Contiguous Parishes (our neighbours)
Burcombe - Durnford - Fugglestone St Peter with Bemerton - Great Wishford - Stapleford - Wilton - Woodford
Websites of Interest
GenUKI - For information relating to Wiltshire and South Newton.
University of Leicester's - Website has historical Wiltshire directories.
Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre - The Wiltshire County Archives for all historical documents and the place to obtain original copies.
Wiltshire Community History - Historical information for parishes within the Wiltshire County jurisdiction.
The Parish Church of St. Andrew
St. Andrew's Church was built mainly of rubble with ashlar dressings and has flint and stone chequerwork. It consists of a chancel with a north chapel and south vestry, a nave with north aisle and a south porch and a west tower. Nearly all the external walling was rebuilt in 1861-2 to designs by T H Wyatt. The chancel and the aisle were built in the early 13th century, as was the chancel arch, which in 1861-2 was moved to become the tower arch. In 1553 a plate weighing 1.5 oz was confiscated and a chalice of 6.05 oz was left in the parish. The chalice was replaced by one hallmarked in 1576. Of the original four bells from 1553, two still hung in the church in 1993. A fifth bell was added in 1862 and a sixth in 1887.
Parish Register Transcripts
Note the marriages here are sorted in alphabetical order with bride and groom hence the two sets of marriages for the same date
Parish Registers held at WSHC
The parish of South Newton is immediately north of Wilton; a detached part North Ugford is immediately west of Wilton, in the main the parish is essentially the land of a 10th century estate bounded on the west by the river Wylie and on the east by a way along the ridge dividing the valleys of the Wylie and the Christchurch Avon. Four settlements grew up by the Wylie, South Newton, Little Wishford, Stofold and Chilhampton.
Burdens Ball to the south is a fifth settlement. The village stands beside the Wilton to Warminster road, The church, vicarage and Manor farm formed a group on the east side of the road. Manor farmhouse was rebuilt in 1799, the vicarage demolished in the mid 19th century.
North of the church there were farmsteads and other buildings on both sides of the road in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. Those that have survived on the east side are Newton cottage (thatched and dated 1679) and the Bell Inn (opened in 1759) which now occupies an 18th century house. The Plough was an Inn in the early 18th century. A fire in the village destroyed seven houses and three barns in the village in 1752.
South of the church, South Newton Mill has long stood on the River Wylie. By 1773 a line of buildings stood along the east side of the road, north of the mill. Newton House and a new vicarage were built just north of the church, both have now been converted into nursing homes. Pembroke cottage and a terrace of four houses are dated 1859. In 1993 the Earl of Pembroke and Montgomery owned most of the land.
1837 - April 1936 Wilton Registration District
April 1936 - Present Salisbury Registration District
Buildings and Land
Property to Let
Crime and Legal Matters
Prisons and Prisoners
Proceedings in Chancery Elizabeth I Era (1558-1603)
1783 no school in the parish
1818 three Dame schools had 75 pupils, 35 were children of paupers
1833 a small school, attended by 7 boys and 17 girls, opened
1838 National school, with a teachers house built. It had 58 pupils in 1846. The National school was described as clean and tidy and well conducted in 1858 when there were 30-40 pupils. That number rose to 75 by 1873 and in 1909 the average attendance was 58, falling to 22 in 1927; the school closed in 1935.
Emigration and Migration
Published in tables from the Poor Law Commissioners Annual Reports for 1835, 1836 and 1847-1848 the following may be of use for tracing missing ancestors. 14 paupers emigrated to South Australia under an assisted emigration programme between April 1839 - April 1840
Employment and Business
Apprentice records published here may not necessarily mean that the apprentice was from the parish but was apprenticed to a master within the parish.
Non Conformity and Other Places of Worship
People and Parish Notables
Associations, Clubs, Organisations and Societies
Census Returns Transcripts
Elections and Polls
Poor Law, Charity and The Workhouse
Charities for the Poor
Some of the money given by Mr. Daniel for poor widows of the parish had been lost by 1786, thereafter Daniels charity comprised from £10 and distributed annually. J. H. Flooks yearly increased the amount by 10s. and in his will in 1844 he gave £50 to the charity. In 1901 each of 10 widows received 3s. 4d., in 1930 £2 0s. 5d was distributed, and in 1950 £1 10s. 4d. In the later 20th century the income was allowed to accumulate; £34 was distributed in 1961.
J. H. Flooks also gave in his will the income from £500 for bread for the poor of South Newton and Wilton. South Newton was to receive the bread in alternate years, but in the late 19th century received £7, half the income. Annually 210 gallons of bread were distributed in 1901, 102 gallons of bread shared by 227 recipients in 1930 and in 1960 £6. 7s. 0d. was spent on bread for 21 parishioners. Nothing further is known since 1960.
Appointment of Overseers
Inquisitions Post Mortem of Lands Held
War, Conflict and Military Matters
|Why the Poppy||Autumn Manoeuvres 1872||Reservists Leave for the Front 1899||Diocese of Salisbury Memorial Book 1914-1918|
|South Newton War Memorial||Roll of Honour Plaques|
We would like to thank Jean Barnwell for her efforts as OPC for this parish
This was probably a single farmstead in the 16th century. A chapel, possibly from the 13th century, was demolished when only Burdens Ball farmhouse and two other houses stood there. The Wilton union workhouse was built north west of Kingsway and a chapel was built in 1864, served by the vicar of South Newton until 1940. The railway station opened in 1856 and closed in 1955. A gasworks was built in 1859 and closed in 1934. In 1990's the former workhouse and sites of the station and gasworks were used for industry. Burdens Ball Manor was sometimes known as Fugglestone Manor.
In the Middle Ages and until the mid 19th Century, Chilhampton seems to have been a small settlement consisting of a line of farmsteads on the land of South Newton Manor. The road is likely to have been remade on a new course east of the village when it was turnpiked in 1761. 1800 there were about four farmsteads and several other houses and cottages. In 1993 the earl of Pembroke and Montgomery owned most of the land.
A house belonging to Stephen Wootton was licensed to hold meetings
A small settlement in the 14th century. In the 18th and early 19th centuries, Little Wishford consisted of no more than two groups of farm buildings, both of which stood to the south of the Warminster road; only one included a farmhouse in 1844. Little Wishford Farmhouse was rebuilt in the early 19th century. A large farm building called Crough's barn was built north of Little Wishford farmhouse between 1957 and 1969. A church at Little Wishford was mentioned in 1428 but at no other time.
The village comprised of a line of farmsteads on the land of South Newton Manor. The ford between Stofold and Great Wishford on the west bank of the Wyley had been replaced by a bridge by the early 18th century. The Earl of Pembroke and Montgomery owned most of the land in Stofold. There was a malthouse in the village in 1805 and brewers in 1848 and 1855.
Buildings and Land
1883 Stofold house was certified for use as a residential school for a maximum of 15 girls.
1921 A small red brick chapel was built for United Methodists which closed in 1956
People and Parish Notables
Ugford was a village on the south side of the riverside road from Wilton to Mere. It had a church in the Middle Ages and its land belonged to Wilton Abbey. Known as Ugford St John in the 12 and 13th centuries; Ugford Abbess in the 16th century; Ugford St Giles in the 17th century; but more often known as North Ugford. South Ugford was on the south side of the river Nadder and apparently lost its identity in the late 18th century since when North Ugford has simply been known as Ugford. A cemetery for Wilton was opened in 1901 on land regarded as part of South Newton parish in 1844.
1698 the house of George Blake registered for Presbyterian meetings
1777 the house of Joseph Horn registered as a meeting place
1798 the house of Susan Randall registered for unspecified worship
1807 a licence granted for Methodist meetings
1812 Methodist chapel built in 1812, demolished by 1900
People and Parish Notables