Contiguous Parishes (our neighbours)
Chippenham - Draycot Cerne - Hardenhuish - Langley Burrell - Leigh Delamare - Stanton St. Quinton - Sutton Benger - Yatton Keynell
Duncan and Mandy Ball's - Website for images of St Peter's Church
GenUKI - For information relating to Wiltshire and Kington Langley
Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre - The Wiltshire County Archives for all historical documents and the place to obtain original copies
Wiltshire Community History - Historical information for parishes within the Wiltshire County jurisdiction.
Register of One-Place Studies - Kington Langley Entry
Village News Kington Langley - Website for images and current village news
The Parish Church of St. Peter
Until 1670 when a cottage in Kington Langley was converted into a chapel of ease, parishioners used to have to travel to the nearby village of Kington St. Michael to worship some 1.6 km away. In 1856 a purpose built chapel of ease was completed, which was made the Church of England parish church of saint Peter in 1865. St. Peter's was designed by C.H. Gabriel with lancet windows in an Early English Gothic style. St. Peter's is in the Diocese of Bristol. St. Peter's Churchyard Gallery
Parish Register Transcripts
Parish Registers held at WSHC
A pretty village at the top of Fitzurse Hill, and that ancient family also gives its name to one of the farms which later belonged to Sir Ralph Hopton. The Fitzurse's held it under Glastonbury Abbey, and one of their name will be remembered in connection with the murder of Thomas a Becket. A large 17th century house on the green is known as Great House; it retains its original front, although much altered and added to some years ago. The old church or chapel was converted into a private house in 1670. It was dedicated to St. Peter, his festival was, according to Aubrey, "one of the eminentest feasts in these parts".
The parish of Kington Langley is relatively recent in its creation. It was formed out of part of the parish of Kington St. Michael in 1865. It was named Kington Langley to distinguish it from another village, Langley Burrell. During medieval times the hamlet was known as Langley Fitzurze although other spellings such as 'Langeleghe' (11th century) and 'Langley Fernhill' (1660) have been used.
The parish of Kington Langley covers approximately 1,571 acres (636 ha). Kington Langley is situated on a high water table and the soil is mainly composed of sand with a sub-soil of Oxford clay. The village stands on a hill, which rises 100 metres (330 ft) above sea level towards its western end. It is an example of a 'squared' village with approaches from Swindon, Malmesbury and Chippenham. The village has three greens. The largest is known as the common, which covers 30 acres (12 ha) and is considered the focal point of the village. The village is just east of the A350 trunk road.
1837 - Present Chippenham Registration District
Building and Land
Crime and Legal Matters
Emigration and Migration
Employment and Business
Non Conformity and Other Places of Worship
1742 (earliest known date) Protestant Dissenters used to meet for worship in Kington Langley. At first they used to meet in private houses until 1834 when James Pinnegar (a builder) built the Union Chapel on the Common and was completed in 1855. The Chapel remains independent and is now called Union Chapel Christian Fellowship.
People and Parish Notables
Elections and Polls
Personal Research Items
Tuck Family Research Burial Extracts - This item was donated by Ken Tuck and contains entries that may or may not relate to the Tuck family however they have been published as such. Many refer to Quaker burials found across the county
Harry Dolman (1897-1977), chairman and president of Bristol City F.C.
Norris McWhirter (1925-2004), editor of Guinness World Records.
Robin Tanner (1904-1988), writer, artist and Illustrator
Heather Tanner (1903-1993), writer and campaigner
Poor Law, Charity and The Workhouse
War, Conflict and Military Matters