Contiguous Parishes (our neighbours)
Everleigh - Manningford Abbas - Milton Lilborne - Wilcot
GenUKI - For information on Pewsey and Wiltshire
Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre - The Wiltshire County Archives for all historical documents and the place to obtain original copies
Wiltshire Community History - Historical information for parishes within the Wiltshire County jurisdiction.
The Parish Church of St. John the Baptist
Parish Register Transcripts
Parish Registers held at WSHC
Look Ups for Baptisms and Burials up to 1837 can be requested from the OPC for Woodborough (Duncan McBurney) via the Contact Us Tab at the top of the Home Page
Pewsey, or 'Pevisigge' as it was known in Anglo Saxon times, probably means the island (or dry land surrounded by marsh) that belongs to Pefe. The first recorded mention of Pewsey is as one of more than 60 places that King Alfred of Wessex, who died in 899, bequeathed in his will. Pewsey remained part of the royal estate until 940 when King Alfred's grandson, Edmund, granted it to Hyde Abbey in Winchester with income from the estate being used for the monk's clothing. It was to remain in the possession of Hyde Abbey until the monastery was dissolved in 1539. The Doomsday Book of 1086 records four entries for Pewsey ('Pevesei'), the principal entry being the lands owned by Hyde Abbey that comprised 30 hides (1 hide = approx. 120 acres) and had 7 mills with land for 24 ploughs. The other entries are small land holdings in Pewsey but include a church held by Reinbold of Cirencester. It is estimated that the total population of Pewsey at this time would be 350 to 400 people.
Pewsey - A Village Description
The parish of Pewsey is located between Salisbury Plain and the Marlborough Downs at the centre of the Vale of Pewsey in east Wiltshire. Included within the parish are the hamlets Southcott, Kepnal, and Sharcott, and the settlement Pewsey Wharf. Six miles north of Pewsey lies its nearest town, Marlborough, with nearby villages including Oare, Wootton Rivers, Wilcot, Manningford Bohune, Manningford Abbots, Huish, Manningford Bruce, Woodborough, and Burbage. Pewsey is a traditional large rural Wiltshire village boasting a range of styles of architecture, including Georgian homes and shops, thatched and slate roofed cottages, and more modern style buildings. Noted for its attractive landscape, the village is situated on the River Avon, one mile south of the Kennet & Avon Canal, and one mile south of Pewsey Hill. Pewsey Hill is significant in that on its slopes Pewsey’s most famous landmark, the chalk cut Pewsey White Horse can be found. In 1985 Pewsey’s architectural and historical heritage was recognised when it was designated a Conservation Area.
1837 - April 1936 Pewsey Registration District
April 1936 - Present Devizes Registration District
Buildings and Land
Inquisitions of Lands Held
Pewsey station originally sat on a single track line on the Hungerford to Devizes Route. In 1900 the present station was built on a new double track line to provide a fast route from Reading to the South West. The station building was built of red brick with a gabled entrance on a single storey with a slate roof. The station was built on a distinct bend as the track passes by this pretty Victorian building.
Crime and Legal Matters
Prisons and Inmates
Emigration and Migration
Employment and Business
Agricultural and Land
Non Conformity and Other Places of Worship
People and Parish Notables
Associations, Clubs, Organisations and Societies
Elections, Polls and Taxes
Zoe Wanamaker - Actress
Personal Research Items
Tuck Family Research Burial Extracts - These items were donated by Ken Tuck and contains entries that may or may not relate to the Tuck family however they have been published as such. Many references to Quaker entries may be found from across the county.
Poor Law, Charity and the Workhouse
Poor Law Union
Supplies and Tenders
Estate & Probate Notices
War, Conflict and Military Matters
Service Men and Women
V. A. D. and British Red Cross
War Memorials and Plaques