Gorsehill Forms Part of the Parish of Stratton St. Margaret
The Church of St. Barnabus
St. Barnabas Church St. Barnabas Church murals
History of Gorse Hill
Originally a small hamlet of Stratton, Gorse Hill was taken over by Swindon Council in 1891 when expansion of the area followed by the building of St Barnabus Church in Cricklade Road meaning that it became a parish in it’s own right. The first streets to be built were Avening, Chapel, Hinton, and Bright Street. December 1912 saw the opening of the Cinema. December 1929 saw the opening of a new Police Station in Gorse Hill. During the war Kembrey Street was bombed and several people killed, Italian prisoners of war were kept in some of the buildings of Kembrey Estate.
Buildings and Land
Electra Palace Knocked down in 1990's and replaced with Thomas Edward Coard Building
2017 - 4 New houses built behind Majestic Wine in Caulfield Road.
Property for Let
Property for Sale
Read more about the Public Houses of Gorsehill by following the link
Carpenter’s Arms, (now renamed the Swiss Chalet)
Originally opened as an Off-licence in 1874 and was run by a local carpenter named William Penny.
The pub was demolished in 1964 due to a road widening scheme and was rebuilt a short distance away in Chapel Street. It has since been renamed the Swiss Chalet because of it’s distinctive architectural style.
Duke of Edinburgh
1868 Poll Book shows Henry Wright as owner.
Crime & Legal Matters
Employment and Business
The original Swindon Gasworks was on Gypsy Lane, housed behind a high brick wall, it was eventually closed completely when Natural Gas was rolled out across the country in the 1970's.
1955 saw the first laundrette in Swindon area.
New Swindon Industrial Co-op Society
Known then primarily as a manufacturer of radio components, opened its factory in Kembrey Street, Gorse Hill, in 1940.
Non Conformity and Other Places of Worship
Salvation Army Citadel
The Citadel is located in Chapel Street. Has been rebuilt after a fire.
13 January 2002: Swindon’s Sikh community opened its first purpose-built temple in Kembrey Street, called the Shri Guru Nanak Gudawara. It replaced much smaller premises in North Street that it had taken over from the Salvation Army in 1972.
People and Parish Notables
For entries in the 1868 Poll Book please refer to the main Stratton St. Margaret Page