Contiguous Parishes (our neighbours)
Chicklade - East Knoyle - Fonthill Gifford
GenUKI - For information on Hindon
Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre - The Wiltshire County Archives for all historical documents and the place to obtain original copies
Wiltshire Community History - Historical information for parishes within the Wiltshire County jurisdiction.
Register of One Place Studies - Hindon Entry
Old Maps - Historical Map archive showing Hindon
The Parish Church of St. John the Baptist
The church was built in 1871 and was built on the site of the chapel-of-ease that it was replacing. Richard Grosvenor, the Marquis of Westminster, paid £3,100 for the new church and it was designed by T. H. Wyatt. The church was consecrated on 6th July 1871.
Parish Register Transcripts
Parish Registers Held at WSHC
Hindon is located in the south-west of the Wiltshire county. It is located about 16 miles (26km) west of Salisbury & 9.6 miles (15.4 km) south of Warminster. Hindon was a market town but is now a village. Hindon was developed between 1219-1220 by the Bishop of Winchester, Sir Peter de Roches, in the manor of East Knoyle. The town was built with a series of burgage plots along the main street. In 1219, a weekly market to be held on a Thursday was granted along with an annual fair to be held at Michaelmas. Hindon became a highly prosperous town, mainly due to it being suitably placed with sufficient distance from the markets at Salisbury, Shaftesbury, Mere and Warminster. Hindon suffered a blow to it's fortunes on 2nd July 1754 when a spark from the forge owned by Mr. Tyler, a cutler, ignited the thatch roof of his house which was located on the western side of the high street behind the church. The fire quickly took hold and the flames spread from one side of the high street to another. By that evening around 140 houses had burned to the ground, but luckily only one death was recorded. The houses were soon re-built using stone from the Chilmark and Tisbury quarries. It was around this time that the market had started to decline. Fortunately for Hindon, the coaching era had now begun. Due to an increase in trade between the South West and London and the development of the roads, Hindon was ideally placed to take advantage of the passing traffic and the first London-Exeter mail coach passed through Hindon on 2nd August 1784. In the 19th Century came the development of the railways, and with the Salisbury-Yeovil line commencing in 1859 and Tisbury station only three miles away, this started the decline of Hindon as a prosperous town and into the small village that it is today. The weekly market had ended by 1880 and at the start of the 20th Century only the autumn fair remained but by the end of the First World War this had also ceased to exist.
1837-April 1936 Tisbury Registration District
April 1936-January 1978 Mere Registration District
January 1978-Present Salisbury Registration District
Buildings and Land
The land was used as pasture for the Bishop of Winchester's sheep and by the end of the 13th Century it had been ploughed. The fields were divided into strips and the villagers were given the strips to work on. In the 16th Century there is evidence that there were many small enclosures and by 1741 there were several farms in Hindon. The Bishop's remained overlords with the land as freeholds, however in the 14th Century the Mussel family accumulated a substantial part of the estate and this remained in the family for at least three generations until it was mortgaged to Thomas Tropnell in 1452. It remained in the Tropnell family until around 1620 when it was sold to settle a debt. It went through several owners including a Hindon Inn Keeper. By 1820 it was in the hands of the Calthorpe family and the manor of Hindon now consisted of more than 129 acres and 89 houses. In the 1850's it sold to Richard Grosvenor who was the Marquess of Westminster. Along with Fonthill Abbey, the manor eventually descended to his daughter's husband Sir Michael Robert Shaw-Stewart until the family sold the estate in 1922.
|Appointment of Select Commissioners for Land and Assessed Taxes 1842||Amesbury Turnpike v Hindon Highway Board 1868||Owners of Land 1873|
|Proposed Erection of Telegraph Poles 1932||Best Village Awards 2004 & 2006|
Hindon has one ancient monument listed. Ancient Monuments List
Grade I - Buildings of outstanding architectural or historic interest:
There are no listings for this category within the parish
Grade II* - Buildings are particularly important and of more than special interest:
There are no listings for this category within the parish
Grade II - Buildings are nationally important and of special interest:
|Abraxas and Cottage to the North||Albany House||Apple Tree Cottage, Lamb Cottage & Queen's Head Cottage|
|April Cottage Maridon||Baker's Arch||Banham High Steps|
|Bank House||Beckford Cottages||Beckford Cottages Ivydene|
|Brampton Cottage||Byeway Oak Tree Cottage||Chances Pitch|
|Church Cottage||Church View Cottage||Cottage on High Street|
|Cottage to North of Rose Cottage||Cutlers Cottage||Daysmead|
|Demelza Cottage||Dene House, with Stable Block & Walls||Dormers Runnymede|
|Edward Cottage||Grant Cottage||Greystones|
|Grosvenor Arms, with Rear Stable Block||Hacker Monument in Churchyard||2 High Street|
|8 and 10 High Street||Holmwood||Inverie|
|Iona||Jasden Peace Haven||K6 Telephone Kiosk Adjacent to Post Office (Hindon 241)|
|Lower Cottage||Milestone About 175 Metres South West of the Grosvenor Arms||Monks Cellar|
|Moonfleet Weedree||Old Bakery and Shop to Right||Old Cottage|
|Old Forge||Pilgrims' Rest Velden||Players|
|Post Office & General Stores||Prospect||Red Lion House|
|Rose Cottage||Roseneath Spring Cottage||Rosslyn|
|Says Cottages (4 buildings)||Selby Cottage & Wyvern Cottage||Shop and House on South Corner of Road to Mere|
|St. John the Baptist Church||Stage One||Tanswell|
|Top House||Victoria Cottages||Wardour Cottage|
|Weavers||Well Head in front of Peace Haven||Willow Cottage|
Property For Auction, Let or Sale
|Premises to Let 1782
||10 High Street For Sale 2014
||Queen's Head Cottage For Sale 2014
|Weavers For Sale 2014||Swan House For Sale 2015||Tanswell For Sale 2015|
By 1754, there were a recorded 14 Inns and Public Houses.
Grosvenor Arms/Angel Inn
Prior to the construction of The Grosvenor in 1750, a medieval inn called The Angel existed on the site. The Grosvenor Arms is now known as The Angel once more and still retains many of the original features.
This fine old posting-house dates from the 16th century, but the building is probably earlier. In the tap room may be seen the great open fireplace, with original oak beams and pillars, and the room has an unusual curved window and window seat. The bar is decorated with copper ware, and the old settle and refectory table maintains the pleasing atmosphere of the coaching days.
Crime and Legal Matters
Emigration and Migration
Employment and Business
During the 17th Century, Hindon was noted for its Corn Market, and it was said to only be second to the market at Warminster which was one of the largest in the South West. In 1332 the annual fair was replaced by two fairs to be held at Ascension and St Luke's Day and each fair lasted for three days. However by the 1790's the fairs had been limited to one day each on the Monday before Whitsun and the 29th October and by the late 19th Century the dates were fixed to 27th May and 29th October. Due to the success of the market and fairs, a variety of trades existed in Hindon.
Agriculture and Land
Non Conformity and Other Places of Worship
Primitive Methodist Chapel
The Primitive Methodists were given a plot to build a Methodist chapel on the western side of the upper high street in 1840. There were many objections to this and this led to the chapel being built at night. In 1898 the chapel was re-built and moved to the lower high street. The chapel was closed in 1981.
In 1810 a Congregational chapel was built by a Warminster minister. The chapel seated one hundred and from 1854 the congregation had links with East Knoyle. Due to a decline in membership, the chapel was sold in 1972 and became a private house.
People and Parish Notables
Associations, Clubs, Organisations and Societies
Census Returns Transcripts
Elections, Polls and Voting Lists
|Poll Book 1705||Poll of Freeholders 1772||MPs' Letter of Thanks 1780||Poll Book 1818|
|Voters List 1832||Polling District Poll Book Analysis 1857||Poll Book 1865||Polling District Poll Book Analysis July 1865|
|MP Nominations 2015|
People of the Parish
Poor Law, Charity and the Workhouse
Inquisitions Post Mortem of Lands Held
War, Conflict and Military Matters
Local Military Burials
Uncategorised Military Items
Casualties of WWI
Men Who Served in WWI
Casualty of WWII
War Memorials and Books of Remembrance
The Hindon War Memorial is located in the grounds of St. John the Baptist Church. There are three Commonwealth War Graves in the Churchyard of St. John the Baptist - Two from WWI and one from WWII.
Church Memorials and Rolls of Honour
Village War Memorial
Grateful thanks to Cathy Sedgwick and to Clare Brunton for their submissions to this parish whilst OPC