Text Size
Monday, 06 February 2012 23:18

Liddington - OPC Vacancy

Written by 
Rate this item
(8 votes)
Liddington - All Saints Liddington - All Saints

Liddington Village Photo Gallery

Contiguous Parishes (our neighbours)

Aldbourne - Chiseldon - Stratton St Margaret - Wanborough



GenUKI - For information on Liddington
Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre - The Wiltshire County Archives for all historical documents and the place to obtain original copies
Wiltshire Community History - Historical information for parishes within the Wiltshire County jurisdiction.


The Parish Church of All Saints

The church contains some ancient tombs in the north aisle, one of them said to belong to an abbess of Shaftesbury, who was the founder.  

All Saints Church Gallery            Inside All Saints Church                 All Saints Churchyard Gallery

All Saints Churchyard Survey and grave marker Plot Locations  (60% complete)               The Liddington Bells Project                  Church Matters 1700-1799

Parish Register Transcripts


1692-1749           1750-1799 




1692-1749          1750-1840 



Parish Registers held at WSHC

Baptisms 1692-1952
Marriages 1692-1992
Burials 1692-1919
BTs 1838-1842 are held at Bristol Record Office

Please note the burial records 1813-1918 may not be a complete record set 


Parish History

Liddington is a downland village with pretty thatched cottages.  It is sometimes spelt Lyddington and includes the tything of Coate and the hamlets of Caste, Liddington Wick, Liddington Warren and Medbourn.

(old english. hlyde = loud stream; ington = farm) is a downland village with pretty thatched cottages. The church (All Saints) contains some ancient tombs in the north aisle, one of them said to belong to an Abbess of Shaftesbury, who was the founder.  Liddington Castle is about 1 mile to the south, and is finely placed strategically, while it commands some magnificent views over a great expanse of country - Berkshire, Wiltshire, Gloucestershire, all coming into the wonderful pictures unfolded. The camp is a good specimen of the prehistoric fortresses of Iron Age so numerous on the chalk escarpments. The single fosse is a deep one, and the encircling rampart is 40ft high, that area enclosed being about 7.3/4 acres. The old Ridgeway comes down from Hackpen Hill  and Barbury Castle, with its beech clump, which is away to the southwest and over 4 miles distant, and which must not be confounded in any way with the pretty little hamlet of Badbury, close to Liddington and erroneously associated sometimes with the victory of Badbury Rings.      [source: The Little Guide, Methuen 1949]

Civil Registration

1837 - 1898 Highworth Registration District
1898 - Present Swindon Registration District

Parish Council

New Parish Council 1894

Buildings and Land

Enclosure Awards 1777             Commutation of Tithes 1838               Owners of Land 1873

Barbury Camp

May be readily reached by a pleasant walk over the open downs of the Hackpen Hill range. It is set on a commanding elevation where the escarpment of the Chalk Downs looks across the Vale of White Horse, and it is well marked out by its beech clump visible for many miles around. The camp, some 1/2 m. round, is encircled by a double ditch and rampart, the latter of great strength, enclosing over 12 acres. The east entrance is defended by a barbican. Various relics have been dug up here, torques, coins, arrow-heads, etc., and many are preserved in the Marlborough Museum. The ancient Ridgeway climbs the hill almost to the Castle or camp, 'paving itself with harebell, silverweed, eyebright, and bartsia'. This was one of Richard Jefferies' favourite haunts, and was easily reached from his home in Coate. Barbury has strong claims to be considered that Beran Byrig where the britons were defeated in a decisive battle by the West Saxons under Cynric and ceawlin in 556.      [source: The Little Guide, Methuen 1949]

Coate Water

Coate Water was constructed as a reservoir in around 1830 to top up the canal which ran through Swindon.  Coate was fed by the River Cole.  In 1913, Swindon Corporation bought Coate Water plus 80 acres of surrounding land for £10,000.  The area today is used as a boating lake and nature reserve.  A popular retreat for locals from the hustle and bustle of the industrial metropolis that is Swindon.


Ordnance Surveyor's Drawings 1818

Parish Council

Parish Council created 1894

Public Houses

Beerex Festival 1976


Crime and Legal Matters


Affiliation Summons Bateman v Crew 1891

Prisons and Prisoners

Convicts sent to Prison Hulks 1823-1842



Post Office 1855                   Kellys 1915                 Swindon & District 1928




Emigration and Migration

Strays Index


Employment and Business

British Postal Service Appointments 1737-1969               Game Certificates 1839               Game Certificates 1849


Miscellaneous Documents


Non Conformity and Other Places of Worship


People and Parish Notables

People Gallery


Fatal Accident to Henry Martin 1874

Census Returns Transcripts


Bishop Compton's census 1676

Aged over 16 years - 160 conformists.

Elections, Polls & Voting Lists

Poll Book 1705          Poll of Freeholders 1772          Voters List 1832          Voters Lists Revisions 1843          Electoral Lists Revision Court 1902       Poll Book 1818

Family Notices


General Items

Secrets of Farming Book Subscribers 1863

Parish Notables

Joel Joffe - Baron of Liddington 1932-2017             

Personal Research Items

Pope Surname Parish Register Extracts to 1837


1332 Tax List


Poor Law, Charity and the Workhouse

Churchwardens' Accounts 1775-1777                 Medical Relief 1837                 Poor Law Union Supplies 1847                   Public Assistance Administration 1948


National Probate Index 1858-1966


War, Conflict and Military Matters

War Memorials & Military Gallery

Why the Poppy               Servicemen & Families with 1st Wilts Regt. in South Africa 1911                Roll of Honour Plaque 1914-1919




Coate Photogallery

Crime and Legal Matters

Alleged Assault by John Bourton 1875


Employment and Business

British Postal Service Appointments 1737-1969 (Coate)


People and Parish Notables

Elections, Polls & Voters Lists

Poll of Freeholders 1772


Parish Notables

Richard Jefferies - Natural History Writer, 1848-1887




Parish History

Also known as Medborne and Medbourne


Buildings and Land

Property for Sale by Auction

Rebbeck Property at Medbourne Farm 1877



Parishioners Wills

Robert Whipp Proved 1670



Read 6281 times Last modified on Monday, 05 February 2018 22:51

Add comment

Please be aware that comments are not checked daily, if you have a question it is better to contact the volunteer directly. However if you just wish to show appreciation or remark upon the page please feel free to do that here.

Security code