Text Size
Thursday, 23 February 2012 04:07

Devizes - The OPC is Jo Clinton

Written by 
Rate this item
(23 votes)
Devizes - St. John Devizes - St. John
Devizes - Maryport Street Baptist Church Devizes - Maryport Street Baptist Church
Devizes - Salem Chapel Devizes - Salem Chapel
Devizes - St. Mary Independent Chapel Devizes - St. Mary Independent Chapel
Devizes - St. Andrew Devizes - St. Andrew
Devizes - Our Lady Of the Immaculate Conception Devizes - Our Lady Of the Immaculate Conception
Devizes - Sheep Street Baptist Church Devizes - Sheep Street Baptist Church
Devizes - St. Mary Devizes - St. Mary
Devizes - St. Peter Devizes - St. Peter

Devizes Photo Gallery

Contiguous Parishes (our neighbours)

Bishops Cannings - Rowde - Potterne - Poulshot - Southbroom

 

Websites

GenUKI - For information on Devizes
Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre - The Wiltshire County Archives for all historical documents and the place to obtain original copies
Wiltshire Community History - Historical information for parishes within the Wiltshire County jurisdiction.
Devizes Heritage - A vast amount of local historical information and images
Devizes Town Website - Dedicated to the history of the town
Register of One-Place Studies - Devizes Entry

 

Church Matters

Salisbury Diocesan Guild of Ringers Meeting 1915

 

Parish History

John Aubrey's North Wilts 1659

Civil Registration

1837 - Present Devizes Registration District

Manor History

It has been suggested that the name Devizes is a corruption of the Latin Ad DIVIAS - at the Division, the divisions being those of the three adjoining manors, Rowde, Cannings and Potterne, which met precisely at the point where the Castle was founded.          It is set right in the heart of Prehistoric England and as early as the 14th Century the town had become one of the principle trading centres of the West.          it is one of the oldest Boroughs in the county and, in all probability, owes its origin to the Castle built by Osmund, Bishop of Salisbury , about 1080. This castle, built of wood, was destroyed by fire in 1113 and was rebuilt in 1120 by Roger, Bishop of Salisbury, who was Chancellor and Treasurer to Henry I., and whose other castles were those of Old Sarum, Sherbourn and Malmesbury.          Henry of Huntingdon, writing of it twenty years later, describes it as "a noble castle .. of good strength and beauty .. the most splendid castle in Europe".          St. John's and St, Mary's churches were built by Bishop Roger, the former for the castle and garrison, the latter for the towns-people. Though contemporary, the plan of the two churches is distinct.          While St. Mary's from the beginning was "a ruder and simpler structure, furnished with the side aisles and adapted for a larger congregation, St. John's was evidently the object of more elabrate workmanship and of greater completeness in design". This observation applies to the two buildings only as they were left by the original architects, for both have undergone much transformation, and today the larger population is around St. John's with its new housing areas at Hillworth and Broadleas.      (source: Church booklet by The Revd. W. D. C. Williams, 1960's)

Town History

Includes the tithing of Polsham

Facts and Figures About Wiltshire 1874

Books

Chronicles of The Devizes 1839  This item has been published here with kind permission of Keith Scales

Entertainment

New Theatre, Assembly Rooms 1846

Twin Towns

Devizes Technically has no twin town - it has sextuplets.  As a commercial centre spreading its arms into the countryside around it fulfilled its tag of market town.  It has since then seen many a foreign visitor especially during the two World Wars since it was so near to many training camps and airfields for the allied and commonwealth soldiers and airmen that fought the cause so gallantly.          Therefore it is of no surprise that Devizes now extends its arms further afield to encompass friendship, trade and tourism through its twinning links with six towns throughout Europe and one in New Zealand.  The six are:- Mayenne probably the oldest of the twinned towns since Mayenne Place was built circa late 1950's early 1960's and was named after it.  Waiblingen is in Germany, Jesi is in Italy, Lesko is in Poland, Tornio is in Finland and finally Oamaru is on the North Island of New Zealand.  The latest town to be twinned with Devizes is Baja in Hungary.  To find out more about the twinning of these towns please visit the Devizes District Twinning Association               Twin Town Gallery

 

Buildings and Land                           

Agriculture 

Rare Birds Shot 1855               Cattle Plague Regulations 1867                  Crop Circle Information Centre 2014

Buildings Services

Street Watering Tender 1846

Canal

Kennet & Avon Canal Gallery 

General Items

Building & Land News 1800-1849

Indentures

Indenture for Stonyford Mill, Stanton St. Bernard 1764

Landowners

Inquisition of Lands Held 1433            Owners of Land 1873

Maps

Ordnance Surveyor's Drawings 1808-1811

Market Place

Market Place Cross Photo Gallery

Municipal Cemetery

Memorials Gallery               Devizes Cemetery Survey     

Property to be Let   

New Park Street Property to Let 1838          St. John Street Property To Let 1838           Sale of Property in New Park Street 1846          Property to Be Let or Wanted 1850-1899          Castle to Be Sold 1886

Property Sales and Auctions    

Property Sale by Auction 1794

Public Houses

Public Houses Gallery

Creditors Notice for Christian Young, Black Horse Inn 1813 Sale of the Antelope PH 1846 Sale of Contents of the Royal Oak Inn 1846
Bear Hotel Company (Limited) 1874    

Quakers Walk

Quakers Walk

Railways

Railway Gallery

Wilts., Somerset & Weymouth Railway Shareholders Meeting 1846          Great Western Railway Timetable Changes 1874

Roads and Highways

Sheppards Shord and Sand Lane Turnpike 1789           Paving and Street Lighting 1825

Crime and Legal Matters 

Agricultural

Chandler Brothers Trespass & Game Charges 1846                  Dispute as to a Rick of Hay 1890                   Damages Against Farmer's Son 1925

Animal Crime

Torturing A Horse 1874

Assaults

Captain Crowe Chastises Fellows 1869                   Assaulting A Wife 1874                   

Bastardy

Bastardy Examinations 1845-1879

Business Crime

Horse Dealers Resist Bailiff 1878              Hawking Without A License 1889

Capital Punishment

Capital Punishment in Wilshire 1800-1827

Courts

Petty Sessions 10 June 1847 Small Debt Court - Sainsbury & Saunders v Wheeler 1847 Action For Slander 1866
Borough Petty Sessions 8th July 1874 Wilts Quarter Sessions Business Meeting 1884  

Drunk and Disorderly

Disorderly & Refusing to Quit a Public House 1874                  Squabble at the Old Crown Inn 1874                   Street Fighting 1890

Fines

Fined for Toll Evasion 1846

Forgery

Charge of Uttering a Forged Cheque 1879

Fraud

Case Against Devizes Postmaster 1757

General Items

Crime Reports 1700-1799 Crime Reports 1800-1849 Magistrates Define - What is a Trap 1847
Crime Reports 1850-1899 Breach of Promise to Marry 1878 Crime Reports 1900-1949
Crime Reports 1950-1999    

Highway Robbery

Robbed of Watch on Highway 1791  

Motoring Offences

Road Rage 1928                    Motorcar Collided with Lorry 1934  

Murder

Tragic Murder Retold 2009   

Prisons and Prisoners

Allegations of Ill-Treatment & Response 1757 Inmates of Gloucester Gaol 1815-1879 Convicts sent to Prison Hulks 1823-1842
Committed to the House of Correction 1827 Eli English - A Very Bad Boy 1855-1891 Reports on the County Gaol Michaelmass 1870
Charles Neale Fools the Prison Doctors 1878 Bedford Gaol Prisoner Richard Martin 1883-1884  

Theft

Daring Robbery 1821 Extensive Theft of Corn 1827 Daring Pickpocket 1847
Embezzlement Charge 1847 Robbed By Drinking Partners 1851 Accused of Stealing Money 1860
Mystery Of Floating Cap and Trunk 1860 Bank Theft 1922  

Transportation

Transportation of Prisoners 1827                  Crime & Clemency of James Brodie 1828-1841

 

Directories

Pigots 1822               Post Office 1875

 

Education

St. Peter's CofE Primary School, Bath Road - Please see St. Peter's tab below.

 

Emigration and Migration

Strays Index                Emigration Home Contact Requested 1800 - Present               Assisted Passage to South Australia 1874

 

Employment and Business

Commercial & Industrial Gallery

Advertising

Newspaper Advertisements 1850-1899

Agriculture

Aspects of the Life of the Wiltshire Agricultural Labourer c1850

Apprentices

Apprentice records published here may not necessarily mean that the apprentice was from the parish but was apprenticed to a master within the parish.

Masters and Apprentices 1710-1760 Robert Abraham 1758 Nicholas Addee 1716 James Adlam 1712 Mary Alexander 1755
William Allexander 1722 Thomas Andrews 1753 Thomas Archard 1757 Elizabeth Ashton 1722 Amos Avery 1720
Stephen Bacon 1742 John Biffin 1723> Richard Biggs 1719    
Wiltshire Society Apprentices

Thomas Henry Bailey 1882

Aviation

Aviation Certificate - William A'Court 1931               Aviation Certificate - John Armour 1935 

Banking

Devizes Savings Bank Letter to Editor 1847

Books and Stationers

N. B. Randle Bookseller Sale List 1838                  W. B. Jones - Tarling's Metallic Ink Suppliers 1846

Communications 

British Postal Service Appointments 1737-1969

Community Services

Police

P.C. Frank Wilmot Gray 1906-1929

Metropolitan Police Pensions Records

William Amber 1867-1892                Joseph Ashley 1852-1869            

Engineering

County Surveyor Application of Henry Weaver 1858

Fashion and Materials

Cox & North Dissolve Partnership 1812                    Change of Proprietor 1846               Fashion Shop Advertisements 1846                  W & G Smith 1847

Food and Drink        

W & G Smith 1847                   William Read Business Advert 1847                    Price of Meat 1874

Brewing

Wadworths Gallery                  Wadworths Cut Horsemen's Jobs 2014

General Items

Business News 1800-1849                    Employment News 1850-1899       

Law

Articles of Clerkship Richard Crowch 1734

Markets and Fairs

St. Anne's Hill Fair 1823               Markets 1846                Markets 1847              Livestock Sales at Market 1850-1899               Markets 1850-1899                   Christmas Fare 1870

Medical

Dentistry

Dental Services 1846

Doctors, General Practitioners and Surgeons

Medical License - Marmaduke Byrd 1628                  Medical License - Joseph Needham 1701                  General Medical Council Registration 1859-1959                                

Medical Supplies and Services

J. T. Heard, Agent for Salmon, Ody & Co. Trusses 1846                                   Magnetic Electricity Therapy 1890

 

Miscellaneous Documents

Raffle of 'Brutus' 1838               

 

Non Conformity and Other Places of Worship

The Act of Toleration 1689 permitted freedom of worship to Dissenters on condition they registered their meeting places.

Meeting House Certificates 1689-1852               Temperance Lecture 1874

St. Mary's Independent Chapel (Northgate Street)

The original iron gates still exist and include the words "St Mary United Reform Church".  The first Pastor was Robert Sloper who was involved in the formation of the Chapel in 1776/77; his life and the history of the Chapel can be found by visiting  Devizes Heritage. The chapel is now  a private dwelling. 

The Independent Chapel, Northgate Street, (sometimes called St. Mary's Chapel) affords accommodation for 750 persons.  Minister Rev. William Kingsland.  Deacons Messrs. T. Baker, H. Cunningham, C. Gillman and Joseph Sloper, Jnr.. The Sunday School contains 250 children, under the instruction of 35 teachers; Superintendent Mr J. Sloper, Jnr.  Services are held on Sunday morning and evening and on Tuesday and Friday evenings.  The Chapel has recently undergone at a considerable cost an extensive series of repairs and improvements with the view of affording additional comfort and accommodation to worshippers.  [Gillman's Devizes Public Register, Business Directory & Almanac 1861.]               

St. Mary's Independent Chapel images

Baptisms 1780-1808                Burials 1780-1814

The Baptist Chapel (Maryport Street)

Baptist Chapel Gallery

History and Founding Members               Family Notices 1800-1899

New Baptist Chapel

James Biggs, a Calvinistic Baptist, who had been a member of the Back Street Baptist Chapel in Trowbridge before studying at Bristol Academy became minister of the Presbyterian chapel in Devizes. Shortly after this, seceders from the Old Baptist chapel joined the Presbyterians for worship in their Sheep Street chapel and the establishment of the New Baptist Church can be dated from the pastorate of Biggs. In 1807 the two groups agreed to take communion together and in 1820 they became the 'United Society' although their home was still called the Presbyterian chapel.          The Baptists were growing in numbers and in 1848 the two groups formally united. In 1851 it was resolved to build a new chapel as a Baptist Church and invite the Presbyterians to occupy it. The chapel was opened in 1852, in Sheep Street next to the Presbyterian chapel, with seating for 700 and a schoolroom. This was during the pastorate of Charles Stanford who drew large congregations, including wealthy townspeople. He evangelized the area, introduced cottage preaching and later became a national Baptist leader. In 1851 the average congregation was 260 but on census Sunday there were 344 in the morning and 404 in the evening. By 1852 the congregation had doubled in size.          The old meeting house was demolished and the site added to the burial ground of the chapel. In 1874 the schoolrooms were enlarged and there were restorations of the chapel in 1901, when gas lighting was introduced, and in1927, when electricity was provided. The roof was re-slated in the 1960s and there were many improvements in the 1970s. In 1978 and 1988 the Baptist Housing Association built the adjacent flats, partly on church land. In 1989 a major improvement scheme was carried out. [Wiltshire Community History website.]

New Baptist Chapel images.  There are no images for this gallery at present - if anyone has a photograph of the chapel as it once was or has a photograph of the building today that they would be willing to share with us please submit this to either the OPC or to the Administrator both may be contacted via the contact us tab at the top of the page.   Thank you.

Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception R.C. Church

There were no known Roman Catholics in Devizes before 1767 when there were three.  By 1861 there were about 20 worshipping at Chippenham. The first Mass centre in Devizes was a disused warehouse in Monday Market Street under Father Larive, a Salesian missionary. This was served from Chippenham until 1864 and in 1865 the present church was opened.  At first it was an aisleless rectangular building of five bays which was restored in 1887.  In 1909 a chancel, sacristy and bell cote were added. From 1865 the Sisters of the teaching order of St. Joseph of Annecy had a school in the church and, by 1868, in a separate schoolroom.  Their convent is close to the church.  For further information visit Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception Website                Our Lady Gallery

Marriage Report of Alfred Weston & Grace Harris 1924

Salem Baptist Chapel 1838-1895 (New Park Street)

Salem (Baptist) Chapel has sittings for 350 persons. Minister Mr T. Dangerfield. Deacons Messrs. H. Ellen, D. Wiltshire and S. Phipp. The Sunday school contains about 50 scholars with 7 teachers.   Superintendent Mr J. Stevens.  [Gillman's Devizes Public Register, Business Directory & Almanac 1861]        Salem Baptist Chapel Gallery

Sheep Street Baptist Church

Church Web Site              Sheep Street Baptist Church Gallery

Society of Friends/Quakers (Sussex Wharf)

There were Quakers in the Devizes area in the 1650s and in 1658 Samuel Noyes, their leader, was prosecuted for 'brawling in church'. A burial ground was acquired in 1665, probably in Hillworth Park, where one existed in 1759. In 1669 there was a meeting in the house of John May with attendances of 80-100 people. By 1682 John Clark's house was licensed and others followed later. In 1702 a newly erected house at 23 High Street was certified for meetings and this became the sole meeting place. Anglicans and other nonconformist denominations helped in the building of this house. During the 18th century many leading families in the town were Quakers and the meetings were also attended by non Quakers. In the 1790s there were about 30 Friends and the meeting house remained in use until 1826. The meeting then lapsed and the house was sold in 1840. The meeting revived in 1853 and the old meeting house was re-purchased in 1858, remaining in use until the 1870s. The meeting was discontinued in 1879 and the house was again sold in 1884. It was re-occupied between 1903 and 1907 by a small number of Friends.  [Source: Wiltshire Community History website]

Society of Friends Photo Gallery.     There are currently no images for this gallery if anyone has a photograph of how the building looked originally or has an image of the building as it is today we would love to have a copy.  You may submit these to the OPC or to the Administrator.  Thank you.

Baptisms

St. Andrew's Methodist Church (Long Street)

The evangelistic revival movement within the Anglican Church traces its roots to Reverend John Wesley.  Devizes Heritage - For the history of the Methodist church.    St. Andrew's Gallery

 

People and Parish Notables

The gallery contains images of people from the Devizes area.  If anyone has images that they would be willing to share or if  anyone can identify the images that have missing information in their tags please get in touch with the Administrator via the contact us tab at the top of the page.          Devizes People Gallery

Accidents

Coach Accident 1854                    Accidental Shooting 1859

Associations, Clubs, Organisations, and Societies

Wiltshire Friendly Society Membership 1827-1871          Labourer's Friend Society Meeting 1833          Bear Club Meeting 1835               Juvenile Provident Society Meeting 1838               Brownies Celebrate 100 Years 2014    

Ancient Order of Foresters

Ancient Order of Foresters 1800-1899                      Invitation Dinner by the Odd Fellows 1867

Bankruptcy

John Varlo Wymer 1866-1867              

Coroners Bills

Coroners Bills 1752-1796                 

Inquest Reports 1800-1899

Inquest Reports 1800-1849               Robert Nash 1827               William Bower 1846                 James Phillips 1846                Bamber Infant Twins 1855              Male Child of Ada Wells 1892       

Inquest Reports 1900-1999

Man Shot Himself 1904                   Labourer Killed by Petrol Tanker 1924                     Suicide on Railway Line 1928

Elections and Polls 

Poll of Freeholders 1772              Voters Lists Revisions 1843                 County Council Election Notice 1925                   MP Nominations 2015

Entertainment, Fairs and Fetes

Devizes Green Fair 1765                Hunt Ball 1929

Family Notices

Undefined Dates          1700-1799               1800-1849                 1850-1899                1900-1949      

Funeral Notices and Reports

Funeral Notice of James Bond 1936

Miscellaneous Items

Knights Compositions 1628                     Secrets of Farming Book Subscribers 1863

Obituaries

Alfred Waller 1896

Parish Notables

Anne Dunham, British Para-Olympian Dressage Representative born 24th September 1948 David Inshaw, Artist Sir Thomas Lawrence, Portrait Painter
Sybil Lethbridge, Author Jillie Mack, Actress born 1957 Ernest Shackleton, Explorer was resident here 1909-1910

People

Benjamin Webb, Miser Mid 1700s                   Strange But True, Ruth Pierce 1753                   William Pitt The Younger - Devizes Visit 1798                    People News Reports 1800-1849

Personal Research Items

Tuck Family Research Burial Extracts - This item was donated by Ken Tuck and contains entries that may or may not relate to the Tuck family however they have been published as such.  Many refer to Quaker burials found across the county

Thomas White Genealogy Research - This item was submitted by John Pope from personal research

Sport

Shooting Competition 1902

Taxes

Tax List 1332   

Poor Law, Charity and The Workhouse

Although the Poor Law Union was named the Devizes Poor Law Union the building was in fact in the parish of Southbroom.  Therefore any documents relating to the Union or the Workhouse will be found on the Southbroom Parish Page.  Documents relating to people from the parishes of Devizes connected to the Poor Law Union will be published here.  Prior to 1834 Inmates may well have been sent to the Workhouses at either Market Lavington or Rowde.

Workhouse Crime 1835-1850                  Charity Trustees Meeting 1838                  Poor Law Union Bread & Flour Contract 1838               Charity Trustees Meeting 1847

Probate

Probate Notice of Thomas Phillips 1766               National Probate Index 1858-1966

Inquisitions Post Mortem of Lands Held

Edward Pleydell 1633               Griffin Nicholas 1635               Michael Drewe 1633

Legacy Notices

Arthur Joseph Schomberg 1924

Parishioners Wills

John Kingsman Proved 1656 (Nuncupative) John Sainstbury, Snr. Proved 1696/97 William Neate Proved 1769
Richard Watton Proved 1772 Elizabeth Neate Proved 1817 Sarah Figgins Proved 1824
Elizabeth Dyke Proved 1836    

 

War, Conflict and Military Matters

War Memorials and Military Gallery

Why the Poppy                Chelsea Pensioners 1808-1828                 Concert in Aid of the Troops 1863                  Prisoner of War Camps 2010                              

Barracks, Billets and Buildings

Militia Stores, Hospital and a New Commission 1854                   Billeting of Soldiers 1872                  Servicemen & Families with the 1st Wilts. Regt. in South Africa 1911

Boer War

Return of the Wiltshire Regiment 1902                                                   

Medal Recipients

Victoria Cross Recipient William Henry Thomas Sylvester 1855                    Victoria Cross Recipient Maurice Albert Wyndham Rogers 1944

Military News

Military News Reports 1700-1799                 Military News 1850-1899

War Memorials and Plaques

Oddfellows Memorial WWI                 War Memorial is Listed 2013

Wiltshire Regiments and Yeomanry

Drummer Boy Volunteers for Service in Corfu 1855                  Devizes (5th Wilts.) Rifle Volunteers Annual Meeting Report 1874

WWI

Horses for the Army 1914-1918                  Saved by a Tobacco Tin 1914-1918                  Service Exemption Tribunals 1914-1918                  War Office Letter to Walter H. Long 1919                   

British Red Cross/VAD Service

British Red Cross Museum & Archives Website

V.A.D. & Red Cross Hospitals 1914-1918

Volunteers
Annie Baker 1918 Phyllis M. Bartholomew 1915-1918 Marion Bennett 1917-1918 Mabel Bird 1916-1918
Edith Blake 1918 Kate Bowsher 1916-1918 Maud Bowsher 1916-1918 George Craig Boyce 1914-1917
Ivy Buchanan 1916-1918 Rose Budd 1916-1918 Jane Cave 1917-1918  Wyndom Arthur Channing 1917-1918
Gladys Clack 1916-1918 Phyllis Clack 1918 Ethel Colman 1917-1918 Annie Dally 1916-1918
Emmie Davis 1918 S. Davis 1917-1918 Ruby Edwards 1918 Beatrice Elliott 1916-1918
Henry Fishlock 1916-1918 Margaret Giddings 1918 Robert Gilbert 1915 Bertha Goodman 1918
Bessie Griffin 1916-1918      
Casualties 

Diocese of Salisbury Memorial Book 1914-1918                 Bell Ringers Memorial Book in St. Paul's Cathedral Library WWI                  Calne & District Casualty Lists WWI   

Recruitment

Appeal from the Trenches 1914-1918                

WWII

Casualty Biographies of WWII                  Civilian Casualties 1939-1945       

     

St. John

St. John The Baptist

Websites

Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre - The Wiltshire County Archives for all historical documents and the place to obtain original copies
Wiltshire Community History - Historical information for parishes within the Wiltshire County jurisdiction.

 

The Church of St. John the Baptist

Built by Wiltshire's most prolific builder Bishop Roger of Sarum in 12th Century, the east end of the church has one of the finest examples of Norman architecture in the country.  The central tower is large, sturdy and elaborately ornamented.  In its interior, the crossing, chancel and transepts all display in their arcading and vaulting a wealth of 12th Century carved decoration.

Devizes St. John Photo Gallery          Devizes St. John Churchyard

Monumental Inscriptions Interesting Entries from the Parish Registers Rectors List 1310-1960
Church Matters 1800-1849 Embittered Letter from the Assistant Curate 1833 Monument in Memory of Drowning Victims 1851 

Parish Register Transcripts

Marriages

1559-1655         1656-1750           1750-1837         

Parish Registers held at WSHC

Baptisms 1559-1989
Marriages 1559-1987
Burials 1563-1925

 

Crime and Legal Matters

Bastardy Examinations 1845-1876

 

Employment and Business

Medical License Extract for Grave Morris 1684

 

People and Parish Notables

Family Notices 1800-1849               Voters List 1832           Family Notices 1850-1899

Census Returns Transcripts

1841         1851   

The 1841 census published here is for enumeration district 1 only which covers the area of the Market, Place, Brittox, St. John Street, Northgate Street and Caen Hill

 

Probate

Inquisitions Post Mortem of Lands Held

Michael Drewe 1633

Parishioners Wills

 

War, Conflict & Military Matters

Chelsea Pensioners 1808-1828

 

St. Mary

St. Mary

Devizes St. Mary Photo Gallery

 

The Parish Church of St. Mary

This church closed for services in 2010

Monumental Inscriptions Rectors List 1310-1960 Letter of Consternation Regarding Sts. Mary & John Churches 1847
St. Mary's Church Brochure 2014 St. Mary's Church Promotional Leaflet 2014  

Parish Registers held at WSHC

Baptisms 1569-1910
Marriages 1569-1971
Burials 1569-1936

 

Buildings and Land

Owners of Land 1873

 

Crime and Legal Matters

Bastardy Examinations 1842-1880

 

Non Conformity and Other Places of Worship

Please refer to the Main Devizes Section

 

People and Parish Notables

Coroners Bills 1752-1796               Family Notices 1800-1849             Voters List 1832             Family Notices 1850-1899

Census Returns Transcripts

1851    

Personal Research Items

White Surname Burials 1632-1833 - This item was submitted by John Pope from personal research

 

St. Peter

St. Peters Parish

The Parish Church of St. Peter

St. Peter Church Gallery

Parish Registers held at WSHC

Baptisms 1866-1981
Marriages 1868-1977
Burials None

 

Education

St. Peter's Church of England School, Bath Road

School Gallery

St. Peter's School 1870-2015

 

People and Parish Notables

Family Notices 1800-1899

 

War, Conflict and Military Matters

Military Gallery

Diocese of Salisbury Memorial Book 1914-1918          WWI War Mwmorial

 

Lydeway

Lydeway

Directories

Gillmans 1900

 

Nursteed

Nursteed

Crime and Legal Matters

Gun attack on Mr. Lyne 1830

 

Miscellaneous

Importance of Punctuality 1846

 

People and Parish Notables

Coroners Bills 1752-1796

 

War, Conflict and Military Matters

British Red Cross VAD Service Record for Lonie Burden 1917-1918

 

Read 23750 times Last modified on Monday, 24 July 2017 22:41

Add comment

Please be aware that comments are not checked daily, if you have a question it is better to contact the volunteer directly. However if you just wish to show appreciation or remark upon the page please feel free to do that here.


Security code
Refresh