Text Size
Sunday, 10 June 2012 11:47

Dinton - OPC Vacancy

Written by 
Rate this item
(33 votes)
Dinton - St. Mary the Virgin Dinton - St. Mary the Virgin

Dinton Village Gallery

Contiguous Parishes (our neighbours)

Baverstock - Compton Chamberlayne - Fovant - Steeple Langford - Teffont Evias - Teffont Magna - Wylye

 

Websites

Duncan and Mandy Ball's - Website for photographs of St Mary the Virgin
GenUKI - For information relating to Wiltshire and Dinton
University of Leicester's - Website has historical Wiltshire directories free to view
Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre - The Wiltshire County Archives for all historical documents and the place to obtain original copies 
Wiltshire Community History - Historical information for parishes within the Wiltshire County jurisdiction.
Register of One-Place Studies - Dinton Entry
Old Maps - Historical Map archive showing Dinton

 

Parish Church Of St. Mary

St. Mary the Virgin is a dignified cruciform church; the C14th chancel with its elegant windows is a particularly striking feature; it has a roof ornamented with carved bosses. Having no aisles, the nave is sombre, but has an interesting west window and an early north doorway.  Much of the building, nave, crossing, transepts, north doorway and square font of purbeck marble date from the early 13th century. The nave windows were apparently inserted in the 14th century. Later in the same century the chancel was rebuilt on a grand scale. It is of ashlar masonry externally and on both north and south sides has three uniform windows with reticulated tracery. Two of these contain original stained glass.  The large east window has interlacing tracery of the same date. The two upper stages of the tower were added, or rebuilt, together with the vault above the crossing about the middle of the 15th century. At the same time the south wall of the south transept was rebuilt, and the north wall of the north transept repaired and a new window inserted.  An octagonal stair turret in the angle between the nave and north transept is surmounted by a conical roof below the level of the belfry and is connected to the tower by a short passage. A great deal of restoration work was carried out during the later 19th century under the direction of William Butterfield, the well-known church architect. In the churchyard there are the remains of the steps and socket of a medieval stone cross. Architectural historian Pevsner describes St. Mary's as ‘A dignified church with the crossing tower as its centre, essentially Decorated, but with older and younger parts’. In the west transept are the organ and royal coat of arms of George II, dated 1740, both are memorials to the 17th century composer Henry Lawes, one of the outstanding composers and Court musicians of his day, and his brother William Lawes, a gifted musician, who were born in the village and have both been ‘Masters of the Kings Musick’ The church has a peal of 6 bells, rung from the crossing.  Numbers 1 to 5 are all of 17th-century date. Number 6, dating from about 1350, is the heaviest, weighing 16 hundredweight. The bells are regularly rung for services and weddings.

St. Mary's Church Gallery

Incumbents List 1544-1800 Appointments, Confirmations & Ordinations 1775-1886 Burial of Henry Saunders 1805
Sunday School Treat 1840 Church Collections 1849 Confirmations & Ordinations 1855-1867
Petition for Abolition Church Rates 1861 Testimonial for Rev. J. C. Stafford 1867 Election of Syndosmen 1871
Wilful Damage to Church 1872 Contribution 1874 Selection of Records held for St. Mary's 1874-1991 
Parish Church Reopened 1875 Dedication of Memorial Window to Rev. Audland 1938 
TV Role 1984 

Church Memorials

Hyde Brass Memorial 1600-1713 Roger Earth Armiger Plaque 1634
Laurence & Edward Hyde Plaque 1676
Royal Coat of Arms of George II 1727-1760 James Ashe Plaque 1728 William & Barbara Wyndham Plaque 1762 & 1786
Gulielmi Hasledine Plaque 1773 William Wyndham Plaque 1773 William & Elizabeth Wyndham Plaque 1786 & 1809
Barbara & Henrietta Wyndham Plaque 1801 & 1809 Laetitia & William Wyndham Plaque 1837 & 1841 Charlotte & Henrietta Wyndham Plaque 1859 & 1860
Thomas & William Maslen Barnes Plaque 1864 James Charles Stafford Plaque 1873 John Heslop Audland Window 1923

Parish History

Dinton is a village located on the northern bank of the River Nadder, in the south of the Wiltshire county. It is about 8 miles west of the cathedral city of Salisbury and about 5 miles west of Wilton. Dinton is about 85 miles south west of London, or about 2 hours drive from London. The population, between 1801 and 2001, has varied between about 400 to around 600 residents during that time.

Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1845 Questioning the Meaning of 'Dinton' 1858 Wiltshire Archaeological & Natural History Society 1861
Best Kept Medium Village & Wiltshire Village of the Year 2008 Best Kept Medium Village 2012 Village of the Year Prize 2013

 

Ancient Monuments

Dinton has one Ancient Monument listed - Wick Ball Camp

Books

Tales of a Carter's Daughter by Lou Winter

Population

Population Figures 1801-2011

 

Buildings and Land

Domesday Book Entry UK Land Tax Redemption 1798 Notice of Petition for Inclosure 1808
Destructive Fire 1820
Snow Storm in Spring 1839
Owners of Land 1873 Yew Tree Deadly to Beasts 1893 Building Plan Records 1935-1947 
Proposed Transfer of Salisbury Museum 1949

              

Agriculture

Cattle Plague Regulations 1867                  Foot & Mouth Disease 1870        

Listed Buildings

Grade I - Buildings of outstanding architectural or historic interest:

Hydes House & Walls & Gatepiers                   St. Mary the Virgin

Grade II* - Buildings are particularly important and of more than special interest:

Little Clarendon                 Philipps House           

Grade II - Buildings are nationally important and of special interest:
Cottages Opposite Manor Farm (two) Croome Monument in Churchyard Dalwood Farmhouse
Dinton Lodge (including Front Garden Area Railings) Dinton Mill Cottage, The Mill Dovecote at Hyde's House 
Fitz's Farmhouse Fitz Monument in Churchyard
Hayter & Macey Monuments in Churchyard 
Jesses (and Barn and Sheltershed) Lawes Cottage Lodge
Manor Farmhouse (and Dovecote at Manor Farm) Marshwood House Milestone near Junction of Baverstock Lane 
Milestone about 50 metres west of Dinton First School Old Schoolroom  Pound Cottage 
Speargate Unidentified Monument in Churchyard   Wheatsheaf Cottage 

National Trust Properties

Dinton has 5 properties that are owned and conserved by the National Trust:

Dinton Lodge

Is located opposite St. Mary's Church. "Dinton Lodge is a late C19 house which appears to incorporate sections of an earlier mid C18 house. Its distinctive and rather unusual architectural detailing makes it of special historic interest and as such it is part of a valuable group of buildings and makes a significant contribution to the historic character of Dinton." (British Listed Buildings)                Dinton Lodge Gallery

Dinton Lodge 2015

Hyde's House

Formerly the Old Rectory. This was sold to Mr. Bertram E. Philipps in 1924 and was renamed Hyde's House after Edward Hyde, the first Earl of Clarendon, who was born in a house on or near to the site of the Rectory House in 1609. Hyde's House was also given to the National Trust on 4th April, 1943 by Mr. Bertram E. Philipps.          Hyde's House - Not open to the public. Hyde's House gardens - open for selected Charity days.                 Hyde's House Gallery

Tenants of the National Trust 2012

Lawes Cottage

Lawes Cottage is named after Henry Lawes (believed to be his birthplace) the well-known composer, singer and teacher of the 17th Century. He was a leading songwriter for the period of Charles I of England. Lawes Cottage adjoins the property of Little Clarendon and was included in the bequeath of Little Clarendon to the National Trust on 7th July, 1940.                    Lawes Cottage Gallery

Lawes Cottage Controversy 2005

Little Clarendon

Little Clarendon and 29 acres of land was bequeathed to the National Trust on 7th July, 1940 by the widow of (Rev) George Herbert Engleheart & his daughter, on the condition that they remain as tenants. Mrs. Engleheart & her daughter also had a condition that Little Clarendon only be rented out to practicing Roman Catholics.                  Little Clarendon - Open to public- Very Limited Times (2014 - 4 Monday's in the entire year only 2-5 pm)               Little Clarendon Gallery   

Little Clarendon - Gifts to the Nation 1940               Held in Trust for the Nation 1997

Philipps House formerly Dinton House

Formerly Dinton House. Dinton House and 200 acres of parkland was given to The National Trust on 4th April, 1943 by Mr. Bertram E. Philipps on the condition that it was renamed Philipps House. Mr. Phillips had purchased the property in 1916. The Wyndham family had lived in Dinton House since they had it built in 1816.          Philipps House - Open to public on 2 half days a week. Dinton Park - Open to public everyday.                 Philipps House Gallery

Dinton House Sketch 1826 Bertram Philipps Letters to the Newspapers 1924-1934 Open Gardens Notices 1934-1936
Dinton House Burgled 1936 Philipps House National Trust Gift 1943 Administration - Bertram Erasmus Philipps 1947
Public Mansion for Rent 1996 Pride and Pleasure 2005 National Trust Council 2010
Wyndham Residency
Wyndham Christening 1834 Mr. Wyndham - Old English Gentleman 1840 William Wyndham Elected Chairman of Warminster & South Wilts Farmers Club 1840
Obituary of William Wyndham 1841 William Wyndham, Jnr. - Magistrate 1859 Deputy Lieutenant of Wiltshire - William Wyndham 1860
Obituary of William Wyndham 1862 Will of William Wyndham 1862 Obituary of Capt. Alexander Wadham Wyndham 1869
Obituary of George Wyndham 1870    
 
 Dinton - Dalwood Letters 1827-1853

George Wyndham (1801-1870), farmer, wine-grower & pastoralist, was born at Dinton, Wiltshire, the third son of William & Laetitia Wyndham of Dinton House, Dinton, an old and prominent family. The Dinton - Dalwood Letters are a collection of letters written to George & Margaret Wyndham of "Dalwood" in the Hunter Valley, New South Wales, Australia from his parents and family back in England. The letters were donated in 1960 by Mr. Alward Wyndham. George Wyndham & his son John are responsible for the Dalwood Vineyard - the oldest continuous commercial vineyard in Australia and is now known as Wyndham Estate (Wines).

9th October 1827 23rd December 1827 9th April 1828 9th July 1828 9th March 1829 7th July 1829
15th July 1829 16th March 1830 8th September 1830 10th November 1830 14th November 1830 28th November 1830
13th January 1831  7th April 1831  8th April 1831  10th June 1831 7th July 1831 5th August 1831
31st October 1831  7th December 1831  29th June 1832  24th November 1837 30th April 1838 July 1838
18th September 1838 24th September 1838 13th May 1839 29th June 1842 22nd January 1844 18th January 1845
29th October 1845 31st May 1846 27th November 1846 29th July 1848

Spooky Tale

There once was a Benedictine "cell" in Dinton, probably between the church and the present Philipps House.     Old Mrs. M. A. Burton lived most of her life at The Kennels, a cottage on the south side of Dinton Park. For many years she worked as a maidservant for the Wyndhams at Philipps House, then called Dinton House. Mrs Burton died in the winter of 1959, at the age of 92. She several times affirmed that she had often heard singing coming from a place, which she described as "between the church and Dinton House".    Mrs. Burton was present at the burial of (Rev) Mr. Engleheart outside the private chapel at his house - Little Clarendon, Dinton. When she heard the priest chanting the funeral mass, she turned round and said to a mourner standing by "That is the music I heard within the park".  Dr. R. C. C. Clay believed that  Colonel Chettle cut a trench between Philipps (Dinton) House from the church and found some foundations and a holy water stoop (now in the private chapel at Little Clarendon).    [Story reproduced from UncannyUK with kind permission]

Railway

Dinton Railway Station was opened on 2nd May, 1859 as part of the first stage of the Salisbury to Yeovil route. Dinton Station was one of six stations that were opened between Salisbury and Gillingham in that first stage. The railway line was originally a single track & used for passenger traffic only. From 1st September, 1860 goods were also handled and work on doubling the track began in 1861 and was completed in 1870.      A railway spur line was built from Dinton station to Fovant for easier transportation to the World War 1 military camps located in at Fovant, Compton Chamberlayne & Sutton Mandeville.The spur lines was used to transport troops, wounded soldiers, equipment and supplies. It was opened on 5th March, 1915 and closed on 18th December, 1920.      Dinton Railway Station was closed to passengers on 7th March, 1966 and to general goods traffic on 18th April, 1967. The former "Up" platform remains in existence complete with the station buildings, which are now in private ownership & used as a private residence.     Read more about Dinton Railway Station                  Dinton Railway Gallery

Railway Encroachments 1854 Opening of the Salisbury and Yeovil Railway 1859 Francis Brewer - Pointsman. Neglect of Duty 1859
Pembroke Family & the Railway 1866 Railway Employees 1885-1923  

 

Public Houses

Directory of Public Houses, Inns & Taverns 1939

Penruddocke Arms

This is located half a mile outside the village between Dinton and Barford St. Martin. It was previously known as The French Horn.

Fire at the French Horn 1828

Wyndham Arms

This closed in the 1970's & was situated near the Railway Station. It is now used as a private house. This building should not be confused with the current Wyndham Arms listed below.  In 1861, an application for a licence was made for the Wyndham Arms, at the railway station, and was refused.

Wyndham Arms

This is located on Hindon Road, the main road running through Dinton. The Wyndham Arm's is a mid 1930's hostelry with a distinctive white painted frontage. In the past this has had several other names including The East End, The Swordsman, and The Waggoner's Rest

Property For Auction, Let or Sale

Jesses 1994           Converted Former Methodist Chapel 2013              Pound Cottage 2013               Sandhills House 2015           Gardeners Cottage, Snow Hill 2015

 

Crime and Legal Matters

Wilts Quarter Sessions 1661 Bastardy Records 1784-1883 Bastardy Examinations 1850-1851
Committed to Fisherton Gaol 1811-1852  Committed to Devizes House of Correction 1815-1843 Daring Robbery 1817 
Committed to Unspecified Gaol 1827-1871 Rioters 1830 Stable Property Stolen & Damaged 1835
Attacked & Robbed 1836 Beware of Scamp 1845 Policeman Stabbed 1846
Ignorance and Folly 1848 Offenders Fine in Lieu of Prison 1852-1872 Sheep Stealing 1853
Corn Dealer Summoned 1867
Selling Beer/Cider Without a License 1868-1872
Assault by Emily Dyer 1869
False Pretences & Assault 1869 Ill Treating a Donkey 1869 Breach of the Peace 1870
Stealing a Duck & Chicken 1871
Ex-Policeman Charged 1872
Proposed Alteration to Petty Sessional Areas 1883
Thomas Duke v. the Magistrates of Hindon 1883 Alleged Arson - Robert Gillett 1889 Thefts by Gypsies 1889
Driver Fined 1926 Stolen Funds - Henry Murray 1941

                                   

Directories

Post Office 1849 Post Office 1855
Post Office 1859 Harrods 1865 Kellys 1867 Post Office 1875
Kellys 1880 Kellys 1889 Kellys 1895 Kellys 1898 Kellys 1903 Kellys 1907
Kellys 1911 Kellys 1915 Kellys 1920 Kellys 1927
Kellys 1939

Education

Dinton School Gallery

Parish School Dinton 1667 Archived Records for Dinton School 1683-1870 Dinton School Newspaper Advertisements 1844-1867
Newspaper Articles Relating to  the School 1852-1857 Shaw House School, Melksham Results - J. Macey 1866-1867 Dinton School Log Book 1914

School Photos  

Can you help name the children in the photographs included in these two documents.  If so please contact the administrators from the drop down menu at the top of the page

 School Photo c1929                               School Photo c1935

 

Emigration and Migration

Parish Strays Index Free Passage to Australia Advertisements 1838 & 1848 Benjamin & Elizabeth Baker - Australia 1840
Yeates/Yates Family to Australia 1854 Rudgley Family to Australia 1865 Naturalisation Certificate 1955

Employment and Business

Agriculture & Gamekeeping

Game Lists & Game Keepers 1788-1855                   Game Licenses 1834               Making Hay in Unfavourable Weather 1883

Apprentices

UK Register of Duties Paid for Apprentices 1710-1811                 Apprenticeship Records for John Weeks the Younger 1824

Communications

Postal Telegraph Sub-office Opened 1872                  British Postal Service Appointments 1874-1898

General Items

Wiltshire Retirement Archives for Samuel Yates 1877-1879

Labourers

Wiltshire Labourers 1871

Manufacturing

Dinton Brickworks Gallery

Markets & Shows

Pitched Market Proposal 1847                Cattle & Poultry Show 1852                 Timber for Sale 1858                 Barley Sold 1870

Medicine

Holloway's Ointment & Pills - Eliza Dew 1853

 

Miscellaneous Documents

 

Non Conformity and Other Places of Worship

Protestant Non Conformity                 Roman Catholicism

Dinton Methodist Chapel

Dinton Methodist Chapel Gallery

Primitive Methodist Chapel 1895    

 

People and Parish Notables

The People of Dinton Photo Gallery

Accidents, Sudden Deaths and Suicides

Awfully Sudden Death - Edward/Edwin Douty 1856                 Accidents 1868-1871                  Accident - William Thorn & William Head 1869

Associations, Clubs, Organisations and Societies

Oddfellows' Order 1868 & 1871

Bonfire Boys 1890-2009

The earliest known record of the Dinton Bonfire Boys comes from a photograph of the Banner & participants of the Dinton Bonfire Boys with the date November 5th, 1890. Back in the Victorian era, the day was a celebration of the defeat of the Gunpowder Plot of 1605, which was a failed assassination attempt against King James 1 of England. The plot was to blow up the House of Lords during the State Opening of England's Parliament on 5th November, 1605, as a prelude to a revolt. One of the plotters was Guy Fawkes, who had 10 years military experience & he was given charge of the explosives. An anonymous letter was sent to the authorities, warning of the intended plot & during a search of the House of Lords, at about midnight on 4th November, 1605, Fawkes was discovered guarding 36 barrels of gunpowder and arrested. At the trial of eight of the conspirators, including Fawkes, on 27th January, 1606, they were convicted and sentenced to be hanged, drawn and quartered.          In January, 1606, during the first sitting of Parliament since the plot, the Observance of 5th November Act 1605 was passed, making services and sermons commemorating the event an annual feature of English life; the act remained in force until 1859. The tradition of marking the day with the ringing of church bells and bonfires started soon after the Plot's discovery, and fireworks were included in some of the earliest celebrations.          In Dinton, the celebration of the defeat of the Gunpowder Plot took the form of a procession, which gathered at the Railway Station - which was also the location of the original Wyndham Arms pub. The procession, dressed in costume (mainly clowns), would end with a bonfires and the letting off of fireworks and crackers. Money was raised during this time & donated to charity.          It remains the custom in Britain, on or around the 5th November, to let off fireworks. Traditionally in the weeks running up to the 5th, children made effigies supposedly of Fawkes (out of old clothes stuffed with newspapers) to be burnt on the November 5 bonfire.           For almost 120 years, since 1890, with a few breaks for wars and the odd year between retiring organisers and a new generation, people have been watching the fireworks displays put on by the Dinton Bonfire Boys.          In 2009, the current team of Dinton Bonfire Boys decided that the November celebration would be their last due to increasing health & safety and licensing red tape which had ended a long running tradition.

Bonfire Boys - Short History by Mike Glover Bonfire Boys by Mike Glover
Bonfire Boys - Fireworks Articles
Bonfire Boys - Newspaper Article 2007 Bonfire Boys - Say Goodbye 2009
  
British Legion

Legion Fruit, Flower & Vegetable Show 1938

Friendly Societies

Wiltshire Friendly Society Membership 1827-1871                     Wiltshire Friendly Society Anniversary Celebrations 1846

Horticulture
First Wilts Horticultural Society Meeting 1835 Bath & West of England Society - Exhibitor Joshua Yates 1866 Flower Show Finances 1936
Dinton, Baverstock and Hurdcott Horticultural Society Show 1939    

 

Bankruptcy

Bankruptcy Notices 1887-1898

Deaths, Funerals & Memorial Services  

Funeral of Mr. Charles Penruddocke - Dinton Attendees 1929 Death of Jane Jeffery 1938 Funeral of Mr. Wyatt 1938
Death of Hilda Lake 1943 Funeral of Cecil Billinger 1946 Memorial Service for Mr. & Mrs. B. Philipps 1947

Elections and Polls

Poll of Freeholders 1772 Poll Book 1818 Mr. Benett Elected Knight of Shire 1819
Members of Parliament Summoned 1852 Poll Book 1865 Register of Electors 1960-1961
MP Nominations 2015

 

Entertainment

Village Festivities 1838                 Christmas Festivities 1838                  New Year's Eve Dance 1937

Family Notices

1800-1849                   1850-1899                   1900 - Present

General Items

Sincere thanks from Thomas Miles & Anna Hayter 1820                   Andrews Newspaper Index Cards - James & Phillips 1937-1947

Inquest Reports

Elizabeth Yates 1812
Henry and John Lampard 1839
Mark Barnes 1841
David Baker 1843
Walter Blake 1848
Samuel Haines 1852 William Mark Hamilton & George Lodge 1856
Henry Cooper 1868
Ann Bishop 1870 Francis Richardson 1872 Harry Cox 1879 Edwin Snook 1884
Ann Yates 1885
Fred Barnes 1887
Luke Turner 1888
Joseph Morris 1891
Frank Plowman 1894
Injury on Harry Love 1898 Osmond Keevil 1904 Louisa Brooks 1905 
Walter Scammell 1906 Edna Belbin 1909 Charles Mullins 1912
Sidney Mitchell 1915
John Scammell 1918

Local Government Appointments

High Sheriffs for Wiltshire 1758-1856

Marriages and Wedding Reports

Marriage Settlement Records 1799-1831 Marriage Festivities of John Bullpitt & Hannah Chinnock 1869 Arthur Stacey to Muriel Martin 1934
Walter Stacey to Marion Dawkins 1937 Roy Small to Muriel Nicholas 1939  

Obituaries

Walter Bailey 1861                  Rev. Charles Humphrey Cholmeley 1895                   Miss Constance Penruddocke 1936

Parish Notables

Edward Hyde - 1st Earl Of Clarendon                 Henry Lawes - Musician and Composer                William Lawes - Keeper of the Kings Music

Reverend George Herbert Engleheart
Reverend George Herbert Engleheart Articles on Engleheart Daffodils Created by Engleheart
George Engleheart Letters to the Newspapers 1915-1936 Catholic Herald Obituary 1936 Times Obituary 1936
2nd Times Obituary 1936

 

Personal Research Items

Tuck Family Research Burial Extracts - This item was donated by Ken Tuck and contains entries that may or may not relate to the Tuck family however they have been published as such.  Many refer to Quaker burials found across the county

Sport

Fishing

Fishing Advice in a New Zealand Newspaper - G. Ansdell 1904

Hunting

South Wilts Hounds 1840-1869                    Letter to Editor Regarding South Wilts Hunt Meeting 1871                  Otter Hounds at Dinton 1902

Taxes

UK Death Duty Registers 1796-1811                 Appointment of Select Commissioners for Land & Assessed Taxes 1842

Testimonials

Walter Bailey Testimonial 1856                  In Recognition of Services - Jane James 1870                  Testimonial in an Agricultural Flyer - D. Coombes 1913

 

Poor Law, Charity and The Workhouse

Bequest to the Poor - Edward Whatmore 1787 Guardians of Wilton Union Appointed 1835  Guardians of Wilton Union 1835-1872
Election of Number of Guardians for Poor Law Union 1836 Purchase of Items for Poor by William Wyndham 1839
Census - Breakdown of Wilton Union Parishes 1851
Paupers Recorded in the Census 1851 Parochial Relief Recipients Recorded in the Census 1861 Bequest to the Poor - William Maslem Barnes 1865
Parochial Relief Recipients Recorded in the Census 1871 Donations for Flood at Shrewton 1841

Probate

Probate Index (WSHC) 1547-1861 UK Extracted Probate 1589-1686
National Probate Index 1858-1966
Wills & Bequeaths 1936-1958

Inquisitions Post Mortem of Lands Held

William, Earl of Pembroke 1630 

Parishioners Wills

Thomas Parham Proved 1833 

 

War, Conflict and Military Matters

Dinton War Graves Gallery                  Dinton War Memorial Gallery

The War Memorial stands in the northern end of the churchyard, which was supplied by Mr Bertram Philipps of Philipps house (formerly Dinton House). The memorial was carved in the shape of a cross, commemorating the men of Dinton who gave their lives in World War 1 and World War 2. The War Memorial was originally unveiled on 12th December, 1920.

Chelsea Pensioner Registers 1792-1853 Isaac Whitwood - Deserter, Army of Reserve 1803 Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry Cavalry 1833
Records of Armed Forces - Army 1836 Royal Navy Registers of Seaman's Services 1858-1917
Autumn Manoeuvres 1872
Dinton War Graves Survey

WWI

Diocese of Salisbury Memorial Book 1914-1918 Church Bell Ringers Roll of Honour WWI Constance Penruddocke - Aussie Mother
Inquest Report on Edward Taylor 1915 Inquest Report on Thomas Anderson 1916 William Henry King - Canadian Forces 1916
Absent Without Leave - Pte. Thomas Jones (AIF) 1917 Records Relating to War Memorial & Burial Rights by I.W.G.C. 1920-1921
Casualties of WWI
Charles Bugg 1917 Henry George Burt
Walter Henry Chapman
 Edgar Walter Cuff
William Henry Dowdell George Furnell Frederick Hacker Arthur James Sivell
James Snook Walter Fred Stokes Cecil Claude Taylor William Tuffin

 

Parishioners who Served in WWI
Reginald Baker Charles Furnell George Jukes John Ralph Jukes
Alex Unwin Lake John Pomeroy Walter George Scammell Arthur James Stacey
Walter George Stacey Wilfred Vicars  

 

 Wounded Servicemen

T. S. Snook 1915

Word War II

Casualties of WWII

Douglas Arthur Richard Bacon                 George Forsyth Cairns                James Thomas Clark                 Guy Robert Hextall Harding    

Spooky Happenings

Sergeant Melbury, of the Admiralty Police at the G/E Depot at Dinton, has two dogs. He is often on duty at night. When he is on night duty, at exactly 3.30 am every morning, the two dogs rush to the main gate growling and with the hair on their backs bristling. The gate and fence are lit by arc lamps. The sergeant always investigates but never finds any cause for the dogs' alarm.

 

Civil Registration

1837-April 1936 Wilton Registration District
April 1936-Present Salisbury Registration District

 

Parish Registers Held at WSHC

Baptisms 1559-1920
Marriages 1559-1997                      
Burials 1558-1979

Parish Registers in Wiltshire 1888

 

Transcriptions

Baptisms                
Marriages                
Burials                
Census 1841 1851 1861 1871 1881 1891 1901 1911

 

 

 

Acknowledgements

Special thanks Andrew Stacey for his knowledge, assistance & supply of photographic material in helping to build the information on this page.  Thanks also Andrew for his transcripts of the Dinton-Dalwood Letters.

Special thanks to Mike Glover for his invaluable information on the Dinton Bonfire Boys & Fireworks magazine for permission to use their articles.

Grateful thanks to Cathy Sedgwick for her submissions during her time as OPC

Read 14669 times Last modified on Saturday, 11 March 2017 17:41

Add comment

Please be aware that comments are not checked daily, if you have a question it is better to contact the volunteer directly. However if you just wish to show appreciation or remark upon the page please feel free to do that here.


Security code
Refresh