Text Size
Wednesday, 01 February 2012 01:22

All Cannings - OPC Vacancy

Written by 
Rate this item
(22 votes)
All Cannings - All Saints All Cannings - All Saints
All Cannings - Allington Bethel Strict Baptist Church All Cannings - Allington Bethel Strict Baptist Church

All Cannings Photo Gallery

Contiguous Parishes (our neighbours)

Avebury - Bishops Cannings - East Kennett - Etchilhampton - Patney - Southbroom - Stanton St. Bernard

 

Websites

All Cannings - A brief history
Duncan and Mandy Ball's - Website for images of All Saints Church
GenUKI  - For information on All Cannings
United Benefice - Bishops Cannings, Etchilhampton & All Cannings
University of Leicester's - Website for historical Wiltshire directories
The registers of All Cannings, and Etchilhampton - American Libraries - these have been transcribed below
Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre - The Wiltshire County Archives for all historical documents and the place to obtain original copies
Wiltshire Community History - Historical information for parishes within the Wiltshire County jurisdiction
Register of One-Place Studies - All Cannings Entry

 

The Parish Church of All Saints

The cruciform church (All Saints) was originally Norman, and two of the old piers of the former central tower of this date remain incorporated with the piers of the late crossing which support the Perpendicular tower. The nave is Decorated the aisles Perpendicular and the north porch, which was evidently an addition to the once Normal nave, is Early English. The transepts are Perpendicular, the south transept having a chantry chapel to the east in the battlemented parapet of which occur the arms of Beauchamp ans St Amand. The chancel was rebuilt in 1867 from the designs of T. H. Wyatt, by the rector, Mr Methuen, and his sons, as a memorial to the Rev. T. P. Methuen, and a testimony to a happy home. There is a reredos of carved alabaster with a well executed representation of the Lord's supper. The roofs of the nave  and south aisle are Jacobean, also the font cover (1633).In the north transept is some old glass showing the archangel Gabriel. At the west end of the south aisle is a handsome  Elizabethan monument to William and Ione Ernle (1587), and in the north aisle an 18th century monument to the same family.
(Note:Norman (1060-1145), Early English (1190-1245), Decorated (1245-1360), Perpendicular (1360-1485)  [source: The Red Book, published by Methuen, 1949]

All Saints Church Gallery

Parish Register Transcripts

Notes From the Parish Registers 1578-1848

Baptisms

1578-1680          1689-1812          1813-1899

Banns

1755-1805 

Marriages

1578-1685          1700-1812           1813-1899  

Burials

1578-1680            1681-1812           1813-1899 

Parish Registers held at WSHC

Baptisms 1578-1947
Marriages 1578-1992
Burials 1578-1872

Records available from Other Sources

 

Parish History

(Old English. eald=the old place of the people of Cana) All Cannings is in the Pewsey vale. The manor house now a farmhouse and nuch modernised, has some 14th century woodwork. Coleridge visited the Mr Methuen of his day in 1818. The farm of All Cannings Cross was the scene of great importance, when the site of a village of the early Iron Age was excavated.   [source: The Red Book, published by Methuen, 1949]

This parish includes the hamlets of Allington and Fullaway

Civil Registration

1837 - Present Devizes Registration District

 

Buildings and Land

Enclosures

Inclosure Award Abstract 1799

Indentures

Indenture for Sale, Mortgage etc. Stonyford Mill, Stanton St. Bernard 1764

Land Owners

Owners of Land 1873 

Listed Buildings

Grade II*

All Saints Church (Please see under the All Saints Church Section above for articles relating to the church)

Grade II
Barn at Rendells Farm Bridge on the Kennet & Avon Canal, North of Townend Burden Cottage Carisbrooke
Church Hatch Cliff Farmhouse Corner Pier to Garden of Old Rectory Drewitt Cottage
The Homestead Lilac Cottage The Old Forge Old Malt House
Parry Monument in Churchyard (South of South Transept) Parry Monuments (2) (South of South Porch) Rose Cottage Rustic Cottage
Thornycroft 73 & 75 Townend 81 Townend Townend Cottage
Vine Cottage White Rose Cottage Wycombe Cottage Yew Tree Cottage
Old Rectory 

Sale Notice 1997

Public Houses

Public Houses Gallery

 

Crime and Legal Matters

Bastardy Examinations               Assault and Attempted Robbery 1824           Goodman & Amor, Trial & Execution 1824                 Breach of Promise of Marriage 1878                  

 

Directories

Post Office 1855           Kellys 1867           Post Office 1875          Gillmans 1899          Kellys 1903          Kellys 1907          Kellys 1911          Kellys 1915          Kellys 1931

 

Education

 

Emigration and Migration

Strays Index                 Assisted Emigration 1846     

   

Employment and Business

Apprentices

Wiltshire Society Apprentices 
Charles Merritt 1836 William Swatton 1831 George White 1844 John White 1832 Mark White 1838
Mark White 1853    

 

Markets and Fairs

Christmas Fare at Devizes 1870 

 

Miscellaneous Documents

 

Non Conformity and Other Places of Worship

Allington Chapel (see tab below)

 

People and Parish Notables

People Gallery

Associations, Clubs, Organisations and Societies

Wiltshire Friendly Society Membership 1827-1871           Labourer's Friend Society Meeting at Devizes 1833

Census Returns Transcripts

1851          1861

Please note that the original 1841 Census return did not survive for All Cannings

Coroners Bills

County coroners were introduced in England in around 1194 once established other boroughs and liberties sought the right to have their own coroner.  Often in Medieval times the coroner also assumed the role of the sheriff and his duties weren't limited to holding inquests on dead bodies although almost a full time post they were unpaid for the duties apart from those that were deemed murder of manslaughter when they would receive 13s. 4d.   From the 24th June 1752 a law was passed allowing the coroner to claim £1 for every inquest they attended not held in a gaol and also to claim 9d per mile travel allowance from the place of residence.  Inquests held in any gaol were performed at a rate totalling no more than £1.  These costs were to be paid from the county rates.  In cases of homicide the coroner also received the former fee of 13s. 4d.  The coroners submitted their bills at the quarter session sittings for approval.  Coroners Bills 1752-1796

Elections and Polls

Poll of Freeholders 1772             Voters List 1832            Voters Lists Revisions 1843                County Council Election Notice 1925                MP Nominations 2015

Parish Notables

Andy Scott, Guitarist & Songwriter, member of the Glam Rock Band "Sweet"

Personal Research Items     

Tuck Family Research Burial Extracts - These items were donated by Ken Tuck and contains entries that may or may not relate to the Tuck family however they have been published as such.  Many references to Quaker entries may be found from across the county.

Taxes

Knight Compositions 1628             

 

Poor Law, Charity and the Workhouse

Poor Law Union Bread & Flour Contract 1838

 

Probate

Probate Notices 1800-1899                  National Probate Index 1858-1966

Parishioners Wills

Henry Hiscock 1568 & 1569               Thomas Neate the Elder 1661              Mary Longcaster 1695

 

War, Conflict and Military Matters

Why the Poppy Servicemen & Families with the 1st Wilts. Regt. in South Africa 1911 Casualties of WWI Named in the Diocese of Salisbury Memorial Book
Casualties of WWI Biographies    

British Red Cross/Voluntary Aid Detachment

Jane Cave 1916-1917       

          

Allington

ALLINGTON

Allington Photo Gallery

Parish History

Allington is a small hamlet, 1/2 mile north of All Cannings. There are many barrows in the neighbourhood and the Rybury camp (Iron Age) is on a hill 1 1/2 miles to the northeast.  [source: The Red Book, published by Methuen, 1949]

The hamlet of Allington can be found on the Horton Road (off A361, London Road, near Devizes)

 

Buildings and Land

Enclosures

Inclosure Award Abstract 1799

Listed Buildings 

Grade II Listed

5 Allington                 Bethel Street Baptist Chapel               Hotspur House

 

Crime and Legal Matters

Bastardy Examinations

 

Directories

Post Office 1855                Gillmans 1914

 

Education

 

Emigration and Migration

Strays Index               Emigrant - James Ellis 1863

 

Employment and Business

 

Miscellaneous Documents

 

Non Conformity and Other Places of Worship

A Strict Baptist Chapel (Bethel Street Baptist) opened here in 1828 through the efforts of Joseph Parry, the principle farmer of Allington, the village Evangelist, and became a prominent social centre for the people of Allington.  Most of the inhabitants attended the chapel. On Census Sunday 1851 the morning attendance was 80, whilst 100 people came to chapel in the afternoon.  Until 1881 the villagers were married at All Cannings.  In that year the Chapel was registered to solemnize their own marriages. The chapel closed between c1927 and 1937, after that weekly services continued through the 20th century and into the present one.               Strict Baptist Church Gallery               Chapelyard Memorials Survey - A small area in front of the Chapel.  A farmyard is located behind the burial ground.

 

People and Parish Notables

Census Returns Transcripts

1861  

Please note that the Original 1841 Census Return has not survived.

Elections and Polls

Voters List 1832              Poll of Freeholders 1772

Personal Research Items     

Tuck Family Research Burial Extracts - These items were donated by Ken Tuck and contains entries that may or may not relate to the Tuck family however they have been published as such.  Many references to Quaker entries may be found from across the county.

 

Poor Law, Charity and The Workhouse

 

Probate

 

War, Conflict and Military Matters

WWI

British Red Cross/V.A.D. Volunteers 

Janie Cave 1917-1918

 

Fullaway

Fullaway

Crime and Legal Matters

Bastardy Examinations

 

Read 11373 times Last modified on Saturday, 16 September 2017 22:27

Add comment

Please be aware that comments are not checked daily, if you have a question it is better to contact the volunteer directly. However if you just wish to show appreciation or remark upon the page please feel free to do that here.


Security code
Refresh