)
Landlord William Young played host to news reporters during WWI when they used his hotel as a base for reporting on troop movements around Salisbury plain.
Situated on the London Road in 1904 the landlord was Henry Ackerman and prior to the host was William Morrell.
The Plume of Feathers
On 10th January 1914 an open top bus owned by John Hall & Son left the public house to travel to Swindon Town F.C.s ground to see the Wiltshire team beat Manchester Utd. 1-0. The local Newsagent shop was situated in a hut in the yard of the public house. Publican James Bundy and his son Herbert owned the newsagents. The errand or delivery boy was Jack 'Speedy' Carter.
Crime and Legal Matters
Emigration and Migration
Employment and Business
Apprentice records published here may not necessarily mean that the apprentice was from the parish but was apprenticed to a master within the parish.
Community Services Services
Non Conformity and Other Places of Worship
People and Parish Notables
Albert Victor Chant played a drum in the Shrewton Band
Bill Kilford wrote on the back of a postcard in 1915 that he was involved in erecting huts at Rollestone Camp.
Elections, Polls and Voting Lists
Poor Law, Charity and the Workhouse
Inquisitions of Land Held
War, Conflict and Military Matters
General Military Items
Memorial Books and War Memorials
Diocese of Salisbury Memorial Book 1914-1918 Shrewton War Memorial
Salisbury Plain in Flood Time 1915
Civilian Deaths 1939-1945