Text Size
Tuesday, 07 February 2012 16:55

Bromham with Sandy Lane - OPC Vacancy

Written by 
Rate this item
(14 votes)
Bromham St Nicholas Bromham St Nicholas
Sandy Lane - St Nicholas Sandy Lane - St Nicholas

Bromham Photo Gallery

Contiguous Parishes (our neighbours)

Bishops Cannings - Calne - Chittoe - Heddington - Melksham - Rowde

 

Websites

Duncan and Mandy Ball's - Website for images of St Nicholas Church
Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre - The Wiltshire County Archives for all historical documents and the place to obtain original copies
Wiltshire Community History - Historical information for parishes within the Wiltshire County jurisdiction.

 

The Parish Church of St. Nicholas

(Broom enclosure) is a charming village on the edge of a wooded valley, containing several interesting half-timbered houses and the Baynton alms-houses dating from 1612. The church (St. Nicholas) is a fine Perpendicular Building with nave, chancel, S. Aisle, and central tower with octagonal spire, 110 ft. in height. The nave was Norm., and there are traces of small windows of the period in the N. wall. The chancel was rebuilt in 1865 in its original Early English style. It retains a squint and a credence with trefoil-headed arch. The exceedingly interesting chancel aisle, the Bayton or Beauchamp Chapel, was built by Richard Beauchamp, second baron St. Amand, who died in 1508. He founded therein a chantry, dedicated to Our Lady of St. Nicholas, much ornamental both inside and out, the flat panelled ceiling being divided onto compartments, gilt and highly decorated , while the exterior has an embattled parapet with pinnacles and panelling. In the centre of the E. wall above the roof is a canopied niche, and inside is another against the same wall. In the centre of the chapel is an altar-tomb of Purbeck marble, with a well preserved recumbent effigy, in full armour, of Sir Roger Tocotes or Touchet (ob. 1457). There is a canopied tomb to his wife Elizabeth, and a brass effigy of a kneeling figure in the costume of the time. On the floor is a brass effigy of John Baynton (1516) and against the S. wall is a canopied tomb to Sir Edward Baynton (ob. 1578) with brass effigies of his two wives and children, represented kneeling. There are various other tombs and memorials of the Beauchamp, Baynton, and Starky families. Two lofty Perpendicular arches communicate with the chancel , and another with the S. aisle, which has a flat stone groined roof with a large central pendant. [source: The Little Guides, Methuen 1949]

St. Nicholas is cruciform with a central tower and spire.   Its great glory is the south chapel; a licence was granted in 1492 thus making it one of the last achievements of the High Gothic style.  Very wide windows line its south side between the pinnacled buttresses; the whole chapel is crowned by an elaborate battlemented parapet.  Within are some fine 15th century and 16th century tombs.

St. Nicholas Church Gallery               Inside St. Nicholas Church               St. Nicholas Churchyard

Church Matters 1800-1849

Memorials in St. Nicholas Church

Hughes Memorial 1640-1648

Parish Register Transcripts

Baptisms                                                                                                                       
1550-1599 1600-1624  1625-1649 1650-1674 1675-1699  1700-1724 1725-1749  1750-1774  1775-1799
1800-1824 1825-1849 1850-1874 1875-1901           

Parish Registers held at WSHC

Baptisms 1566-1987
Marriages 1560-1989
Burials 1560-1865

 

Parish History

Includes the district of Chittoe Heath.  However, Chittoe was a detached portion of the Bishop's Cannings parish and became a parish in its own right in 1867.

Civil Registration

1837 - Present Devizes Registration District

 

Buildings and Land

Owners of Land 1873

Agriculture

Cattle Plague Regulations 1867         

Maps

Ordnance Surveyor's Drawings 1808-1811

Public Houses

New Licensee for the Shoulder of Mutton Inn 1870

 

Crime and Legal Matters

Bastardy Examinations Crime Reports 1800-1849 Inmates of Gloucester Gaol 1815-1879
Old Man Assaulted and Robbed 1831 Stealing Potatoes 1867 Alleged Breach of Covenant 1915
Devizes Bank Theft 1922 Fraud Across Wiltshire 1923   

 

Directories

Post Office 1855               Post Office 1875               Kellys 1915

 

Education

National and British Schools were established here

 

Emigration and Migration

Strays Index                 Emigration Home Contact Requested 1800 - Present

 

Employment and Business

Agriculture and Land

Aspects of the Life of the Wiltshire Agricultural Labourer c1850                 Horse Sale at the Repository, Salisbury 1858

Apprentices

Apprentice records published here may not necessarily mean that the apprentice was from the parish but was apprenticed to a master within the parish.

Joel Bayly 1719

Wiltshire Society Apprentices
Richard Davis 1839 Richard Davis 1841 Henry Fennell 1843
James Tiley 1844 George White 1844 Mark White 1853
William Weston 1859 John Thomas Mulcock 1870 Henry Hughes 1877
Henry Richardson 1913 William Charles Richardson 1915  

 

Miscellaneous Documents

 

Non Conformity and Other Places of Worship

Baptist Chapel
Methodist Chapel
Mission Room
Primitive Methodist Chapel
Quaker Meeting Room
Netherstreet Methodist Chapel

 

People and Parish Notables

Associations, Clubs, Organisations and Sports

Wiltshire Friendly Society Membership 1837-1871             Nominations for District Ranger of the Ancient Order of Foresters 1930

Census Return Transcripts

1831           1851           1861

Coroners Bills

County coroners were introduced in England in around 1194 once established other boroughs and liberties sought the right to have their own coroner.  Often in Medieval times the coroner also assumed the role of the sheriff and his duties weren't limited to holding inquests on dead bodies although almost a full time post they were unpaid for the duties apart from those that were deemed murder of manslaughter when they would receive 13s. 4d.   From the 24th June 1752 a law was passed allowing the coroner to claim £1 for every inquest they attended not held in a gaol and also to claim 9d per mile travel allowance from the place of residence.  Inquests held in any gaol were performed at a rate totalling no more than £1.  These costs were to be paid from the county rates.  In cases of homicide the coroner also received the former fee of 13s. 4d.  The coroners submitted their bills at the quarter session sittings for approval.  Coroners Bills 1752-1796

Elections and Polls

Poll of Freeholders 1772             Voters List 1832                   Voters Lists Revisions 1843                MP Nominations 2015

Entertainment

Hunt Ball 1929

Family Notices

1800-1849                1850-1899                1900-1949

Parish Notables

John Collinson - Antiquarian Thomas Moore - Poet, 1779-1852 Dr. Henry Season - Writer
George Webb - Bishop of Lincoln    

Personal Research Items

Tuck Family Research Burial Extracts - This item was donated by Ken Tuck and contains entries that may or may not relate to the Tuck family however they have been published as such.  Many refer to Quaker burials found across the county

Sport

Cricket Match Yew Tree CC v Spye Park CC 1890               

Suicides

Suicide on Railway Line 1928

Taxes

Tax List 1332 (Liberty)             Falstone Day Book 1645-1653      

       

Poor Law, Charity and the Workhouse

Poor Law Union Bread & Flour Contract 1838

 

Probate

National Probate Index 1858-1966

Inquisitions Post Mortem of Lands held

Michael Drewe 1633              Samuel Webbe 1639              Ferdinand Hughes 1641

 

War, Conflict and Military Matters

War Memorial & Military Gallery

Why the Poppy          Chelsea Pensioners 1808-1828          Servicemen & Families with the 1st Wilts. Regt. in South Africa 1911          Bromham War Memorial          Poppies Planted For First World War Anniversary 2014    

WWI

Bell Ringers Memorial Book in St. Paul's Cathedral 1914-1918 Diocese of Salisbury Memorial Book 1914-1918 Roll of Honour Plaque 1914-1918
Military Service Tribunals WWI Soldiers Who Died in WWI Named in Calne & District Casualty Lists Sacrifices for the War 1916
British Red Cross/V.A.D. Volunteers

Ethel Davis 1916-1918                  Mabel Davis 1916                 Mary Davis 1916-1919          Alethea Hamsworth 1916-1919          Bessie Hunt 1916-1919 

WWII

Roll of Honour Inscriptions 1939-1945  

 

 

Sandy Lane

Sandy Lane

Sandy Lane Photo Gallery

Crime and Legal Matters

Crime Reports 1700-1799

 

People and Parish Notables

Family Notices

1850-1899

 

War, Conflict and Military Matters

Calne & District Casualty Lists 1914-1918                 British Red Cross/V. A. D. Volunteer Mary Duck 1916-1919

 

Read 8324 times Last modified on Saturday, 23 September 2017 11:38

Add comment

Please be aware that comments are not checked daily, if you have a question it is better to contact the volunteer directly. However if you just wish to show appreciation or remark upon the page please feel free to do that here.


Security code
Refresh