Contiguous Parishes (our neighbours)
Ansty - Berwick St. John - Ebbesbourne Wake - Swallowcliffe
GenUKI - For information on Alvediston
University of Leicester's - Website for historical Wiltshire directories
The Workhouse - Poor Law information
Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre - The Wiltshire County Archives for all historical documents and the place to obtain original copies
Wiltshire Community History - Historical information for parishes within the Wiltshire County jurisdiction.
Register of One-Place Studies - Alvediston Entry
The Parish Church of St. Mary
There was a church at Alvediston in the 12th century. It had become part of the endowment of Chalke prebend in Wilton conventual church probably by 1288, when it was described as a chapel and certainly by 1299 when it was said to be a chapel of Broad Chalke. There were vicars of Alvediston from 1299 until the mid 16th century, however from 1584 or earlier Alvediston, along with Broad Chalke and Bower Chalke, were held as one edifice until the perpetual curacy of Alvediston was created in 1861. In the church of St. Mary's there is what is believed to be the tomb possibly of John Gawen dating to the 14th century. There are also several monuments here to the Wyndham family dating from 1688. The family purchased Norrington Manor House in 1658. The church was rebuilt in 1866 by architect T. H. Wyatt although retaining some 17th century architectural features. St. Mary Church Gallery Inside St. Mary St. Mary Churchyard Gallery St. Mary Churchyard Survey
|Protestation Return 1641-1642||Church News 1850-1899||Re-opening of St. Mary's 1865|
|William Aaron Woods, Vicar 1879-1887||Christmas at Church 1892||Church News 1900-1949|
Parish Register Transcripts
Parish Registers held at WSHC
Records available from Other Sources
Look ups for Baptisms and Burials can be sought from Heather Sykes (Scottishheather) via the contact us tab at the top of the page.
Alvediston parish lies at the head of the Ebble Valley, about 15 kilometres west south west of Salisbury. Lands which later formed Alvediston Manor were among 100 small dwellings granted by King Edwy to the nuns of Wilton in 955. Wilton Abbey held the whole of Alvediston in 1066 except the estate called Trow. The Manor was first recorded by name in 1165 and in 1197 Geoffrey of Wenhaston and his wife Alice released to the Abbey their interest in Alfetheston - probably Alvediston.
1837 - April 1936 Tisbury Registration District
April 1936 - January 1978 Mere Registration District
January 1978 - Present Salisbury Registration District
Buildings and Land
Alvediston Manor House
This is located not far from the church and is of the 18th century. It is built of brick, unusual for this area where most buildings are made of stone. The house is built on two storeys and there is a shell roof over the main entrance. It is surround by curved garden walls and was the last home of the Sir Anthony Eden, Earl of Avon who is buried in the local churchyard.
The house is situated east of Shaftesbury and isolated amongst the hills below Tisbury and set in the parish of Alvediston. The house is believed to have been built by John Gawen who purchased the land in 1377 and is said to have been built during the reign of Richard II. The Gawens were one of the oldest English families with links to Sir Gawain of the times of King Arthur. The estate was bought in 1658 and the building undertook some rebuilding. The 14th century hall and vaulted undercroft survive as well as a vaulted porch and doorway with a kings head corbel. Outside can be seen three transom windows.
Crime and Legal Matters
Drink Related Crime
Prisons and Prisoners
Emigration and Migration
Employment and Business
Agriculture and Land
Apprentice records published here may not necessarily mean that the apprentice was from the parish but was apprenticed to a master within the parish.
General Employment and Business Items
News1800-1849 News 1850-1899
Non Conformity and Other Places of Worship
People and Parish Notables
Associations, Clubs, Organisations and Societies
Census Returns Transcripts
Elections and Polls
Sir Anthony Eden - British Prime Minister Johnny Morris - TV Presenter
Poor Law, Charity and The Workhouse
Inquisitions Post Mortem of Lands Held
War, Conflict and Military Matters
|Why the Poppy||Military News 1800-1849||Military News 1850-1899|
|Casualties of WWI Honoured in the Diocese of Salisbury Memorial Book||Casualty Biographies 1914-1918|