Text Size
Tuesday, 07 February 2012 06:19

Berwick St. John - OPC Vacancy

Written by 
Rate this item
(6 votes)
Berwick - St John Berwick - St John Courtesy of Les Dodd

Berwick St. John Photo Gallery

Contiguous Parishes (our neighbours)

Alvediston - Ansty - Donhead St. Andrew - Donhead St. Mary - Ebbesbourne Wake - Handley (DOR) - Tollard Royal

 

Websites

University of Leicester's - Website for historical Wiltshire directories
GenUKI - For information on Berwick St. John
Berwick St. John streetmap
Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre - The Wiltshire County Archives for all historical documents and the place to obtain original copies
Wiltshire Community History - Historical information for parishes within the Wiltshire County jurisdiction.
Register of One-Place Studies - Berwick St. John Entry

 

The Parish Church of St. John

There was a church at Berwick St. John in or before the early thirteenth century. The Earls of Pembroke held patronage soon after the Reformation, with it passing to New College, Oxford, in the mid-eighteenth century. In line with general mid-Victorian enthusiasm for church building and restoration, by 1861 the church had been enlarged and, in the process, almost completely rebuilt and refurnished. Among the most interesting artefacts in the church are the two effigies of knights in the north and south transepts.

Barwick St. John Protestation Return 1641-1642

Monumental Inscriptions taken by Reverend Goodchild in 1920, are available as look-ups by following this link:  Berwick St. John MI's

Parish Register Transcripts

Baptisms

1560-1699          1700-1799           1800-1885

 

Marriages

1709-1895  

Burials

1560-1699           1700-1799          1800-1837

The parish records above may contain gaps in the date ranges

Parish Registers held at WSHC

Baptisms 1560-1893
Marriages 1559-2003
Burials 1560-1965

Resources

 

Parish History

The parish includes Rushmore Lodge

Within the Chalke Hundred of Wiltshire, about thirteen miles west of Salisbury and some six miles east of Shaftesbury, the parish of Berwick St John settles between the chalk downs at the head of the Ebble Valley. To the north White Sheet Hill marks the steep descent down from the pre-turnpike route running westwards along the downs from Salisbury, while to the south the village of Tollard Royal sits on the border with neighbouring Dorset at the northern margins of Cranborne Chase. In earlier times the shape of the parish of Berwick St John resembled an inverted 'U', where once a wide tongue of land - actually a detached part of Donhead St Andrew, known as Easton Bassett - reached into the very centre of the village from the south. Less than a mile immediately south east of Berwick St John is the early Iron Age hill fort of Winkelbury Hill, or Vespasian's Camp. About a mile due west from the village is Ferne, once the seat of the Grove family. On the downs, immediately south from Ferne, there is the fantastic viewpoint of Win Green.

Books

The Biography of a Country Church, Berwick St John, by Hazel Giffard, 1999, Winkelbury Publications, Berwick St John. ISBN: 0 9535893 0 7 (this may also be available from the church)
Victoria County History of Wiltshire, Volume 13, D. A. Crowley (Ed), 1987

Civil Registration

1837 - April 1936 Tisbury Registration District
April 1936 - January 1978 Mere Registration District
January 1978 - Present Salisbury Registration District

Appointment of a New Registrar 1913

 

Buildings and Land

 

Crime and Legal Matters

Bastardy Examinations 1850-1860                 Crime News 1850-1899                Crime News 1900-1949                 Theft of Rings 1931

 

Directories

Post Office 1855          Post Office 1875          Kellys 1915

 

Education

 

Emigration and Migration

Strays Index

 

Employment and Business

Agriculture and Land

Game Licenses 1834          Game Licenses 1846 

Apprentices     

Apprentice records published here may not necessarily mean that the apprentice was from the parish but was apprenticed to a master within the parish.

Roger Best 1724

Communications

British Postal Service Appointments 1737-1969          

 

Miscellaneous Documents

 

Non Conformity and Other Places of Worship

Baptist Chapel

 

People and Parish Notables

Associations, Clubs, Organisations and Societies

Wiltshire Friendly Society Membership 1837-1871

Bankruptcy

Bankruptcy Notices 1700-1899    

Elections, Polls and Taxes       

Poll of Freeholders 1772               Voters List 1832                  Poll Book 1865            MP Nominations 2015

Family Notices

1750-1799                1800-1849              1850-1899                               

General Items

The Diaries of Charlotte Grove

Those researching families in Berwick St John, the Donheads and other surrounding parishes may be interested to learn about The Diaries of Charlotte Grove. Charlotte (1783-1860), the daughter of Thomas Grove of Ferne, married the rector of Berwick St John, Richard Downes. Her surviving diaries, within the period 1811-1858, include entries mentioning a great many parishioners and other individuals from every section of society - lords and ladies, clergymen, tenant farmers, shopkeepers, tradesmen, agricultural labourers and paupers. Further details can be found here

My personal interest in Berwick St. John

Former OPC John Lane says:- My 3xG grandfather, John LANE (1769-1840), was tenant farmer of Lower Bridmore Farm. He married Mansel MOORE of Fontmell Magna in 1805. They had eight children, including Mansel Moore (1806-1861) who married James BRINE, first cousin of his more famous namesake, the Tolpuddle Martyr; John (1807-1873) who became a successful London brewer; Stafford Moore (1814-1868) who became Farm Bailiff at Spye Park; James (1826-1863), my 2xG grandfather, who married Dionisia FUTCHER of Fovant. Among other names associated with the family are: ATKINS, BARNES, CHAMEN, FOOT and MITCHELL.

Inquests

Anne Staples 1872

Taxes

Falstone Day Book 1645-1653              

 

Poor Law, Charity and The Workhouse

 

Probate

 

War, Conflict and Military Matters

War Memorial & Military Gallery

Why the Poppy Casualties of WWI Named in the Diocese of Salisbury Memorial Book St. John Church Roll of Honour Plaque 1914-1918
Bell Ringers Memorial Book Extract held in St. Paul's Cathedral Library, London
Read 9503 times Last modified on Monday, 23 October 2017 22:42

Add comment

Please be aware that comments are not checked daily, if you have a question it is better to contact the volunteer directly. However if you just wish to show appreciation or remark upon the page please feel free to do that here.


Security code
Refresh