Contiguous Parishes (our neighbours)
Blunsdon St. Andrew - Broad Blunsdon - Chiseldon - Liddington - Rodbourne Cheney - South Marston - Stanton Fitzwarren - Swindon - Wanborough
GenUKI - For information on Wiltshire
Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre - The Wiltshire County Archives for all historical documents and the place to obtain original copies
Wiltshire Community History - Historical information for parishes within the Wiltshire County jurisdiction.
Stratton St. Margaret Parish Council - Official Parish Council Website
Wikipedia - Stratton St Margaret - Wikipedia entry for Stratton St Margaret
St. Margarets Church - link to the parish church site.
Swindon Library - Swindon Library's online collection of Stratton St Margaret photographs
Swindon Viewpoint - Local Video News Website includes Archive footage and photographs.
Highworth & Swindon Poor Law Union - Information on the Workhouse for Stratton St. Margaret
The Parish Church of St. Margaret of Antioch
There was originally an Anglo Saxon wattle & thatch church on the site dating back before 1000 AD. A Norman church was built in its place and the current Church of England parish church of St. Margaret of Antioch dates from the 13th century in the reign of Edward I (Edward Longshanks 1272-1307). Read more about St. Margaret's Church here.
Parish Register Transcripts
Parish Registers held at WSHC
BTs 1837-1863 are held at Bristol Record Office
Stratton St. Margaret, once a village, has now become the north east part of Swindon and is rapidly becoming suburbanised. For a full history of the Parish follow link - Parish History by Nigel Chalk
|Items Relating to the parish from Highworth DC Meetings Minutes held at WSHC||The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-1895|
|A Topographical Dictionary of England Extract 1848||Dame Durden - A Traditional Folk Song performed in 1915|
1837 - 1896 Highworth Registration District
1896 - Present Swindon Registration District
Parish Celebrations and Festivals
|Coronation Booklet of King George VI 1937||Programme for the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II, 1953||Golden Jubilee Events Held by Schools 2012|
|Storm Showers Add to Family Fun 2014||Stratton Fetival 2016 Poster|
Buildings and Land
For a list of buildings and their details please read our document Buildings and Land of Stratton St. Margaret
PLease note that some of the parish council burial records were burnt and therefore the lists below are not complete
Green Road Cemetery, Upper Stratton 1861-1985 (Please note that anything in italics within the spreadsheet have been added or amended and may not appear in the original registers. More images will be available as and when the OPC can obtain copies. Those available at present are marked with a YES within the spreadsheet). Available images can be viewed here
Available Images and look ups for dates after 1985 can be obtained by contacting the OPC via the Contact Us Tab at the top of this page and selecting OPCs from the drop down menu. It is anticipated that all Headstones will be photographed and made available online until that time please request a copy from the OPC who can be contacted via the Contact us link at the top of the page.
For Lower Stratton Cemetery please refer to the Lower Stratton page.
Farms Gallery Many thanks to Clive Carter for supplying additional information for individual farm histories below.
Crowdy’s Hill Farm
15 Acres, situated on the west of Cricklade Road, was originally bought by Henry Tuckey in 1850’s from Upper Stratton Farm, also known as Coxpits. In 1860 it was sold as part of the estate of Thomas Tuckey, Land Tax shown as 14s. In the 1948 and 1951 Street Directories P. Herring is living here. It is now site of the Co-op Funeral Service.
Situated in Ermin Street. The 1948 street directory has L. P. & P. S. Hinder in residence and L. P. & O. P. Hinder by 1951. The site became the Hinders Yard.
Marsh Farm (Green Farm)
The farm was at Stratton Green. Joseph Hayden was farmer here according to the 1881 census. The 1948 Street Directory shows Emily Baker living here, but now called Green farm. By 1951 it had reverted to Marsh farm as listed in the 1951 Street Directory with Holloway family in occupation.
Situated on the Swindon Road. In the 1890 Trade Directory Joseph Higgins was farm bailiff here and in the 1901 census shows Edward Tuckwell as farm bailiff living here with his family. The site of the farm is now used for industrial purposes.
Pidgeon House Farm
This is shown on 1922 map as being behind Jacobs Ladder in Ermin Street.
Ryall Farm (Rial farm)
Sturrey Brook Farm
The farm was situated on the Highworth Road.
The parish of Stratton St. Margaret is criss crossed with many footpaths. Some of these footpaths follow the ancient walkways that the early Stratton residents would have used. The Boundary Close Footpath is preserved as such. More details about the footpaths
Hospitals and Health Facilities
Sandalwood Place of Safety Decision Delayed 2017
|Map Showing Parish Shrinkage||Map of c1804||Ordnance Survey Map 1811-1812||Ordnance Survey Map 1816|
|Map of 1841||Map of 1882||Map of 1893||Map of Land for Sale 1906|
Planning & Development
Property to be Let
For list of pubs, their history and landlords go to Public Houses 1700s-Present
Railway, Canal & Public Transport
Stratton station was on Highworth Light Railway which opened on 9th May 1883, closing to passengers on 28th February 1953 and to all traffic on 3rd August 1962. At one period up to 100 churns of milk were sent to London daily on the railway. Read more about the history of the railway, canal and public transport here.
Sale of Buildings and Land
Crime and Legal Matters
Animal Related Crime
Drunk and Disorderly
Miscellaneous Crime Items
|Post Office 1855||Post Office 1859||Kellys 1867||Post Office 1875||Kellys 1889|
|North Wilts 1890||Kellys 1895||Kellys 1898||Kellys 1903||Kellys 1907|
|Kellys 1911||Kellys 1915|
The Swindon & District Year Book for 1948 is quite an important document for family historians since it lists names and address of residents of the parish. Once the 1921 Census is released for public viewing in 2022 there will be no other available Census for public view scheduled for release until the 1951 Census is released in 2052. The 1931 Census was lost in a fire in its entirety in 1942 and there was no Census taken during 1941 due to WWII action therefore leaving a large gap between 1921 and 1951. The National Identity Card Records of 1939 is the only other source available which could help fill the gap this is controlled by the NHS Archives it is now available to view via Find My Past but charges will apply unless you have a subscription even then strict rules apply for access.
A few children were educated by means of the rent of lands left in 1720 by John Hurring. The local school board was formed February 12, 1876 and was dissolved by the Education Act of 1902.
For more information about the schools in and around Stratton please read this article.
Headlands Grammar School
|Placement Letters 1963||Workbook Cover & Timetable for Susan Lott 1963||Headlandian Magazine 1967|
|G.C.E. Examination Timetable 1968||Headlandian Magazine 1968||School Sports Day Programme 1968|
Ruskin Junior School
St. Catherine's R.C. Primary
Teachers Registered living in Stratton
01/07/1915 - 9704 - Elsie Emma Davis (nee.Lewis) 53 Oxford Road
01/03/1920 - 32570 - May Birds (nee. Chapman) Eyam Villa, 85 The Street - French, Physiography, Human Physiology, Model drawing.
Emigration and Migration
From Leicester Chronicle 9/7/1853 - On the 14th February last, at Adelaide, South Australia, by special license, at Trinity Church, Alfred, eldest son of Mr. J. Adams, of Stratton St. Margaret's, Wiltshire, to Clara, eldest daughter of Mr. William Severn, late of Ashby-de-la-Zonch, Leicestershire, England
Employment and Business
For a History of local business and employment see Business and Employment in Stratton St. Margaret
Agriculture and Land
Steam Flour Mill – On Canal at Greenbridge, in 1891 owned by Frogley & Deacon.
Animals and Pets
Apprenticeships were often advertised in local papers. Please refer to Employment News 1800-1899 for examples
Beauty and Hairdressing
Arkell Family and Brewery
See also articles under Kingsdown
|Partnership Dissolved 1846||Dinner in a Barrel 1856||Probate Notice for John Arkell Deceased 1882||Promotional Mileage Chart 1969|
|Obituary and Tributes to Peter Arkell 2010||Arkell Family Overwiew||A Complete History of Arkell's|
Location of Brickmakers
Carpentry & Sawyers
Bramhill Sawmill was just up Oxford Road on the site of the old brick works, Burden & Evergreen Closes now cover this area.
Cart and Wagon Builders
W. H. Hill
W.H. Hill Advert for W. H. Hill 1928
Clothing, Footwear and Textiles
J. Compton Sons & Webb - Swindon Clothing manufacturers had a factory in Stratton which was used to produce uniforms during the wars. The main site was in Station Road, Swindon.
Cooke's was a small boot & shoe repair shop
Pressed Steel & Rover Group
|Pressed Steel||Decision To Erect New Factory 1955||Harold Lott - Pension Documents 1959||Strike at Plant 1961|
|Rover - 40th Anniversary Mayors Speech 1995||Mini Car Plant Investment Boost November 2013||Mini Car Plant Staff Help Gain Award 2014|
Entertainment and Hospitality
Food Preparation and Manufactureing
St. Margaret's Wiltshire Bacon
Garages, Cycle Shops, Vehicle Body Shops and Petrol Stations
North Wilts Sanitary Steam Laundry - Hoddinott & Sons trading from 4th May 1891. Several reported accidents and mis-treatment to animals in local press. In 1894 a Miss Holliday brought in from London, was made manager.
Medical and Scientific
Built for 1914-1918 war, a lot was demolished and sold off in 1931. The rest of site was first used by the Pioneer Corps during WWII, then as a pow camp housing first Cypriots then Germans. Taken over by Plessey's after the war some of the buildings still remain, making up Kembry Park Trading Estate. Stratton Powder Works
Retail Shops, Butchers and Food Outlets
Basil Gore was the local butcher in Beechcroft Road
Fast Food and Takeaways
Beechcroft Road - fish & chip shop next door to Gore's butchers
Newsagents and Tobacconists
Richardson & Rabbetts at Beechcroft was the well known local Newsagents, and tobacconist’s store, today occupied by a Hardware store
Stores & Supermarkets
Blues Ivory Coaches
Non Conformity and Other Places of Worship
To learn more about other places of worship in Stratton St. Margaret please read the attached document
Beechcroft Road Methodist Church
Lower Stratton Primitive Methodist Church
For further information about the Lower Stratton Methodist Church please visit their website
St. Barnabas - Gorse Hill
Please refer to the separate tab for Gorse Hill
St. Philip the Deacon - Upper Stratton
Please refer to the Upper Stratton Page
Stratton Green Baptist Church
|History of Stratton Green Baptist Church 1751-2014||Stratton Green Baptist Church Service Notice 1948||Stratton Green Baptist Church Closure Order of Service 2014|
|Stratton Green Baptist Church Closes 2014|
People and Parish Notables
Associations, Clubs and Organisations
Stratton St. Margaret has in the past and still is a very community minded parish. There are many clubs, societies and community groups to suit all ages and caters for all kinds of leisure interests. Many of the clubs and activities available in the community today have their roots in the industry from around the area including many sports clubs. Here you may read more about these clubs and groups
Census Returns Transcripts
For strays from the the various census years please see the strays Index document found under emigration and migration. N.B. the 1911 Census includes parts of Stratton recorded in the Rodbourne Enumeration District
Divorce and Separation
Elections and Polls
|Poll Book 1705||Poll of Freeholders 1772||Poll Book 1818||Voters List 1831|
|Voters Lists Revisions 1843||Poll Book 1868||Electoral Lists Revision Court 1902|
In this section you can find items of interest about a particular family and associated links
Lifestyle Project story of Ellen Martha Olive Jane Axford born October 1909
Butler, William, of Stratton, Wilts, yeoman., & Mary King, of South Marston, Wilts ; B'dman, Roger Butler, of the same, yeoman; W. Tho. Hawes, Ann Hawes ; 9 Apr. 1689. (Banns)
Doomsday book of 1086 shows that the parish was held by Nigel, physician to William the Conqueror. For information about the Parish Notables of Stratton St. Margaret follow the link
Personal Research Items
Tuck Family Research Burial Extracts - These items were donated by Ken Tuck and contains entries that may or may not relate to the Tuck family however they have been published as such. Many references to Quaker entries may be found from across the county.
Poor Law, Charity and the Workhouse
General Poor Law Matters
Removal Orders and Settlements
Supplies and Tenders
General Workhouse Matters
Workhouse Births and Deaths
|Estate Notice of John Kemble 1840||Estate of Charles Morse 1877||Death & Estate Notice of W. H. Scott, 1954|
|Claims on the Estate of Frederick Fairclough 2014||Estate Notice of John Inman 2015|
Inquisitions Post Mortem of Lands Held
Sales of Buildings & Land for Probate Purposes
War, Conflict and Military Matters
|Servicemen & Families with the 1st Wilts. Regt. in South Africa 1911||Good Service Certificate Lionel A. H. C. Frampton 1929-1937|
|Order of Service for First Remembrance Service at the Peace Memorial 2014|
Ford Family in WWI - their story.
Acknowledgements and Contributors
Thanks to the following for supplying pictures, articles or family histories/memories.
Arkell's, Baptist Church's, BMW, Edward Browning, Margaret Brunger, Clive Carter, Stuart Dobson, Facebook-'Swindon on the Change' & 'Swindon Past & Present', Ford Family, Susan Griffiths, Hinders, Kings College, Cambridge, Kingsdown School, London Archives, Lott Family, David Macey, Network Rail, Barry Odey, Alan Pellymounter, Stratton St Margaret Parish Council, David Suchodola, Swindon Advertiser, Swindon Library, Ken Tuck, Paul Williams, and the many conversations with locals.
Buildings and Land
In the 1891 Census it shows Henry Hinder as farmer here.
Kingsdown Manor Farm
The farm covered 217 acres. There are conveyance documents dating back to 1735. A 1796 Enclosure award was granted to John Phelps & James Crowdy, this site became Kingsdown house and the farm moved to it's present location. The 1881 Census shows Samuel Coleborne as farmer and in the 1911 Kelly’s Directory Joseph Gleave Twiss is recorded as the farmer in occupation. BY 1900 a thriving brick works had been opened next to the farm. Stock was sold by Public Auction in 1947 see Sale of Stock notice under Hyde Farm. The farm is now converted to business units and several private dwellings.
Employment and Business
People and Parish Notables
Buildings and Land
People & Parish Notables
1977 - Jack Straw visits Penhill as part of Government 'Estate Action".
Buildings and Land
Bramhill Sawmill was just up Oxford Road on the site of the old brickworks, Burden & Evergreen Closes now cover this area.
People and Parish Notables