Text Size
Saturday, 04 February 2012 02:53

Alvediston - OPC Vacancy

Written by 
Rate this item
(8 votes)
Alvediston - St. Mary Alvediston - St. Mary

Alvediston Photo Gallery

Contiguous Parishes (our neighbours)

Ansty - Berwick St. John - Ebbesbourne Wake - Swallowcliffe

 

Websites

GenUKI - For information on Alvediston
University of Leicester's - Website for historical Wiltshire directories
The Workhouse - Poor Law information
Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre - The Wiltshire County Archives for all historical documents and the place to obtain original copies
Wiltshire Community History - Historical information for parishes within the Wiltshire County jurisdiction.
Register of One-Place Studies - Alvediston Entry

 

The Parish Church of St. Mary

There was a church at Alvediston in the 12th century.  It had become part of the endowment of Chalke prebend in Wilton conventual church probably by 1288, when it was described as a chapel and certainly by 1299 when it was said to be a chapel of Broad Chalke. There were vicars of Alvediston from 1299 until the mid 16th century, however from 1584 or earlier Alvediston, along with Broad Chalke and Bower Chalke, were held as one edifice until the perpetual curacy of Alvediston was created in 1861.     In the church of St. Mary's there is what is believed to be the tomb possibly of John Gawen dating to the 14th century.  There are also several monuments here to the Wyndham family dating from 1688.  The family purchased Norrington Manor House in 1658.  The church was rebuilt in 1866 by architect T. H. Wyatt although retaining some 17th century architectural features.          St. Mary Church Gallery               Inside St. Mary                St. Mary Churchyard Gallery               St. Mary Churchyard Survey

Protestation Return 1641-1642 Church News 1850-1899 Re-opening of St. Mary's 1865
William Aaron Woods, Vicar 1879-1887 Christmas at Church 1892 Church News 1900-1949

Parish Register Transcripts

Baptisms

1592-1812 

Marriages

1594-1837 

Parish Registers held at WSHC

Baptisms 1592-1991
Marriages 1594-1992
Burials 1593-1991
Records available from Other Sources

Look ups for Baptisms and Burials can be sought from Heather Sykes (Scottishheather) via the contact us tab at the top of the page.

 

Parish History

Alvediston parish lies at the head of the Ebble Valley, about 15 kilometres west south west of Salisbury.  Lands which later formed Alvediston Manor were among 100 small dwellings granted by King Edwy to the nuns of Wilton in 955.  Wilton Abbey held the whole of Alvediston in 1066 except the estate called Trow.  The Manor was first recorded by name in 1165 and in 1197 Geoffrey of Wenhaston and his wife Alice released to the Abbey their interest in Alfetheston  - probably Alvediston.

Parish News 1800-1849               Parish News 1850-1899               Parish News 1900-1949

Civil Registration

1837 - April 1936 Tisbury Registration District
April 1936 - January 1978 Mere Registration District
January 1978 - Present Salisbury Registration District

New Registrar 1913 

 

Buildings and Land

Property Sale 1836 Land & Buildings News 1800-1849 Appointment of Select Commissioners for Land and Assessed Taxes 1842
Fire 1845 Land & Buildings News 1850-1899 Fatal Fire at Elcombe 1856
Rate Book 15 July 1897 Rate Book 9 June 1898 Rate Book 9 June 1899
Land & Buildings News 1900-1949 Foot & Mouth Disease 1924-1925  

Alvediston Manor House

This is  located not far from the church and is of the 18th century.  It is built of brick, unusual for this area where most buildings are made of stone.  The house is built on two storeys and there is a shell roof over the main entrance.  It is surround by curved garden walls and was the last home of the Sir Anthony Eden, Earl of Avon who is buried in the local churchyard.

Norrington Manor

The house is situated east of Shaftesbury and isolated amongst the hills below Tisbury and set in the parish of Alvediston.  The house is believed to have been built by John Gawen who purchased the land in 1377 and is said to have been built during the reign of Richard II.  The Gawens were one of the oldest English families with links to Sir Gawain of the times of King Arthur.  The estate was bought in 1658 and the building undertook some rebuilding.  The 14th century hall and vaulted undercroft survive as well as a vaulted porch and doorway with a kings head corbel.  Outside can be seen three transom windows.

 

Crime and Legal Matters

Assaults

Assault on Husband and Wife 1838           Assault in Salisbury Market 1861          Man Involved in Two Assaults 1871

Bastardy

Bastardy Examinations 1849

Court Cases

In The County Court King v Gould 1853

Drink Related Crime

Beer and Misrepresentation 1897

Fraud

Fraud at Alvediston 1935

General Crime

Crime News 1800-1849          Caution to Gipsies 1842          Crime News 1850-1899          Crime News 1900-1949

Poaching

Poaching Charge 1895

Prisons and Prisoners

Committed to Gaol 1800-1849          Committed to Fisherton Gaol 1800-1849           Committed to the County Gaol 1850-1899

Theft

Stealing Fire Wood 1834          Theft of Rings 1931

 

Directories

Post Office 1855          Post Office 1875           Kellys 1903           Kellys 1907           Kellys 1915

 

Education

Education News 1850-1899                    Obituary of Louisa Young, Teacher 1931

 

Emigration and Migration

Strays Index

 

Employment and Business

Employment Notices 1800-1849                     Game Licenses 1834                Employment Notices 1850-1899                   Edwin Mullins Andrews, Police Officer 1878-1969                Labourers Union Fete 1920

 

Miscellaneous Documents

Horse Racing 1850-1899                   Parish Entertainment 1873                    Parish Entertainment 1892

 

Non Conformity and Other Places of Worship

Non Conformist News 1850-1899                    Primitive Methodists Fete 1923                    Primitive Methodists Presentation 1924

 

People and Parish Notables

People Gallery 

Associations, Clubs, Organisations and Societies

Wiltshire Friendly Society Membership 1827-1871

Bankruptcy

Bankruptcy Notice of Thomas Lawes 1783

Census Returns Transcripts

1841          1851          1861          1871          1881          1891          1901          1911

Elections and Polls

Voters List 1832                Poll Book 1865

Family Notices 

1800-1849               1850-1899                  1900-1949

General Items

Poetry by Eliza Rogers 1857                 Earl of Pembroke Comes of Age 1871

Inquest Reports

Inquest Reports 1800-1849               Inquest of Sarah Ellis 1849

Parish Notables

Sir Anthony Eden - British Prime Minister               Johnny Morris - TV Presenter

Taxes

Falstone Day Book 1645-1653

Wedding Reports

Marriage of James Good & Hannah Day 1869

 

Poor Law, Charity and The Workhouse

 

Probate

Probate Index 1553-1830 (WSHC)                     Probate Notice of Charles Ousby Trew 1932

Inquisitions Post Mortem of Lands Held

William, Earl of Pembroke 1630               William Gould 1640

 

War, Conflict and Military Matters

Why the Poppy Military News 1800-1849 Military News 1850-1899
Casualties of WWI Honoured in the Diocese of Salisbury Memorial Book Casualty Biographies 1914-1918  

 

 

Read 6977 times Last modified on Tuesday, 19 September 2017 22:45

Add comment

Please be aware that comments are not checked daily, if you have a question it is better to contact the volunteer directly. However if you just wish to show appreciation or remark upon the page please feel free to do that here.


Security code
Refresh