Text Size
Saturday, 18 February 2012 22:15

Stanton Fitzwarren - The OPC is Anne-marie Hayes

Written by 
Rate this item
(5 votes)
Stanton  Fitzwarren - St Leonard Stanton Fitzwarren - St Leonard

Stanton Fitzwarren Village Gallery

Contiguous Parishes (our neighbours)

Broad Blunsdon - Hannington - Highworth - Sevenhampton - South Marston - Stratton St. Margaret

 

Websites

GenUKI - For information on Wiltshire and Stanton Fitzwarren
Stanton Fitzwarren - Wikipedia
St Leonard's Church - The church at Stanton Fitzwarren
St Leonard's Church - British Listed Buildings
Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre - The Wiltshire County Archives for all historical documents and the place to obtain original copies
Wiltshire Community History - Historical information for parishes within the Wiltshire County jurisdiction.

 

The Parish Church of St. Leonard

The style of the church is Norman and is dedicated in honour of St Leonard.  

(the farm by the standing stone) was in the possession of the Fitzwarrens as early as 1196. The church (St. Leonard) has a norman nave with good north and south doorways and chancel arch. The chancel is perpendicular  and the tower 17th century; the nave has been extended westwards in modern times. The most note worthy feature of the building, however, is the magnificent Norman font, one of the most remarkable in the county, carved with the virtues and the vices. There is an Elizabethan royal arms in the vestry. The fittings of the church, including the screen, are elaborately carved in oak and are the work of a late rector, the rev. Canon Caldwell-Masters.  [source: The Little Guide, Methuen 1949]

St. Leonard Gallery                                   St. Leonard Churchyard Gallery

Parish Register Transcripts

Transcriptions are extracted from microfiche copies of original registers held at the Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre (WSHC), are subject to copyright and are for private researchers only.

Baptisms

1800-1851

Burials

1800-1851

Notes from the Parish Registers

A Date Is Upon Stanton Tower of 1031.          November the seventh 1822 - The Rev. John Asfordby Trenchard LLD. was inducted into the real, actual and corporal Profession of the Parish Church of Stanton Fitzwarren in the county of Wilts, with all and singular the Rights, Members and Appurtenances thereunto belonging by me Edward Rowden, Vicar of Highworth.  In the presence of Joseph Edwards, Churchwarden; Benjamin Large, Parish Clerk.          The Rev. J. A. Trenchard LLD. died March 10th 1838.

OPC Enquiries

For enquiries about St. Leonard's registers and Bishops Transcripts (BTs) please click on my name (in green) at top left of page.  Lookups of specific events, with dates or within a 10 year time frame are available for all burials; baptisms up to 1913 and marriages up to 1928.           Census queries can be sent in too.

Parish Registers held at WSHC

Baptisms 1542-1992
Marriages 1543-1984
Burials 1543-1988

 

Parish History

Population

1811 - The population of Stanton Fitzwarren is 215.

Civil Registration

1837 - 1898 Highworth Registration District
1898 - Present Swindon Registration District

 

Buildings and Land

Owners of Land 1873

The Free State Department of Agriculture have been officially informed by the British Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries that an outbreak of foot-and-mouth disease has been confirmed at Stanton Fitzwarren, Swindon, Wiltshire.  The British Ministry has made an Order prohibiting the movement of animals over a large area surrounding the infected place.  "Irish Press" 25th May 1933

Stanton House was built in the Cotswold style in 1935 for New York businessman H. W. Binns and is centred on the original 14th century East window of the church.  It is now a hotel.

Maps

Ordnance Survey Map 1816

 

Crime and Legal Matters

 

Directories

North Wilts Directory 1890             Swindon & District 1928

 

Education

1818 - There is a Sunday School with 30 children supported by the subscriptions of the Minister J. A. Trenchard and farmers.

 

Emigration and Migration

 

Employment and Business

Gamekeepers Certificates 1807

 

Miscellaneous Documents

 

Non Conformity and Other Places of Worship

Non Conformist Baptism Strays 1807-1819

 

People and Parish Notables

People Gallery

Census Returns Transcripts

1841           1851          1861          1871           1881          1891          1901

Elections and Polls

Poll of Freeholders 1772          Voters List 1832            Voters List Revisions 1843                 Electoral Lists Revision Court 1902 

Family Notices

1800-1899                  1900-1999           

Personal Research Items

Tuck Family Research Burial Extracts - These items were donated by Ken Tuck and contains entries that may or may not relate to the Tuck family however they have been published as such.  Many references to Quaker entries may be found from across the county.

 

Poor Law, Charity and the Workhouse

1815 - The number of the poor was 22.                     

Medical Relief 1837                     Swindon & Highworth Union supplies 1838                Poor Law Union Supplies 1847                  Public Assistance Administration 1948

 

Probate

 

War, Conflict and Military Matters

War Memorials & Military Gallery

Stanton Fitzwarren War Memorial

 

 

Read 4637 times Last modified on Wednesday, 06 December 2017 10:00

Add comment

Please be aware that comments are not checked daily, if you have a question it is better to contact the volunteer directly. However if you just wish to show appreciation or remark upon the page please feel free to do that here.


Security code
Refresh