Contiguous Parishes (our neighbours)
Baydon - Chiseldon with Draycote Foliat - Liddington - Little Hinton - Mildenhall - Ogbourne St. George - Ramsbury - Wanborough
GenUKI - For information on Aldbourne
Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre - The Wiltshire County Archives for all historical documents and the place to obtain original copies
Wiltshire Community History - Historical information for parishes within the Wiltshire County jurisdiction.
Register of One-Place Studies - Aldbourne Entry
TreelinesUK - OPC's Own Website. For further information about Aldbourne, email John via the contact us tab at the top of this page.
The Parish Church of St. Michael
The Church of England parish church overlooks the village green and is medieval and a Grade I listed building. The nave and chancel are 13th Century; the east end shows the usual series of transepts and chapels filled with monuments whilst the clerestory, the roof other areas are 15th Century. There is an elaborate Jacobean pulpit and, by way of variety, two Georgian fire-engines of 1778. The tower is a particularly imposing structure but unfortunately lacking the large pinnacles by which it was intended to be completed. The architecture of the church is gothic, restored in the 1860's by the Victorian architect William Butterfield.
Parish Register Transcripts
Transcriptions of complete registers and census entries from 1637 to 1900 sorted chronologically by family will be found on John Dymond's site, TreelinesUK.
Parish Registers held at WSHC
In the heart of the north eastern Downland stands the one time bell-founding town of Aldbourne, watched over by the tall tower of its fine church. The parish includes the tythings of Preston and Upper and Lower Upham. Also includes the areas of Ford, Crowood, Loves, Hillwood, Dudmore Lodge, Hickler Knoll, Warren, North Farm, North Field, East Leaze and Baydon Lottage. The parish also contains the abandoned hamlet of Snap.
1837 - April 1937 Hungerford Registration District
April 1837 - Present Marlborough Registration District
In 1971, the village was used as the location of Devil's End in the Doctor Who episode The Dæmons, starring Jon Pertwee. In 1992 a documentary called Return to Devil's End was alo filmed in the village. In 2014 the village featured as the Village of Overton in the tv drama Glue.
Buildings and Land
Lewisham Castle is a small medieval ringwork about 1.5 miles (2.4 km) south-west of the village.
Situated on the Square and closed in 1958. It is now a residential property.
Situated at 11 West Street. Now a residential property
The Queen Victoria was situated on West Street. This pub was known as The Queen Inn until 1855 and is now in a residential property. Publican in 1900 was Jesse Bray, who died here that year.
Crime and Legal Matters
Emigration and Migration
Employment and Business
Wiltshire Society Apprentices
For at least 130 years Aldbourne had a bell foundry. Bells cast by the Cor and Wells families survive at parish churches at Berwick St. John and Seend. Many others survive at other locations in the UK.
Non Conformity and Other Places of Worship
In about 1669 there were known to be Dissenter Meetings outside the Court House on Thursday and Saturday. These meetings could attract up to 300 people from the area who came to listen to the sermon of the day. Methodists and other non-conformist denominations had strong roots in the parish.
Methodist Church, Lottage Road
In 1968 both groups of Methodists (Primitive and Wesleyans) combined to build Aldbourne Methodist Church in a newly built hall in Lottage Road. This church has closed in recent years.
Primitive Methodist Chapel, West Street
A Primitive Methodist chapel opened in West Street in about 1840, and a new chapel was built on the same site in 1906. This chapel was demolished in 1982.
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Lottage Road
The original chapel was built in 1807, rebuilt in 1844 and was demolished in 1968. A new Methodist Chapel was built in its place.
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Woodsend
Zoar Baptist Chapel, Back Lane
A Baptist chapel was opened in 1841 in Back Lane and rebuilt as New Zoar Chapel in 1868. The chapel was sold in 1914 and demolished at some time after 1931; its burial ground survives.
People and Parish Notables
Natives of Aldbourne are known as Dabchicks, named after the Little Grebe
Associations, Clubs, Organisations and Societies
Census Returns Transcripts
County coroners were introduced in England in around 1194 once established other boroughs and liberties sought the right to have their own coroner. Often in Medieval times the coroner also assumed the role of the sheriff and his duties weren't limited to holding inquests on dead bodies although almost a full time post they were unpaid for the duties apart from those that were deemed murder of manslaughter when they would receive 13s. 4d. From the 24th June 1752 a law was passed allowing the coroner to claim £1 for every inquest they attended not held in a gaol and also to claim 9d per mile travel allowance from the place of residence. Inquests held in any gaol were performed at a rate totalling no more than £1. These costs were to be paid from the county rates. In cases of homicide the coroner also received the former fee of 13s. 4d. The coroners submitted their bills at the quarter session sittings for approval. Coroners Bills 1752-1796
Elections, Polls & Politics
Nominations for Office
|Mavis Cheek - Novelist - 1948-||Gerald Brenan - Author and Historian - 1894-1987||Hilda Beatrice Currie - Liberal Politician - 1872-1939|
|Ruth Dalton - Labour Politician - 1890-1966||Gerald Finzi - Composer and Musicographer - 1901-1956||Joy Finzi - Artist - 1901-1991|
|Muriel Foster - Writer - 1877-1937||Ida Gandy - Writer - 1885-1977||Hammond Innes - Novelist - 1913-1998|
|Anthony Marreco - Barrister and Founding Director of Amnesty International - 1915-2006||Charles McEvoy - Dramatist, Author and Playwright||Desmond Morris - Zoologist, Ethologist and Writer - 1928-|
|Johnny Morris - Writer and Broadcaster - 1916-1999|
Poor Law, Charity and The Workhouse
Wiltshire Wills Indexes
War, Conflict and Military Matters
English Civil War
During WWII, U.S. Army paratroopers of Easy Company (part of the 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment of the 101st Airborne Division) were based at Aldbourne from late 1943 to mid-1944, in preparation for the D-Day landings of June 1944 and for Operation Market Garden in September. Both Easy Company and the village were featured in the 2001 American miniseries Band of Brothers.