Text Size
Tuesday, 07 February 2012 04:29

Chute with Chute Forest - OPC Vacancy

Written by 
Rate this item
(18 votes)
St. Nicholas St. Nicholas

Upper Chute Gallery          Lower Chute Gallery          Chute Standen Gallery

Contiguous Parishes

Collingbourne Kingston - Great Bedwyn - Hurstbourne Tarrant (HAM) - Ludgershall - Tangley (HAM) - Tidcombe with Hippenscombe

 

Web Sites

Register of One-Place Studies - Chute Entry

 

The Parish Church of St. Nicholas

Rebuilt between 1869 and 1872, the church is of red brick with stone facings; inside is a chancel, nave, small south transept, a wagon roof and a south western tower with a spire.  The Norman font from a previous church on the same site is still in use.  Just inside the churchyard gate is a hand pump and stone bowl installed in the Victorian era for the use of poor parishioners.  The main benefactor of St. Nicholas was Thomas Fowle who also financed the building of St. Mary's in neighbouring Chute Forest.  The eminent Victorian architect John Loughborough Pearson was employed on both churches so it is no surprise that they are of similar design.           Chute with Chute Forest are in the Savernake Team Ministry together with ten other parishes in north east Wiltshire - Burbage, Collingbourne Ducis & Everleigh, Collingbourne Kingston, East Grafton, Great Bedwyn, Little Bedwyn, Ham & Buttermere, Savernake Forest, Shalbourne and Tidcombe & Fosbury.  The church is normally open to visitors during daylight hours.      St. Nicholas Church Gallery             

Incumbents List          Ecclesiastical Intelligence

Parish Register Transcripts

Marriages

1582-1599           1600-1699           1700-1799            1800-1837

Registers held at WSHC

Baptisms 1871-1950
Marriages 1877-1947
Burials 1875-1971

 

Parish History

Chute and Chute Forest are two separate neighbouring parishes on the eastern border of the county where Wiltshire meets Hampshire. They have been joined ecclesiastically since 1954.

The parish of Chute is made up of the hamlets of Upper Chute, Lower Chute, Chute Cadley and Chute Standen; the latter two are isolated and have no more than about a dozen dwellings between them.  Upper Chute is the largest of the hamlets and offers spectacular views across the Wiltshire countryside.

Civil Registration

July 1837 - 31st March 1880 - Andover Registration District
1st April 1880 - 31st April 1936 - Pewsey Registration District
1st May 1936 - Present - Devizes Registration District

Newspaper Articles

Newspapers are a treasure trove of information for family history researchers and social historians. You may find your ancestors mentioned in the court columns either as the perpetrator or victim of crime - alcohol related offences, poaching and theft were the most common misdemeanours in the courts in the 19th century. 

Primarily, the articles shown below are those that contain names of parishioners to assist family history researchers however, these articles should not be presumed to be all that appear in the given years, or that there are no articles in the years omitted.  Articles relating to the parishes of Chute and Chute Forest have been placed here together.          

1700-1799             1800-1849             1850-1869             1870-1899  

Parish Location

Hurstbourne Tarrant, Upton, Clanville, Tangley, Vernham Dean (Hampshire) and Ludgershall (Wiltshire) are all within 3 miles of Chute and Chute Forest.  The nearest towns are Andover (Hampshire) 7 miles and Marlborough (Wiltshire) 17 miles

 

Buildings and Land

Archaeology

Iron Age Treasure Trove 1927

Fires

Fires in the Parish 1800-1899                  Disastrous Fires at Chute 1868

Landowners

Owners of Land 1873

Maps

Ordnance Surveyor's Drawings 1808               Ordnance Surveyor's Drawings 1808-1809              Map of Chute 1841

Public Houses

Cross Keys, Upper Chute

Cross Keys Gallery          Cross Keys 1870

Hatchet Inn, Lower Chute

Gallery

 

Crime and Legal Matters

Crime Reports 1800-1849 Arson at Ludgershall 1830-1831 Executed for Arson 1835
Transported for Arson 1838 Vicar's Servant in Court 1847 Crime Reports 1850-1899
Boy Accused of Killing a Horse 1860 Stealing Oats 1864 Bakers Charged with Selling Underweight Bread 1869
Alleged Assault on a Farmer 1883    

 

Directories

Kellys 1867              Kellys 1875               Kellys 1889                Kellys 1898               Kellys 1907              Kellys 1923

 

Education

There were two schools in Chute in 1818.  From 1841 a room at Chute Standen was used partly for a school affiliated to the National Society.  A new school, built between Chute and Chute Standen in 1858, was attended by pupils from Chute, its hamlets, and Chute Forest.  The school closed in 1978.

 

Emigration and Migration

 

Employment and Business

Gamekeepers Certificates 1807              Gamekeepers Certificates 1834   

Apprentices

Mary Piper 1720                        

Wiltshire Society Apprentices 

Frederick William Cook 1874                 Elizabeth Catherine Mott 1875

Postal Services

British Postal Services Appointments 1737-1969     

     

Non Conformity and Other Places of Worship

 

People and Parish Notables

Associations, Clubs, Organisations and Societies

Wiltshire Friendly Society Membership 1827-1871

Accidents

Boy Loses an Ear 1868 

Census Returns Transcripts

1841           1851           1861          1871           1881          1891           1901          1911 

Coroner Bills

County coroners were introduced in England in around 1194 once established other boroughs and liberties sought the right to have their own coroner.  Often in Medieval times the coroner also assumed the role of the sheriff and his duties weren't limited to holding inquests on dead bodies although almost a full time post they were unpaid for the duties apart from those that were deemed murder or manslaughter when they would receive 13s. 4d.   From the 24th June 1752 a law was passed allowing the coroner to claim £1 for every inquest they attended not held in a gaol and also to claim 9d per mile travel allowance from the place of residence.  Inquests held in any gaol were performed at a rate totalling no more than £1.  These costs were to be paid from the county rates.  In cases of homicide the coroner also received the former fee of 13s. 4d.  The coroners submitted their bills at the quarter session sittings for approval.  Coroners Bills 1752-1796

Elections and Polls

Poll of Freeholders 1772                Poll Book 1865                 Electoral Register 1939                MP Nominations 2015

Family Notices

1800-1849

Inquest Reports

Thomas Hendy 1838              William Webb 1894                 Inquest Reports 1850-1899                Unknown Man 1850                

Parish Notables

Anthony Andrews - Actor, best known for his role in TV's Brideshead Revisited, lives at Chute Standen
Viscount David Eccles - Education Minister in three Conservative governments, lived at Dean Farm Upper Chute  
Lord Ernest Rutherford - Nobel Prize winner for Chemistry in 1908, lived in Upper Chute between the wars
Lord Charles Wellesley - The youngest son of the (Iron) Duke of Wellington, lived at Conholt Park, a large estate in Chute

Taxes

Falstone Day Book 1645-1653           

 

Poor Law, Charity and The Workhouse

 

Probate

Inquisitions Post Mortem of Lands Held

Joan Noyes 1623

Parishioners Wills

Edward Hapgood Proved 1652

 

War, Conflict and Military Matters

War Memorials & Military Gallery

Situated in Upper Chute, the war memorial commemorates casualties from WWI and WWII from both parishes.          

Why the Poppy Attestations - (with Chute Forest) Diocese of Salisbury Memorial Book 1914-1918
WWI Casualties - (with Chute Forest) WWII Casualties - (with Chute Forest)  

 

Chute Forest

The Parish Church of St. Mary

St. Mary's is a beautiful church built in 1872 of flint and red brick.  It has a square tower with a striking shingled pyramid spire.  Inside, the roof is of trussed timber divided into bays by brick arches; the nave and low narrow aisles have transverse red brick arches; the vestry has a wagon roof.  The six bells from St. Mary's were re-hung at St. Nicholas' church in Chute in 1976.               

The benefactor of St Mary's was the same Thomas Fowle who also financed much of the rebuilding of St. Nicholas' church in neighbouring Chute.  Speculation has abounded over the years as to why he financed 2 churches in 2 years just 2 miles apart.  One theory is that he had seriously fallen out with the first incumbent of St. Nicholas in Chute and so built another church of similar design even closer to his own home in Chute Forest.

St. Mary's closed in 1972 and is under the care of the Churches Conservation Trust, the national charity protecting historic churches at risk.  The church remains consecrated and one service is held annually.  St. Mary's is only accessible on foot along an uneven farm track running the full length of a field; everyone is welcome to visit.    St. Mary Church Gallery       

Churches Conservation Trust              Ecclesiastical Intelligence 

 

Parish History

This tiny parish, owned by the Crown until the late 17th Century, is made up almost entirely of woodland.  In 1801 the population was 88, in 2001 it was 147. 

There are no major roads across the forest, most are very narrow or one track. The 'village' is isolated and comprises about half a dozen farm houses and a dozen residential houses which are clustered close to Chute Lodge, a large palladian style mansion sitting in 300 acres of parkland and forest.   A mansion house called Chute Lodge is known to have existed in 1652 and included a consecrated chapel.     

A new Lodge was built in 1778 by John Freeman, who made his fortune through the West Indian sugar trade.  During the 19th Century, the Lodge was the home of Thomas Fowle and his descendants.  In the early 1940's it was used as a borstal and a school; it is now a residential property again.  

Chute is an old English word for forest

Chute Forest belonged to the Lords Arundell of Wardour from 1691 until 1778

Chute Causeway is a section of an old Roman road running along the border between Wiltshire and Hampshire

Chute Forest                Map of Chute Forest 1839               Sale at Chute Lodge 1866               Chute Lodge 1920          

Legend

In 1665, during the reign of King Charles II, the bubonic plague struck the neighbouring village of Vernham on the edge of Chute Causeway.  The Rector of Vernham persuaded all villagers who had been in contact with the disease to move to an isolated camp at the top of a hillside on the Causeway.  He promised he would take them regular supplies of food. This he did for a while, but became so frightened of catching the plague himself, that he deserted his flock.  Those poor souls who did not die of the plague, starved to death.  The Rector himself caught the disease and died.  His grief stricken ghost is said to be seen climbing the hillside of Chute Causeway on clear nights, crying out to his parishioners for forgiveness.

 

Directories

Kellys 1898               Kellys 1907               Kellys 1923     

 

People and Parish Notables

Census Returns Transcripts

1841          1851         1861           1871          1881          1891          1901          1911

Coroner Bills

County coroners were introduced in England in around 1194 once established other boroughs and liberties sought the right to have their own coroner.  Often in Medieval times the coroner also assumed the role of the sheriff and his duties weren't limited to holding inquests on dead bodies although almost a full time post they were unpaid for the duties apart from those that were deemed murder or manslaughter when they would receive 13s. 4d.   From the 24th June 1752 a law was passed allowing the coroner to claim £1 for every inquest they attended not held in a gaol and also to claim 9d per mile travel allowance from the place of residence.  Inquests held in any gaol were performed at a rate totalling no more than £1.  These costs were to be paid from the county rates.  In cases of homicide the coroner also received the former fee of 13s. 4d.  The coroners submitted their bills at the quarter session sittings for approval.  Coroners Bills 1752-1796

Elections and Polls

Poll Book 1865              Electoral Register 1939

Taxes

Falstone Day Book 1645-1653             

 

Read 11452 times Last modified on Saturday, 30 December 2017 22:18

Add comment

Please be aware that comments are not checked daily, if you have a question it is better to contact the volunteer directly. However if you just wish to show appreciation or remark upon the page please feel free to do that here.


Security code
Refresh