Contiguous Parishes (our neighbours)
Bremhill - Dauntsey - Lyneham - Seagry - Sutton Benger
GenUKI - For information on Christian Malford
Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre - The Wiltshire County Archives for all historical documents and the place to obtain original copies
Wiltshire Community History - Historical information for parishes within the Wiltshire County jurisdiction.
University of Leicester's - Website for historical Wiltshire directories
Christian Malford - Village Website
Register of One-Place Studies - Christian Malford Entry
The Parish Church of St. Michael and All Saints
The Parish Church was built in the 13th Century; c.1243. It provides a focal point in the local countryside due to its large tower which can be seen clearly. It was built through the efforts of the villagers who, along with the first Rector Robert Bremleigh, raised funds for its construction. To this day it still plays a prominent part in the local community, with services every week and its location at the heart of the village.
The Church has seen extensions and restoration over its 800 year history, most notably in the 14th Century and the 18th Century. It has been awarded Grade I Listed status (this means it is considered a building of exceptional interest.) It also played its part in the war effort. In World War II it was used by The Home Guard as a look out due to the large tower and its vantage point over the River Avon.
Parish Register Transcripts
Parish Registers held at WSHC
BTs 1847-1860 held at Bristol Record Office
The parish includes the tythings of Avon and Lye.
1837 - Present - Chippenham Registration District
Buildings and Land
|Notice of Intended Construction of the Wilts & Berks Canal 1793||Land and Buildings to Let 1817||Calne, Hilmarton & Lyneham Turnpike Roads 1847|
|Owners of Land 1873|
Crime and Legal Matters
A National School for both boys and girls was established here
Emigration and Migration
Published in tables from the Poor Law Commissioners Annual Reports for 1835, 1836 and 1847-1848 the following may be of use for tracing missing ancestors. 9 paupers emigrated to South Australia under an assisted emigration programme in 1844.
Employment and Business
Agriculture and Land
Apprentice records published here may not necessarily mean that the apprentice was from the parish but was apprenticed to a master within the parish.
Wiltshire Society Apprentices
Non Conformity and Other Places of Worship
United Reformed Church
People and Parish Notables
Associations, Clubs, Organisations, Societies and Sports
County coroners were introduced in England in around 1194 once established other boroughs and liberties sought the right to have their own coroner. Often in Medieval times the coroner also assumed the role of the sheriff and his duties weren't limited to holding inquests on dead bodies although almost a full time post they were unpaid for the duties apart from those that were deemed murder or manslaughter when they would receive 13s. 4d. From the 24th June 1752 a law was passed allowing the coroner to claim £1 for every inquest they attended not held in a gaol and also to claim 9d per mile travel allowance from the place of residence. Inquests held in any gaol were performed at a rate totalling no more than £1. These costs were to be paid from the county rates. In cases of homicide the coroner also received the former fee of 13s. 4d. The coroners submitted their bills at the quarter session sittings for approval. Coroners Bills 1752-1796
Elections and Polls
Personal Research Items
Tuck Family Research Burial Extracts - This item was donated by Ken Tuck and contains entries that may or may not relate to the Tuck family however they have been published as such. Many refer to Quaker burials found across the county
Poor Law, Charity and the Workhouse
Inquisitions Post Mortem of Lands Held
War, Conflict and Military Matters
|Muster Roll 1539||WWI Military Service Exemption Tribunals||Soldiers Who Died in WWI Named in Calne & District Casualty Lists|
|Casualty Biographies WWI||Casualty Biographies WWII||Roll of Honour Plaque|
|Christian Malford War Memorial|